Almost three.

by heirtoblair on August 3, 2012

I absolutely cannot get enough of this little bear cub lately.

almostthree Almost three.

Some time last week, I was about to write another post about thanking God I was watching my weight because I was about to eat my own young & how the “Terrible Two’s” are a lie to make you think that you’re doing an awesome job as a parent because two ain’t so bad but almost-three-years-old?  That is the devil’s playground.  Almost-three is a weapon of mass destruction upon your living room & heart & REM cycle.

But.

Almost-three brings this amazing ability for him to love me & not because I bring the food, but because I’m me & isn’t it awesome to just be loved because you’re…well, you?  I sing silly songs & he joins along & sometimes we sing “Kumbaya” but instead of saying “My Lord,” we say things like “My blanket!” & he thinks it’s amazing.  The other day he told me that he had a ”good attitude” & then asked for marshmallows & I took out one mini one as a reward for going potty & he holds up five fingers & says “Two ones, please?”  I couldn’t help it, I gave him two just because he’s blonde & cute & mine.  Then it’s awesome when he crawls in bed at 6am & snuggles up to me, rubbing his feet together with a wee smile & I think it can’t get any better, this little boy snoozing between me & the man I love.

Amy August 3, 2012 at 1:25 pm

It’s awesome isn’t it? I love when Lexi tells me she loves me for no reason other than just because. Or when she runs into our bedroom in the morning exclaiming “Mommy!” like she hasn’t seen me in days instead of since the night before. It makes having my house look like a tornado of toys came through and all the moments of frustration worth it.

Jess August 3, 2012 at 1:49 pm

They get more amazing with each day. All you can do is melt on those days when they do have an extra “good attitude” and you are putty.

Kelli G August 3, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Amen, my friend. My oldest is a day younger (or maybe older? my brain sucks) than your little bear cub and I could have written this about him too. I think the overwhelming sweetness is an inherent survival mechanism because otherwise, we totally would eat them when that sweetness is overtaken by the aliens or spirits or whatever beings overtake their little bodies and cause them to spew green stuff and make their heads spin.

Lindsay August 3, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Kaia says “two ones” too, and it is one of my favorites. Yes, maybe not colloquially correct, but it’s an absolutely accurate phrase!

Ali @thecoffeeqween August 3, 2012 at 3:04 pm

The day aiden said when I get older like my dad I wanna my mommy. My heart melted like never before. Of course now he is almost 6 and discovered adorable girls at school but I will always have that moment. People ask me how my boy are still so cuddly and lovable and honestly I don’t know. I imagine it’s because everyone we have purposefully put in their lives to care for them (us, our families, sitters and preschool teachers) are extremely loving. I know that one day they will be all mom please drop me off around the corner but for now i still enjoy him telling me he loves me to the moon and back every night and not being able to fall asleep until I’ve watched him sleep several times. Enjoy it ba!

Law Momma August 3, 2012 at 3:36 pm

almost three is terrifyingly wonderful.

And yeah… as much as I want to strangle him, I also want to hug him and never let him go.

Sarah August 3, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Beth Anne! This is totally adorable. Love this snapshot of life for the two of you :)

Lisa August 3, 2012 at 6:41 pm

I’m right there with you on the “almost 3″ stage. But the sweet moments, they are oh so very sweet! Great post!

Nicole August 3, 2012 at 8:35 pm

Enjoy the almost 3 it is amazing. Because 3 and older is crazy! I wish I appreciated the almost 3 more.

Samantha Vermeulen August 3, 2012 at 10:12 pm

When Bray doesn’t want Daddy to leave for work he says, “Daddy sit couch two minutes?”. I love how they are starting to negotiate! Lol

Julia August 4, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Last night my daughter(who will be 3 on the 24th) laughed and told me I squeezing her too tight! What a great problem to have! It is good they are so sweet because good grief they can be a hand full!

Mel August 6, 2012 at 10:27 am

It can’t get any better, but then it does. Kids are the best. What a sweet post.

Kel August 7, 2012 at 1:07 pm

3 years can definitely be trying!! BUT, also some of the funnest and sweetest times. Just when you want to throw in the towel and give up, they do the sweetest little thing… or when you see their happy little face in the morning, it’s like all the difficulties the day before have been washed away. :)

Mae (Life's Candy) August 10, 2012 at 9:22 am

“Two ones” is one my favorite toddler sayings. I’m gonna cry when Piper stops.