Get involved…in front of a camera!

by heirtoblair on July 31, 2012

Get involved…in front of a camera!

hb1 Get involved…in front of a camera!

Here’s the thing about pregnancy – it’s pretty much a vagina show. No, seriously. The vagina is totally important in getting pregnant & then it’s checked pretty regularly & then there’s that whole mess of pushing the baby through the canal.

Since the vagina is a headliner, it means the momma, who holds said vagina, is the essential part of pregnancy. In the first trimester it’s all about how-can-she-stop-puking & then let’s-decorate in the second trimester & then let’s-get-this-show-going in the third. It’s all about her comfort, her glow, her choices, & her celebration.

It’s not to say the dude is tossed to the side. He’s very much loved & congratulated. But last time I checked, an all-male baby shower is a rare occurrence & he doesn’t get/have to buy an entire new wardrobe.

I’m assuming this can make the daddy-to-be feel a little…left out. Sure, he’s proud as a peacock – my husband adores me & was thrilled at the idea of having a son, but there was also a fair share of HEY, LOOK HOW I IMPREGNANTED THAT FEMALE! Biology at its finest, friends.

I’ll admit I was the one who pushed for maternity pictures – I mostly wanted documentation of my time “in bloom” with Harrison before I became too swollen or cranky. I thought about how I wanted to be posed, what I would wear, but I also knew Doug would be a big part of these pictures.

After all, the kid was 50% his even if I was getting 90% of the attention. I took a page from my friend Jill’s maternity pictures by bringing in beers & fun for Doug.

hb2 Get involved…in front of a camera!

I wanted him to be comfortable, to feel like himself. But I also wanted him to feel involved, like: Hey! Here’s something we can do together to celebrate what we’ve created.

We met with a friend one afternoon (they don’t have to be done by an expensive photographer!) & she shot pictures with his hands on my belly or the two of us cuddled up on a set of steps.

Three years later, I still adore these pictures. It was much sweeter & more fun than painting the nursery.

Check out the Huggies Mommy Answers Facebook app! Find more posts from bloggers sharing their experiences of motherhood on the Huggies page on BlogHer.com.

Beth July 31, 2012 at 5:49 pm

I love this post! Its all so treu! I cherish my maternity pictures even though i look like a beached whale and Kee needed to make his appearance just 5 days later. That was such a special time!

Erin July 31, 2012 at 5:50 pm

I didn’t do maternity photos b/c well honestly I didn’t get the point of them…I do now :). But I did take a weekly belly shot & I’m so glad I did. It’s neat to look back & see me changing week to week & those pictures bring back memories of what we were doing, thinking & all the excitement during that time…oh & the 14wks of sickness too!

Alisha July 31, 2012 at 6:02 pm

I swear I love your maternity pics. The second one has stayed in my head and makes me think of some fun cheeky things I can do for an upcoming maternity shot for two friends…like having them at the driving range and her blowing kisses or something silly like that. You gotta mix in the fun wherever you can :)

Meghan July 31, 2012 at 7:57 pm

I love your pics! That’s one of the major things I was/am super bummed I didn’t get to do. I had planned to, but then the whole fiasco of almost dying happened. Then I wished I had professional pics of Kenzie in the NICU. All I have are our disposable camera pics (which we didn’t even finish a whole camera – I had hoped the nurses would take pics while I wasn’t there) and the digital pics taken by family members.

However, in reality, it’s not that big of a deal I guess. I’m healthy, Mackenzie is healthy – we say she’s a cross between and elephant and a kangaroo the way she stomps around and jumps all. the. time. But I love seeing others maternity pics… let’s me live vicariously through them a little. :-)

Lindsay July 31, 2012 at 8:11 pm

I just had maternity photos taken 2 weeks ago and I’m so excited to get them back. We are expecting our first baby and even though I feel fat and huge I knew I would regret it later if I didn’t get them done. So happy to have some confirmation that other people still love their maternity photos.

Laura July 31, 2012 at 9:15 pm

That picture with the ice cream and beer is great! Wish I had thought of something like that.

sam August 1, 2012 at 10:38 am

i adore maternity pictures!! i had them done with my last 2 babies and i wish i had done them with the first two. we even did birth pictures with this one too. which i totally recommend. she captured all the things moms miss in the first few minutes of life because we are bound to a bed pushing out a placenta. I love pictures in general i think :-)

Surf Momma August 1, 2012 at 10:58 am

So cute :) I had some scheduled and missed them because I was in the hospital and then on bed rest – its still something I wish we had!

Beth August 1, 2012 at 5:15 pm

We had maternity photos scheduled when I was 38 weeks, but baby came at 37 weeks 5 days. I was so disappointed! Well, I guess there’s always next time…

Sara August 2, 2012 at 11:16 am

I never had thought of having maternity pictures done….and I really wish I would have, even if I looked like a swollen, fat whale…. ;-) Maybe next time.