When you’re on Jeopardy & the answer is “Person who never learns her lesson,” the question is “Who is Beth Anne?”

by heirtoblair on July 20, 2012

It happened again.

Remember these chairs, the ones that got away?  I’m still crying over them.

Today I took my lunch break at Home Goods, which is a mixture of retail therapy & torture that I’m not still in my new house.  I checked to see if there were chairs that I love (yes! navy scroll! already sold! damn it!) & then sauntered into the lamp section where two lovely tall faux glass lamps sat with aqua mini-pleated shades.  It’s hard to describe, but was seriously delicious.  Then I found two matching lamps that had the same we-are-acrylic-that-looks-like-glass, so basically the most toddler-friendly pretty thing ever.  I thought for a minute about where I’d put them, thinking about maybe on the bar in the dining room or perhaps in the living room towards the back.  Or maybe that would be too light & airy for the couches we own, but I could always do slipcovers.  Then I snapped my fingers & was all, I’ll put the tall blue one on the foyer table.  So I head back, not one full minute later & they were gone.

twitter When youre on Jeopardy & the answer is Person who never learns her lesson, the question is Who is Beth Anne?

I never even saw it coming.  They must have grabbed n’ ran.  It’s like they know what they did, right?!

Here’s the thing, I dress like a homeless person when I go to HomeGoods on purpose so that people won’t follow me around because “Hey! That girl in the Old Navy plaid camp flannel must have awesome taste!” SAID NOBODY EVER.  Really, the unbrushed hair & flip flops are all part of my genius plan to throw you off the scent of my impeccable taste.

THEN.

Then I trotted into regular TJ Maxx to see if maybe they had stolen one of those lamps to sell for themselves & I saw this gorgeous scroll-filled black coat rack by the front door.  I pondered it for a moment & then pulled myself away because those things are just so useless in reality.  Five seconds later, I remember that the coat closet in my new house is ill-placed in the living room (wtf) & I NEED A COAT RACK.  I spin on my heel & stop dead in my tracks because there’s this dude eyeing my coat rack & testing it for sturdiness.  I wait.  I tap my foot.  He keeps looking.  I tweet “OMG IT IS HAPPENING AGAIN!” but I think he could feel the hositility rolling off of me so he wisened up & walked away.

I grabbed that rack & it was pretty much like this:

60306082479739318 kKMisNHA c When youre on Jeopardy & the answer is Person who never learns her lesson, the question is Who is Beth Anne?

Maija @ Maija's Mommy Moments July 20, 2012 at 2:49 pm

I can just picture all of this… laughing at the thought of it all. Also wishing I had that lamp!

mae July 20, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Sending you so much lamp dust right now…

Casey July 20, 2012 at 3:14 pm

So freakin’ funny! About fell out of my work chair!

Nicole at Mommt Moxie July 20, 2012 at 3:23 pm

“Not today bitch”- LMFAO!! Sorry about the lamps. Did you take a picture? I’d be on the lookout at our HG if you love them that much.

Sara @ The Maurers July 20, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Hilarious, but I know how you feel, becauseit happens to me. And, it happens to me A LOT! You’d think I would have learned my lesson by now as well….guess not.

R July 20, 2012 at 3:31 pm

LOL. That happened to me 5 years ago with a sale Ralph Lauren hand bag. And it still pains me to think about it…Hilarious picture too.

Ruthy T. (@DiscoveryStreet) July 20, 2012 at 3:49 pm

omg…i can’t stop laughing (not at your prior misfortune…that sucks)

Bethany July 20, 2012 at 4:16 pm

LOL score one for BA!!

Jessica @ The Happy Monster July 20, 2012 at 4:30 pm

This made my whole day, Beth Anne. Thanks!

sarah July 20, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Once my dd and I were standing infront of a bag discussing its merits, we turned our heads to look at another, and when we turned back a woman was picking up “our” bag and even when I said oh darn we were just on the verge of buying that she refused to relinquish it. The worst part: when she purchased it we overheard that the thing was on discount, it only cost $11 instead of $30. If looks could kill, I’d be visiting the poor lady in the cemetery, and I’d carry flowers for her in my $11 bag.

Julia July 20, 2012 at 6:22 pm

Nice strategy with the clothes. I bring my 3 year old. Right before dinner. No one wants to be around a whiny kid (even those related to said kiddo). Well played.

Kara July 21, 2012 at 7:02 pm

I went into a store today and tried on a coat that was on the rack and a woman ran up and was all “I am going to buy that” she came off as supper crazy so at least you are not that person.

Melissa July 21, 2012 at 9:51 pm

The town I live in has a fb page set up to sell things and first comment gets first dibs. I have been looking for some old solid wood dressers I can fix up and someone posted one for only $25 and I was in the process of typing when another comment pops up and beats me. I seriously yelled “Damn you!” My husband came in from the other room to see what I was screaming about.