29.

by heirtoblair on June 3, 2012

I was going to write something yesterday about turning 29 & how June 2nd seemed to creep up on me this year with all the other things in life grabbing my attention.  Truthfully, I spent 90% of the day in an allergy-drugged haze because I’m pretty sure Doug tried to sabotage me by rubbing a cat on me in the middle of the night, which turned into a 2-hour sneezing tailspin that pulled both back & belly muscles.

Yes, I am that out of shape which is probably fitting considering my old age.

I jest, I jest.

24478fdeab7e11e1af7612313813f8e8 7 29.

I’m one year away from thirty, which seemed like such a mature & old age when I was 16.  I suppose the irony of this coming year is that I still feel 16 & I’m a little uncomfortable that in my mind, I’m on my 13th round of being 16 & I’m still wondering how I passed my driving test & that I’m actually married & it’s totally cool that I have sex on the regular.

There’s a pretty popular meme in life that goes something like 30 By 30 & it’s a list of things to do & accomplish & see before you say goodbye to the carefree years of the twenties.  My good friend & fellow June 2nd birthday girl, Morgan, said it best that “it just serves as a VIRAL REMINDER TO PANIC over whatever item on the list you haven’t checked off.

In short, those kinds of lists don’t do well for people-pleasers like me who shrivel at the mere thought of disappointing anyone, be damned how it makes me feel inside.  I don’t know what I want this last year in my twenties to be – certainly not a slide into thirty, waving my martini glass & shouting “What a ride!” or whatever cute kitschy phrase you might find on a Pinterest graphic.  I’d just like to be settled by the time June 2, 2013 rolls around to where I’m back under one roof with my boys full time & not wondering what will happen when COBRA runs out or if we’ll rent or buy or rent or buy or…oh, God.  That decision changes every day.

So you probably won’t see me skydiving or running a half-marathon this year.  I’d just like to find a steady pace in life, to grow & settle at the exact same time.

Kristin June 3, 2012 at 9:06 pm

Happy Birthday! Funny – you’re on your 13th year of being 13, while I’m on my 8th year of being 29!

Oh, the irony. :)

Kristin June 3, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Whoops! 16, not 13.

I can do maths.

Jess @ MomEinstein June 3, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Happy Birthday! Hope your 30th year is fabulous!

Brianna June 3, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Happy birthday!

Marta June 3, 2012 at 9:21 pm

Happy Birthday yesterday! I had a 25 before 25 list and didn’t accomplish quite a few of the things. Instead of accomplishing them by 30, I would just like to be happy with what I have. We’ll see if I find this illusive contentment.

jess liv June 3, 2012 at 9:37 pm

psh 30 by 30 insinuates that you’re losing something by gaining one year. you’ve got a lot of life left to live — spread it out, keep every year interesting!

happy birthday (:

Maija @ Maija's Mommy Moments June 3, 2012 at 9:42 pm

Happy Birthday!!!

Ali @thecoffeeqween June 3, 2012 at 9:52 pm

Happy Birthday young lady!! You make me feel old at the ripe old age of 32! I feel like 30′s isn’t old anymore. This is my time to have babies and enjoy their life. My 40′s will be my coming of age.

Diana @Hormonal Imbalances June 3, 2012 at 11:20 pm

Happy Birthday! I sent you a cat as a present in the mail so you might want to get Doug to open the box…

You’ll hit 30 2 months before I do, so I can’t wait to find out how it is next year. I’m a little freaked out to be 30.

Nicole June 3, 2012 at 11:32 pm

Happy Birthday!

Enjoy it! The big 3-0 isn’t so bad. So far I’m enjoying it more than my 20′s :)

Lacey June 3, 2012 at 11:51 pm

Happy Birthday!

I always used to say in my 19-23 age range that I wanted to be 30 (I still have 2 years to go) because you “should” be settled by then (marriage, house, baby(s), career, etc.) and I just wanted that stable boring life. I get it. I hate that feeling of limbo. The in-between sucks.

Jennifer June 3, 2012 at 11:52 pm

Happy birthday!
I just turned 30–I mean, 29 again and I must say that I was never a lover of those 30 by 30 lists either. Just a reminder of things that I wouldn’t be able to complete because mommy duties call.

MommaExpat June 4, 2012 at 8:04 am

Happy birthday girl, hope you are feeling better!

Melissa June 4, 2012 at 9:11 am

Happy late birthday! I have never been one to care what number I turn on the calendar. My meme always said “if you aren’t getting older, would you rather the alternative?” we celebrated her birthdays with cake and candles until her last one at 82. I hold that phrase dear to my heart. I’ll be 32 this year but still feel and act 16. :) oh and 30? Best year ever!

Izabela June 4, 2012 at 9:19 am

Don’t worry about 30, enjoy being 29! When next year comes around, you’ll either embrace it or understand why women remain “29″ forever. I turned 31 in May and it’s not all that bad, although I’m wishing I was 29 :) Happy birthday.

KeAnne June 4, 2012 at 10:09 am

I wondered where my cat went! Happy Birthday! The older I get, the simpler my wishes for the year become. I’m a bit freaked out about 35 this year.

SM June 4, 2012 at 10:54 am

Happy Birthday! I’m going to be 33 this year and I still feel like I’m 18 so I totally get it. The only time I have a real problem accepting that I’m “in my 30′s” is when I see the high school track boys jog by and think “aww….cute!” Then I remember that I’m NOT 18 and I’m now a dirty old woman! It’s terrifying.

That being said, I loved turning 30. 31 was harder.

Have a great year!

Amy June 4, 2012 at 11:05 am

Turning 30 was freakin’ awesome. Don’t sweat it. I hope it was a Happy Birthday!!!!

Betsy June 4, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Good goals. Turning 30 is fun. You gain a lot of self confidence as you age, it’s a wonderful thing. That need to please decreases as you trust your own opinions and move on. I felt an aging milestone with 30, though. :( Not sure if it was mental or if 30 is such a strong physical milestone. My metabolism definitely took a hit. Bummer. And my tolerance for hours in high heels and being able to cheat sleep with coffee definitely declined. But hey, Im self confident in now wearing comfortable shoes and going to bed early.

Erin B June 4, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Aww happy birthday lady! I just think you’re fantastic – hope you enjoyed! :)

angela June 5, 2012 at 12:22 am

Happy happy birthday to you! (and what a fabulous cake)

Jill June 5, 2012 at 10:12 am

Happy Birthday! That last year in your 20s is great! I have just 19 days left in my 20s. It’s sad but it’s the way life goes. I cannot believe that I’ve either been pregnant or nursing for my last two birthdays and now especially on my 30th being pregnant… oh well. We’ll celebrate like adults next year! :)

Emily @ Love{&}Bugs June 5, 2012 at 11:39 am

Happy belated birthday!

Johanna @ These Prices June 5, 2012 at 8:48 pm

You’re farther along in your life than I was at 29, but for me, 30 was one of the best years so far. It is nothing to fear! Hope you had a wonderful birthday. xxoo