The baby name fight.

by heirtoblair on July 6, 2012

DSC 0086 2 199x300 The baby name fight.

Harrison & Harrison

Aside from the puking & nearly passing out & not fitting into my clothes & swelling & stretch marks, picking out Harrison’s name had to be the hardest part of pregnancy. The problem (& I use “problem” loosely considering the circumstance) was that Harrison had a penis. It was the only reason I gasped when they announced he was a boy at the ultrasound, because I knew there was a fight ahead. If he had been rocking the girl bits, we would have thrown any number of girl names we loved into a hat – Kathryn & Caroline topped the list – but we were stumped when it came to boy names.

Doug didn’t want a “Junior,” but he wasn’t opposed to naming our son William after his father. The problem was the 13 other Williams on my side of the family. (I’m not exaggerating.) I tossed out Mason, but he said there was this dude he knew 15 years ago that was a brat that kind of ruined the name for him. ::blank stare:: Then I tossed out Max, Joshua, Matthew, Wilson, Benjamin, Callum, David, Christopher, Drew, Nicholas, etc. I tried trendy & traditional & weird, but still Doug shook his head. He suggested William & Dean.

I swore that we’d never land on a boy name. Then one night, girlfriends of mine jokingly suggested that we give our boy the initials of “HJ,” like how I used to call him HJ for Harpie Jr. on the blog. They started tossing out names of Henry, Huck, Hal, Harrison…wait.

Harrison. I loved it immediately. It was classic but different, a name he could use as a little boy but grow into as a man. Even better, it was the name of a family friend that I adored, someone who had acted as my grandfather my entire life. I was sold & I tentatively suggested it to Doug…& he loved it.

For a few days, we tested it out & I whispered it in the car to my growing belly. We didn’t need to do more than that; it was already his name. We had decided that while Doug didn’t want a Junior, it would be nice to use his name for our son. We’re traditional like that & while at first his named seemed too long & clunky, it now flows beautifully.

Did you have a fight to name your kid? Was it a Top 10 name or a family name or something you overheard & loved?

Check out the Huggies Mommy Answers Facebook app!

Find more posts from bloggers sharing their experiences of motherhood on the Huggies page on BlogHer.com.

Johanna July 6, 2012 at 1:51 pm

I knew we were having a girl for the simple fact that we could not agree on girl names. Our boy name has been set in stone for ages. Luckily, we found a name that fits her so very well.

Meghan July 6, 2012 at 2:17 pm

I liked the name Elizabeth Jane for our daughter, but my husband also knew an Elizabeth from childhood that ruined it. Now, though, I wouldn’t have dreamed of my girl being anyone other than Mackenzie Danielle. She’s gonna curse me when she gets in school and has to spell it… it’s effing long! Beautiful, but long. :-)

Also, I had a boys name picked out… but unless we adopt, it will just be a distant dream in the back of my mind. :-(

Beth July 6, 2012 at 2:31 pm

No fight here amoung Ry and I. We had a top 5 list which we both loved. However, my family had their opinions and thus Keegan Thomas came to be. Now he is the cutest best named little boy in heaven! <3

Heather July 6, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Back in college, a group of girlfriends and I were gathered in my dorm room talking about names. We started looking up baby names on the internet (back before there were really even baby name sites) and I came across the name Addison. At that point (nearly 10 years ago) I had never heard that name. And when I saw that the name meant “child of Adam”, which was also the name of my then boyfriend of 8 years and hopefully one day husband, I was sold. If (when) we married and ever had a daughter, I would name her for him. Growing up, I always wished I had the kind of name that could shorten into a nickname (hard to do with Heather) and so I always wanted to give my own kid a name that gave her the chance to have a nickname or not.

Then Grey’s Anatomy happened and Addison got popular but I held on! And when we found out we were having a girl, it was the only girl name we agreed on. Her middle name, Brooks, is the name we would have used for a boy (Its my FIL’s middle name and was HIS father’s middle name). But once we were finally pregnant, I realized there is no guarantee that we would ever have a boy to use that name on and I love the way it flowed, and so Addison Brooks, or Addie B. as she is now known was born!

I’m a total sucker for family names and names that mean something. And also, I am totally screwed next time because I used up all my kid naming ability the first go round. Woops.

Becky @ From Ministry to Motherhood July 6, 2012 at 2:35 pm

We never wrestled over boy names. There was one name we both loved and everyone else hated which we took as a sign it was meant to be. It’s an good name not at all trendy but not unheard of in today’s society. The name carries history with it and I happen to love it. The people who hated the name told me it was too big a name for him and I should reconsider.

It was not. It is perfect. They all tell me that now. HAHAHA

If our son had been a daughter it would’ve been a completely different story. There were no names we could agree on or even really liked. It’s a very good thing we had a boy!

Stef July 6, 2012 at 2:39 pm

I grew up super close to my mom’s side of the family & my grandfather’s name was William Jackson. DS1 is named William, but we have lots of Williams in our family (who go by William, Will Billy or Bill) so ours is a “Liam.” I’m stunned by how many people don’t realize that Liam is a nickname for William. DS2 is Jackson, Jack for short.

No arguing for boys names– DH liked these names well enough & we agreed that he could pick whatever he wanted for the middle names. (He went with his middle name & mother’s maiden name for DS1 & just picked something he liked for DS2. ) Settling on a potential girl name took some major arguing…though. We ended up with Emerson Elizabeth– Emmy for short. Emerson we both just liked & Elizabeth is my mother’s name. We’ll see if we ever use it!

Caitlyn July 6, 2012 at 10:02 pm

My DS2 is Liam as well. Liam actually is a the Gaelic derivative of the name William, not a nickname for it.

Melissa July 6, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Our first son we settled on a name, but it was the only name we agreed on! When we found out we were having a second boy I knew we were in for a fight! Then my husband got stuck on this idea of naming him after a bass boat, Triton or Skeeter. I couldn’t believe it. We were getting closer and closer. Finally one day I made him a deal. I could name the baby what I wanted and he could buy a bass boat. So I got my Landon and he got a Skeeter. :) Now my cute little Landon uses Skeeter as a nickname. *sigh*

Brandy July 6, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Landon was to be Langdon after my MIL’s side of the fam. We had heard it once and loved it and it meant something. But then we figured people are idiots and would just end up calling him Landon because it was more popular…so we rolled with that.

Dolphin may have a name…just figured out last weekend…it will be something we both like and middle something sentimental to K and I. We like having something to connect it but not something blatantly obvious.

Katie July 6, 2012 at 2:49 pm

We are in a similar situation now. Our first daughter was HARD to find a name for. We ended up with a short list and decided after she was born.

Now we found out we’re having another girl (which is awesome because 1) I didn’t want to buy new clothes and 2) squee! sisters!) And…no clue on names. At all. And now whatever we pick has to “go” with #1. Cue panic attacks…

Erinasmommy July 6, 2012 at 2:58 pm

I also said “crap” when I found out it was a boy, and not because I didn’t want a boy, but because I knew we were in for a name battle. I’ve never liked father/son of the same name. When I was 8 years old and my parents named my brother after my dad, I thought “WHY???” My husband on the other hand knew his son would share his name, just as he shared his father’s name – Clinton. (They all have different middle names, so there are no Jrs) So really the battle was just me getting comfortable with it, because even my own Grandma told me I had to name him Clinton. It wasn’t the name itself, just the repetition that bothered me. Now, almost two years later I cannot imagine my boy of any other name. He doesn’t yet realize that he and daddy have the same name, but I know when he does, the pride from those two guys is going to be beeming!

Jessica July 6, 2012 at 3:14 pm

We are currently in talks for our Baby Boy’s name. He’s due on Sunday, we might want to get our asses in gear.

We are planning on naming our son after my husband’s best friend who passed away years ago from cancer. My husband is worried people will think that is odd. I couldn’t disagree more. I think it would be a wonderful way to not only remember his friend, but hopefully pass down characteristics of a wonderful person, who touched many, many lives in a short period of time.

Robyn July 6, 2012 at 5:24 pm

I think that is a beautiful way to honor your husband’s friend!

Laurie July 6, 2012 at 3:25 pm

My family has a vacation home in Harrison Maine, I have a cousin named Harrison after that small town in Maine, he is 16 now! Love that name!

Claudia July 6, 2012 at 3:44 pm

We had decided on a girl name early on in my first pregnancy, but DH knew we were having a boy. And sure enough, there were his manly parts. I would write name after name, text and email names. When I landed up going into the hospital at 30w4d we still didn’t have a name. Luckily I asked for my outdated handy dandy spiral bound planner where some name were written down that I hadn’t had a chance to run by DH yet. He immediately fell in love with one name and it flowed nicely with his middle name (also my dad’s first name). He tested the names to see how they sounded when you yell it out like they are in trouble. That’s how we ended up with Emrys (welsh, means Immortal) John just one day before he was born at 31w1d.
When I became pregnant with number 2, 7 short months later I thought for sure it’s a girl. And then I realized, I didn’t want to use the name we had chosen because it was very, very similar to Emrys, it was Erys/Eris. Luckily I ended up having another boy, but none of the names on the list would work and the search started all over. This time we were looking for a strong V name. We landed up with Varick Rain. Couldn’t imagine them being named anything else.

Celine July 6, 2012 at 4:51 pm

i have always loved the name Gabriel and hoped to use it for a son one day, I struck it lucky when it turns out my hubbys estranged father is called Gabriel and he was happy to choose it :)
Funny if Gabriel had been a girl we liked Zoey, and almost exactrly 2 years after Gabriel was born we had our daughter and Zoey was nowhere near our list, again before I even knew it was a girl the name Sabrina rang in my heart, and she suits that name well :)

shasta July 6, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Mittens’ real name was inspired by my in-laws’ first cat. It’s a ridiculous story but it’s the only name we could agree on because, for the most part, I hate all girl names…except that one. Heaven help us if we have another child (ah!) and it’s another girl (double ah!). She might just remain ‘Baby Girl’ by default.

Katie July 6, 2012 at 5:20 pm

boy names were easy for us. it’s girl names that would kill us.

also? harrison is the top of the list if we ever procreate again…i hope that isn’t weird. it’s been there for a long time…but eddie and charlie were first.

Robyn July 6, 2012 at 5:22 pm

I am currently pregnant with my first child, and I can already see that choosing a name is going to be quite the battle. My husband tends to like very traditional simple names, and while I’m not about to name my child something totally off the wall, I like things to be a bit more unique. The other day I suggested “Sawyer,” and my husband furrowed his brow and replied, “For a NAME?” I guess I got my answer. We have pretty much halted all name discussion until after our 20 week ultrasound. I figure why invest the time when 50% of the names will be thrown out in a few weeks anyway?

Jael Carson July 6, 2012 at 7:59 pm

Yes!!! This exactly!!

Jessica July 9, 2012 at 1:50 pm

My husband and I did the same thing.
We found out we were having a boy at our 23 week ultrasound. As we were driving home we each rattled off our list of names, none of them the same or similar. We never brought it up again until this past week. Our son is currently 2 days over due :)

Kittie July 6, 2012 at 7:17 pm

We have had a boy name on lockdown since long before I actually got pregnant. About 3.5 seconds after I got my BFP, I suggested a girl name (one I had picked out & had my heart set on for ages) & DH immediately agreed. Both our boy & girl names are family names, one from each side (first names both happen to be from my side, both middle names from his). Should we have v2.0, I already have names picked out, & I think DH will agree with them since they follow the same theme. T-13 days until we find out which we’ll get to use this time!

Lindsay July 6, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Our fight was in the girl name — neither of us could agree at all — so I was so relieved when they said it was a boy! We had our name picked out years before I was pregnant. Of course, if we ever have another child, it’ll be a fight either way!

sarah July 6, 2012 at 8:04 pm

I did have a fight with my daughter’s name, and ending up calling her something as a compromise. I hated the name, and as it turned out the rest of the world loved it, and by the time she was 4 she was finding herself in classrooms with three other girls of the same name. So she hated it too. When she asked to change it, I gladly said yes. That was six years ago and some of our family still have trouble with the change, but we’re so glad we did it.

Kelli W July 6, 2012 at 8:08 pm

We are currently having the same problem. We had girls name all picked out, but the minute we knew we were having a boy, all of a sudden we were at an stand still. Hoping to get the creative juices pumping soon.

Kacia July 6, 2012 at 8:34 pm

Oh my goodness: BABY HARRISON!!!!!!!!!!!

And yes. that was our biggest argument … i would get so mad! He “no’d” all of my ideas, but didn’t bring any to the table.

I told him that in the end, I was pushing our baby out, so I got the final say.

Thankfully we agreed and it didn’t come to that ;o]

Amber July 6, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Our first son was relatively easy…we agreed on Jackson right away. Now that he is 3 years old, I see there are so many Jacksons. I never realized it was so popular. With my 2nd son who is now 3 months old, we couldnt agree on ANYTHING. He remained nameless until a few days before he was born. I like more trendy different names. My husband likes very old school traditional names. We wanted something not so common, and definitely southern. In the end, we could only agree on one name- Rhett, and it has really grown on us. We love it (and him!)

Isha July 6, 2012 at 10:59 pm

I wanted to name our baby Leilani, but we aren’t even a tiny bit Hawaiian. One day, my husband sent me an email saying, I tihnk her name should be Evelyn Grace. And there we were :)

Dana July 6, 2012 at 11:56 pm

I have always lived the name Jackson (gasp! Before it was trendy). My husband is stubborn so when
We started talking about names I told him that I loved Jackson and I would
Call him Jack. And I let it sit with him. Months later when we found out we were having a boy, I asked what names he liked. He casually said, “the name Jackson is nice”.

All I ha to do was plant the seed and let it grow.

MommaExpat July 7, 2012 at 4:49 am

Naming our “HJ” was easy. Jacob is his middle name but my husband wanted something unique. He proudly picked it out all by himself and I was in love with it. I originally wanted Jackson but a coworker swiped that one up for herself. =)

Kari July 7, 2012 at 9:28 am

We have four kids (now teens/tween), three of which are boys. Each time I was pregnant, I would suggest the name ‘Zachary’ for a boy. My husband always said no, it was too common or he wasn’t sure he liked it. With our 4th, we knew we were having a boy. He was almost two days old before we decided on a name. I wanted ‘Spencer’ but my husband “suddenly came up with” the idea of naming him Zachary…like he just thought it up and it was the perfect name (even though I already suggested it with our other pregnancies). Anyway, we finally got our Zachary. Our other kids are Cameron, Connor, and Shelby.

Stephanie July 7, 2012 at 12:07 pm

My parents made a deal. If I was a boy, my dad could name me. If I was a girl, my mom would. My dad’s name is Eugene and I don’t know if he was really into “Rock Me Amadeus” or what but I was about THIS close to being Falco Eugene. Thank heavens for girly bits! My mom was thrilled when I became Stephanie Elaine.

The Many Thoughts of a Reader July 7, 2012 at 4:27 pm

I always love hearing how people come up with their names. We discussed names foreeeever and didn’t have a clear idea heading into the delivery room. It was either Isla or Audrey and I was super hard rooting for Isla and figured after labor I’d win out. I did. ;) My husband really didn’t care but he had opinions on what he didn’t like. The middle name is after my grandma and there really wasnt even much of a fight over that either. I asked if he wanted to use a middle name of anyone in his fam and he said no. ;P

Emma July 7, 2012 at 9:05 pm

We had a first name for a boy, because I’m naming my son for my grandfather, but we could not decide on a middle name. I had the same stubbornness for my daughter’s middle name, but we came up with her first name, Gabriella, from a B&B we stayed in during our honeymoon. We didn’t exactly name her after an Italian stranger, but I like the reminder of the trip.

Erica July 7, 2012 at 10:17 pm

Girl, all three (3!) of my kids didn’t have names for days. We would get a short list of names going and then feel stumped. We wanted traditional, different but not trendy, and nothing that would make a substitute teacher stumble. Husband is also SUPER Irish, so we also set that limitation. Naming is HARD! We didn’t decide until we the birth certificate woman was standing in our hospital room (for like, the umpteenth time) doing last call for names and we had to bite the bullet and just commit already.

Elizabeth July 8, 2012 at 12:08 am

My oldest daughter’s name was one of the things I said I would never change for a future husband. So when my husband and I had been dating about six months, I told him “Look, if we ever have a girl, I am naming her Magnolia.” Thank goodness, he was OK with it because I might have left if he had said no. I have only met two other Magnolia’s ever but I still LOVE her name. (We call her Maggie).
When I found out I was having another girl last summer, I freaked out because we had only ever had one girl and one boy name. We loved the name Lucy but we couldn’t decide if it was a stand-alone name or a nickname. We didn’t like any of the longer forms of Lucy though (Lucia, Lucille, etc.) We finally took some inspiration from the Beatles, and named her Lucy Eleanor. It fits her perfectly!

Kyla July 8, 2012 at 8:48 am

We named our son after my husband’s favorite movie when he was a kid (Oliver) and after the chef who got him into cooking (Jamie Oliver) and then middle name after my grandfather. When we found out our second would be a girl we had picked a couple names and were having trouble deciding. Oliver was 2 1/2 and I was talking about the baby in my belly and the 2 names and he said “baby Soapie”-so our decision was made, Sophie. We used my husband’s grandmother’s name for the middle name.

Katie July 8, 2012 at 11:19 pm

Names weren’t that difficult for us only because we use family names. The night I got engaged to my husband, my father-in-law said, “Now what are you going to name your first son?” And without hesitation, I said, “William Lowe IV, of course.” My husband was the one who needed convincing on that point. In his family the younger William has always been called Billy and then graduated to Bill when he hit adulthood. My husband still has a hard time getting his family to call him Bill, which was one of the reasons he had against naming our son after him. I, however, suggested “Will” as the baby’s nickname rather than “Billy” as it would grow from boyhood to adulthood and because Prince William is hot. So now we have our little Will 4, or Quattro, as we sometimes call him.

For our second son, if my parents had had a boy, they were going to name him John David– John after my great-grandfather and David after my father. They never had a boy, and so when I got pregnant with John, I proposed the name. It was perfect because in addition to being a family name on my side, my mother-in-law really wanted a grandchild named after her father, whose name was also John. So I hit two birds with one name. Furthermore, we have a four syllable, 12-letter last name, so I wanted easy-to-pronounce, familiar, one-syllable first names for my kids to balance that long last name.

For our third, I’ve settled on names for both genders, and again, they’re family names, but I won’t share them yet because I’m only eight weeks pregnant and I don’t want to jinx anything :) Anyway, I love reading how other people named their children. It’s very interesting.

Colleen July 9, 2012 at 9:31 am

Our daughter was “Baby Girl” for 3 days. We made the decision the day we left the hospital. The name we chose was my husband’s number 1 pick all along–I finally came around. It’s the perfect name for our girl.

Amber July 9, 2012 at 10:10 am

With our first born, a girl, we had about 30 names picked out the day after we found out her gender. It took a bit of going back and forth but we ended up with Katelyn Elizabeth. I wanted a name that could grow with her and be versatile (Katelyn, Katie, Kate). With our second child, who I thought was going to be a girl from the get-go, turned out to be a boy. He was a little more difficult to name. My husband and I both felt giving him a family, more traditional name would be the best. So we took the names of both of our great grandfathers, Bennett Peter. Again, his first name can grow with him. Plus, Bennett Peter has been a great name to yell at him in the “mom voice” when he’s naughty! :)

Melissa July 9, 2012 at 10:16 am

We didn’t fight at all about names. When I was pregnant with my daughter, we knew if it was a girl her name would be Caroline (after my mother-in-law). Then, because I wanted my name and my mom a part too, her middle name Gracelynn was decided (I’m Gracie Melissa, my mom Brenda Lynn). The boy on the other hand was a little harder. I knew I wanted a J name because my husband, his two brothers, and his dad were all J’s. We looked and read in baby name books and then found Jace. My husband he liked it and then said “that’s one of the Duck Commander’s son’s names.” (If any of you are familiar with Duck Dynasty on A&E, that is who is is talking about. We have been fans long before they were TV stars. LOL) So when I got pregnant with my son, we knew right off his name would be Jace if it was a boy. (Had it been a girl, we were screwed. I had used up all the girl names!) Alas it was a boy and I texted a few suggestions for middle names and my husband texted one and that was it. His middle name is Murvin (yes, weird, i know) named after my husband’s grandfather. Our names fit our children perfectly. Caroline is as sweet as my m-i-l but as feisty as my mom and I. And to hear her say her name with her little southern drawl just melts my heart.

Carolyn July 10, 2012 at 1:59 am

We ended up starting a baby name spreadsheet (color coded so we could remember who suggested what name). The girl list had a few names on it that had been vetoed, and a few that we both liked. The boy list had DOZENS of names suggested and vetoed by the other person. So, of course we had a boy. And then of COURSE he arrived nearly a month earlier than anticipated, so we hadn’t had time to come to an agreement on anything before he was born! (You know what makes an extended hospital and NICU stay even more difficult? Being woken up every morning by someone asking if you’ve filled out the social security forms yet!) ;) Thank goodness we saved the spreadsheet, because we’re preparing for baby #2, and I’d already forgotten the names I suggested that were shot down previously ;)