Tips for Natural Birth

birth naturallyA natural birth is defined as an un-medicated vaginal birth. This type of birth is possible for about 85 percent of pregnant women. The other 15 percent might have health issues or complications that would put them or their baby at risk if they tried to have a natural birth. While 85 percent of women would successfully be able to achieve a natural birth, only about 67 percent of women in the United States have vaginal births, while the other 32 percent have Cesarean sections, according to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention.

61 percent of women who have vaginal births also opt for an epidural. If you want to have a natural birth, without the aid of any medication, then here are some tips to help you achieve your goal.

Make sure you are educated

It’s important to have a prenatal education. Look into classes that can show you how to manage labor pain and techniques to implement in the delivery room. Your hospital might even offer classes, and they can help you better prepare.

Choose a healthcare provider who supports natural births

It will be easier for you to have a natural birth if those taking care of you are supportive. This means the hospital, your doctor, your nurses, and so on. You can request those who are also into natural births and they can better help guide you and not push you into taking any medication.

Watch your weight gain

While weight gain is unavoidable to an extent, natural births tend to be harder for women who are overweight.

Aim for a low-intervention pregnancy

This will set a precedent for when you go into labor. Unless you have any medical conditions or pregnancy complications, you can opt to have less tests and treatments during the course of your pregnancy. This doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t still make sure to get your important prenatal exams to make sure you and your baby are healthy and progressing properly.

Stay home during early labor

Wait until you are at least less than 5 minutes apart with your contractions before heading to the hospital. Until then, you can stay home and move around, go for a walk, get in the tub, eat and drink.

Use water

Baths, showers, and hot compresses are natural ways to ease your labor pains and help you stay relaxed.

Implement your prenatal education

Now is the time to utilize all that you learned during your pregnancy. Breathe, meditate, listen to music, whatever helps you the best.

Be Sociable, Share!