That time I aced the test.

by heirtoblair on September 3, 2012

title: I aced the test, now what?

peestick That time I aced the test.
note: I am not currently pregnant.

It was a September morning in 2008, too early for the sun to be fully up. I had a feeling but I’d had “that feeling” the month before when it had been a lie. Doug peeked through one eye & asked me if I was going to take a test. I shrugged & padded into the bathroom where I followed the instructions carefully – I still wasn’t that skilled at taking the test. Then I crawled back under the covers with him while the test sat on my bedside table & I watched it closely. One minute. Two minutes. Three minutes. Nothing. I gave a wistful smile & Doug said, “I swear, I don’t know how anyone gets pregnant!” & I rolled my eyes because I’m usually the dramatic one in the relationship.

Then I looked over & saw two lines & my life changed in one flash, smaller than one second, shorter than one heartbeat. Suddenly, I had purpose & hope of things to come & I threw my arms around my husband in pure joy. We were having a baby. A baby! I grabbed a bagel & skipped the coffee since I already wasn’t feeling so hot (now I knew it was morning sickness, not the flu) & trotted into work with a secret smile on my face. I sat at my desk, flipped on my computer, & stared at my phone. It was a little after 8am & I needed to tell someone. Anyone. I wondered if the gal at the first floor nurse’s station could keep a secret.

Wait. Shouldn’t I call my OBGYN? When do I make an appointment? When do I get an ultrasound? What if they tell me I messed up the test & I’m not really pregnant? I nervously picked up the phone & punched in the numbers, biting my lips as it rang & the receptionist answered. “Hi,” I squeaked. “I think I need to come in because I think I’m pregnant. Actually, I am pregnant. I found out today. Do I need to come in? I don’t know what to do!” She laughed & congratulated me, taking my name & birthday. She scheduled the appointment four weeks out & I blurted “That long?!” She explained that the baby needed to be about 6-7 weeks to get a good picture on the ultrasound & hear a heartbeat. My shoulders dropped. That long? That long until I saw my baby? I ached to run over immediately & demand to see someone, to demand that they agree that yes! I was pregnant!

Instead, I hung up the phone & lovingly patted my invisible belly with the life inside. Then I leaned over & hurled up my bagel. Yep, I was pregnant.

Check out the Huggies Mommy Answers Facebook app and find more posts from bloggers sharing their experiences of motherhood on the Huggies page on BlogHer.com.

Shannon September 3, 2012 at 10:33 am

Damn I thought Hibby 2.0 was on the way!

Carolyn September 3, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Haha, I did the same thing after I got my first positive pregnancy test! I told my hubby, I called my parents, and then had to ask my dad, “Huh, what do I do now?” :) And when I called my OB, I pretty much said, “So, I took a pregnancy test, and it was positive, so, what do I do now?” :) I’m guessing they get that question quite a lot! ;) But having to wait so long for the first appointment was such torture!

bunny September 3, 2012 at 6:35 pm

I just jumped out of this chair–until I read further. i am too old for this!!! I love youDoug and precious Harrison. It will happen when youleast epect it to. get settled. Let us know about the house. praying everyday that the moving van will arrive soon. LOVE, Bunny and Harry So proud of Harrison’s progress.

Kelli G September 3, 2012 at 9:54 pm

Love the disclaimer ;)

Ali @thecoffeeqween September 4, 2012 at 2:51 am

I suck at keeping the baby secret. I did with my 3rd and lost it so when I got preggers with Callen I told immediate family but said keep it hush hush. I get this impatience from my mother so I knew she had told everyone by the time I got into my car:) and damn I thought you were telling us about H the sequel!!

Jenn September 5, 2012 at 2:27 pm

I was having horrible pain in my butt/leg/back and told my friend about it…..(we had been trying for over 2.5 years, and I had gone to see a fertility doctor to talk about options the DAY BEFORE…..) She said “Honey, that’s your sciatic nerve, and if it’s bad now……wait until you’re PREGNANT.” I had a bad rest of the day, drank 2 glasses of wine, and decided to take the one and only little pregnancy test that comes in the ovulation predictor kit that I had used for the month before….the same little OPK that said I wasn’t ovulating…..and I took the prego test just for fun. TWO GLASSES OF WINE, TWO MINUTE WAIT, and TWO LINES LATER…..I was preggo……….We got in the car and drove to Walgreens. It was true….I was pregnant. My husband asked….”Didn’t you just go to the fertility Doctor YESTERDAY?……and you came home pregnant?!?!?!?”……it was a great night, and no more wine later…..we are 30 weeks and counting!