Weird stuff moms carry.

by heirtoblair on May 7, 2012

Oh, the burdens we carry. Specifically in a diaper bag! Oh sure, there’s the usual diapers & extra blankets & onesies. Bottles are a must, as are baby wipes. But what about those weird things that nobody thinks about (except a seasoned momma)?

Right before I delivered Harrison, I found small bottles of hand sanitizer. PERFECT for the diaper bag because they were tiny & fit into the zipped portion of my bag that kept the diapers & wipes. After changes, I wouldn’t have to find a sink immediately, which came in handy for the car/park/stroller diaper changes that I never planned for. While I’m sure you can find generic travel hand sanitizer, I loved how mine had a sweet cotton smell to it. (I also had one that smelled like gardenia.) Nothing like feeling pretty after wiping up poop, right?

My other tiny must-have came in the form of a Tide to Go pen. Harrison suffered horrible reflux, & half the formula he drank always ended up on my clothing. When we moved on to solids & oatmeal, I felt like I always had some stain on my sleeve or pants. Since I was usually heading into the office with these stains, I started carrying a detergent pen on me to quickly care for any carrot spills or milk spit-up.

Also, I always carried a little board book on me. I have no idea why since (a) Harrison can’t read & (b) he always prefered little trucks over books. I guess since I always carry a book on me for me, I figured I should do the same for Harry?

Anyway. Enough with the awkward BA facts. Did you carry anything “weird” in your diaper bag? The things I listed above were functional & not necessarily odd, just things I would have never added to the bag until I’d had a few mishaps

Check out the Huggies Mommy Answers Facebook app!

Find more posts from bloggers sharing their experiences of motherhood on the Huggies page on BlogHer.com!

Brandi May 7, 2012 at 8:28 pm

I carry the scented poop bags…for when we did changes where they was no place to throw the diaper and it came in handy for other things.

angela May 7, 2012 at 8:42 pm

I love my little scented hand sanitizers! I like the method ones from Target :)

Erin May 7, 2012 at 8:50 pm

I second the “scented poop bags”! For whenever we had a stinky diaper change at a friend or family member’s house & I didn’t want to “bless” them with the stink! Also the disposable place mats- totally thought they were a waste of money but my child loves nothing more than to wipe & put her food all over public tables. This way she either gets to put her food on Elmo or Princesses…she loves them & since I’m a germaphobe I love them.

Samantha Vermeulen May 7, 2012 at 10:57 pm

Agree with the mini hand sanitizers & the diaper trash bags! Also carried the disposable paper changing pads because when you have a toddler, they are bigger than the changing pad that comes with the diaper bag, and when you are laying them on a fold-down changing table in a public restroom, part of them is going to hang over the changing pad you brought & onto the table that is probably never cleaned, so those pads are handy as an extension to your changing pad!

Jenny May 8, 2012 at 12:47 am

I still carry little sample-size bottles of disinfectant spray. I just used one tonight to wipe down the shopping cart at BJ’s before strapping the girls in. Odd, but it feels cleaner than just a baby wipe!

Hayley May 8, 2012 at 12:54 am

travel clorox wipes. Some of those things I didn’t even want to put my changing pad on without a wipe down first.

Dana May 8, 2012 at 2:03 am

I always carry the neosporin foam for cleaning ouchies. Also since my guy is a wiggler and does the alligator death roll when getting a diaper change, I just carry a receiving blanket for diaper changes. They are bigger but fold thin, are soft and at the end of the day just throw it in the laundry.

My diaper bag is just a tote bag that I then have individual bags in. Each one serves a purpose. I am sure it looks weird for anyone else that looks in and just sees smaller bags.

Shannon May 8, 2012 at 8:13 am

OMG “alligator death roll” I seriously just laughed out loud hysterically…I love it!!!!

Lena May 9, 2012 at 5:44 pm

Oh goodness my older son (2.5 yrs) does the limp noodle when I pick him up to change his poops. He aligator death rolled off the changing table once, thankgoodness daddy was there and caught him. He hasn’t done it again though

Erin May 8, 2012 at 7:47 am

I carry a giant ink pen…you know, because my 7 month old can write. I also carry the scented poop bags…but almost never use them! The mini-sanitizer is a lifesaver, though!

Johanna May 8, 2012 at 8:07 am

Q-tips. I use them to put on our diaper cream. I also like to have mesh teething bags. You can almost always get ice to put in those buggers, either for pain or entertainment!

Cara May 8, 2012 at 9:31 am

I keep a to go size baby sunscreen in the diaper bag year round since we live in TX. I also keep a small magnadoodle in my purse or diaper bag for emergency baby (one years old) entertainment.

Inara May 8, 2012 at 9:34 am

Extra socks for both him and I. All play areas require them and in the summertime, we’re both in sandals. I didn’t used to bring socks for me, but then Miles decided he didn’t want to come out of the play tunnels one day, and there I was, crawling through tunnels wet with who-knows-what in my bare feet. Ew.

Amy May 8, 2012 at 10:10 am

Found in my bag on our most recent zoo trip:

Hand Sanitizer
Anti Bacterial Wipes
Dixie Cups (too put the goat feed in at the children’s zoo)
A bag of quarters (to purchase said goat feed)
camera
extra undies and pants (since we’re doing the potty thing)
numerous fruit leathers
raisins
toddler sized fork

Oh…and I ALWAYS carry a toddler fork with me in my purse whenever we go out. People laugh when they see it, but my little gets so frustrated with the big forks at restaurants!

TarheelsInNj May 8, 2012 at 10:27 am

Now that we have a toddler, we have a little bag of “cars and choochoos” that we bring out at restaurants while we’re waiting for food or if he’s finished first. We also have crayons and little coloring books – which I’ve had good luck finding at thrift stores, of all places! Plus a gajillion snacks, for both him and Mom!

p.s. Having hand sanitizer by the changing table is important at home too, and is a tip I always give to new moms. You’re changing diapers all.the.time and don’t necessarily have your hands free to go to the bathroom to wash. The pump kind is especially great because you can use it one-handed.

Melissa May 8, 2012 at 10:41 am

I too have the bags, the tide pen, and the mini sanitizers. I kept a mini-medicine kit in my daughter’s (and need to transfer to my son’s). Antihistamine liquid and cream, Tylenol, ibuprofen, antibiotic ointment, etc. My daughter is allergic to ants and a lot of airborne things. Teething tablets and sunscreen are a must too. And actually I have a mini grooming kit as well. Brush, nail files, fingernail clippers. It was a gift and fits perfectly. And an umbrella! You would think his diaper bag was the size of a duffle…..

Steph May 8, 2012 at 10:56 am

Hair ties and lysol….you’d be amazed how many things you can use hair ties for!

olive May 8, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Nothing too weird I guess. I always had a stash of large ziplocs each filled with a diaper, a few wipes in a snack baggie (I have a thing for ziplocs. lol), small trash bag, extra onesie, Shout wipe. Those were the best thing I did probably….l so easy to throw in the stroller or in a bag. Hand sanitizer. I learned quickly to take a bottle and pre-measured formula. Never know when you’ll get stuck in city traffic or something unexpected comes up. Receiving blanket in case a store was cold, or it was needed for extra clean-up. That was for baby. Now we’re basically on to toddler basics…. water cup, diaper, wipes. sunscreen, extra set of clothes stashed in the car, secret stash of snacks, maybe a small toy or so. Books for car trips longer than about 30 minutes. Wow. This sounds like a lot, and I consider myself a minimalist! haha

Sarah Jean Baker May 8, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Bendable straws! I carry them in a travel toothbrush container! :) They come in handy at restaurants or during our Sonic stops to help prevent spills. I also keep a small container of play-dough for each of the boys. This keeps them busy (& quiet, if needed!) for quite awhile.

Bethany May 9, 2012 at 1:14 pm

When we go out for the day and I know we will be eating out I will bring a pair of scissors in a ziploc bag. It takes about half the time to cut up their food as opposed to a knife and fork. When I get home I just pop them in the dishwasher.

Lena May 9, 2012 at 5:42 pm

LOL you cut food up with your scissors and I would cut off onsies. Show’s how diverse scissors can be!

Lena May 9, 2012 at 5:41 pm

I carried a pair of scissors. Blow outs? Oh just cut that shit right off.

Worked out well, none of the clothes have stains and I never bought super expensive NB-infant clothes.