On my bookshelf.

by heirtoblair on May 3, 2012

It’s been awhile since I’ve done one of these & I’m all over the place with my tastes.  It’s really not uncommon for me to have four new books going at once in four different genres & then pull out an old faithful with a broken spine & dog-ear pages.  Doug always laughs that a) I always read the last chapter first because I hate surprises & b) he doesn’t know how I keep the stories straight.  Thank God I can keep them straight, otherwise we’d have Madeline L’Engle making spaghetti in a distopian farmyard where cows rule.

Sounds like a bad drug trip, right?

insurgent On my bookshelf.

I’ve been waiting almost a year for this bad boy to come out, the sequal to Divergent.  Basically, it’s another distopian society novel that is set in Chicago & everyone is divided into “factions” based on personality.  To me, Tris makes Katniss looks like a pipsqueak (well, book 2 & book 3 Katniss).  I’ve been sitting in the cafeteria/sunshine/office nomming on my lunch while reading it on my Kindle app for the past 3 days.

Confessions of a Scary Mommy Jill Smokler On my bookshelf.

Next up is the fabulous Scary Mommy, who wrote her first book.  I cannot wait to dig into this one as I have always admired Jill’s incredible way of making motherhood hilarious.  p.s. I am so stoked by all the bloggers coming out with books these days – Kelle Hamptom, The Bloggess, Nie Nie, Jill…

lightonsnow On my bookshelf.

My sister-in-law recommended this author to me at the beach in August 2011.  I ordered this book a few months ago & have yet to pick it up.  Has anyone else read her novels?

The Pioneer Woman Cooks On my bookshelf.

Of course the absolutely darling Ree Drummond & her second cookbook.  I’ve poured over the pages & we’ve already made the cauliflower, which was DELICIOUS.

walkingonwater On my bookshelf.

Last up is the peace for my soul, soaking in words of Madeline L’Engle.  She is fast becoming one of my favorites although I wasn’t wild about her books as a child.  While her poetry is like a balm, this book delves into Christians as creatives & artists.  I’m not too far into yet.

What are you reading these days?

Beth May 3, 2012 at 2:49 pm

On my Nook for our vacation starting TOMORROW is :
Fifty Shades of Gray
The new Sookie Stackhouse Novel
The hunger games (tried to start it over a year ago and really didnt dig it until I saw the movie)

Paperback I just finished 19 minutes and am currently reading Redemption and Choosing to See.

heirtoblair May 3, 2012 at 2:51 pm

VACATION!!! VACATION!!! I am so glad you are taking one.

Beth May 3, 2012 at 2:53 pm

me too! Keegan will have been gone 5 months on Sunday, I need to get the heck outta dodge!

heirtoblair May 3, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Good girl. You’ve had a hell of a year.

Liz May 3, 2012 at 3:34 pm

If you liked 19 Minutes, try The Pact. I’m not that into Jodi P, but those two were great!

Jennifer @ Also Known As the Wife May 3, 2012 at 3:13 pm

I read The Bloggess’s memoir and Mindy Kaling’s memoir last week. This week I’m getting into “On Writing” by Stephen King. I’m not a big fan of his fiction (although I may give it another try) but this book is fantastic…it’s like having a conversation with him.

Mandy May 3, 2012 at 3:19 pm

I have never read a Stephen King novel, but I love his “On Writing” book. I’ve been meaning to reread it actually. Thanks for the reminder!

Stephanie May 3, 2012 at 3:23 pm

I cannot read Stephen King’s novels either but I agree, On Writing was excellent. I’ve read it twice :)

heirtoblair May 3, 2012 at 3:27 pm

It’s official. I must read this book.

Mandy May 3, 2012 at 3:15 pm

I read The Last Time They Met by Anita Shreve and it blew me away, but I would beg, beg, beg you not to read the end first. It’s really all about the ending. Currently, I’m plowing through the Game of Thrones books. I love them. A lot.

Amy May 3, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Finishing 50 Shades of Grey. I HIGHLY doubt I’ll be reading the other two. I will then finish Mockingjay. (I know, I know, I suck.) I also have Scary Mommy. All are on the Nook.

KeAnne May 3, 2012 at 3:34 pm

I just finished Mockingjay last week; you aren’t alone!

KeAnne May 3, 2012 at 3:18 pm

I can totally buy Madeline L’Engle “making spaghetti in a distopian farmyard where cows rule.” There’s some crazy stuff going on in A Wrinkle In Time, A Swiftly Tilting Planet, etc.!

I’m almost finished with A Sacred Thread and am ready to start the oh-so-controversial The Conflict. I need a new fiction book to read. I’m headed to conferences in Orlando twice in May and am drooling about all the time to read. Maybe I’ll pick one from my stack from the book sale.

Nani May 3, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Loved insurgent And cannot wait for the next book. I am currently reading timepiece (hourglass 2) and have about 300 books to go, I keep adding stuff to my nook and now iPad. Btw do you have a goodreads account?

Jodi May 3, 2012 at 3:21 pm

@Amy I will be happy to tell you offline how the other 50′s go. They are so badly written… and it’s very repetative… :) But I did finish them.

Reading Insurgent too! and re-reading Nurtureshock. And the Magic Hour…

heirtoblair May 3, 2012 at 3:29 pm

::gasp::
They have sex.
Inner goddess.
::gasp::
She does something stupid.
Inner goddess.
::gasp::
He’s a control freak.
FUCKING INNER GODDESS AGAIN.
::gasp::

CIara May 3, 2012 at 11:11 pm

HA!!! Great summation. :) (still loved them though in spite of it!)

Morgan May 3, 2012 at 3:22 pm

I just finished “The Poisowood Bible” by Barbara Kingsolver… Amazing… might be one the best book I have ever read!

Melissa May 3, 2012 at 3:26 pm

I’m lucky to read one book at a time! Actually, I’ve been reading my Bible on my phone where I would normally read my book here lately. (This new Sunday School teacher gig changes a girls habits!) But I have the Lucky One on iBooks. I have such a hard time stopping myself to read. Sometimes I find it calming, other times it is distracting. Even if it is the same book. LOL Weird…I know. But I also have Undertow (The Julesburg Mysteries, Book Three) by Lorena McCourtney on my Kindle. She writes Christian Murder Mysteries. Kind of an oxymoron but I love her books.

Erin May 3, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Ha! My husband tells me I’m crazy all the time b/c I easily have 2-4 books I’m reading all at once! Right now I just started The Girl Who Played with Fire (I know…I’m so far behind the rest of the world!) & also Dancing in the Glory of Monsters: The Collapse of the Congo & the Great War of Africa by Jason Stearns. I just finished Tori Spelling’s 3rd book (uncharted terriTORI)…I can’t help it, I love her, Flowers for Algernon- I actually wasn’t required to read that in school & at the same time finished reading 11/22/63 (fabulous by the way!). I love having numerous books going at once…I have a kindle so I’m loving being able to carry them all around too…before I used to drag numerous books with me!

B Crosby May 3, 2012 at 3:33 pm

This weekend I read Bitter is the New Black by Jen Lancaster. It was just ok. I’m going to get one more of hers and see if it’s any better.
I also read “Loose Girl: A memoir of promiscuity” Quite sad.
I’ve been plowing through Atlas Shrugged for MONTHS. Its just now getting good but its a slow read.
Also reading a Sylvia Browne book about Prophecy.
On the shelf is:
50 shades.
Perks of a Wallflower
Kasher in the Rye

BA, if you haven’t read any of the Sweet Potato Queens books, PLEASE DO IT.
Especially the Big Ass Cookbook and Financial Planner. Probably my 2nd favorite of all time. It has delicious recipes for things like ‘pig candy’ and ‘chocolate stuff’. I want this woman to be my best friend. I strive to be a sweet potato queen when I grow up. PLUS. It’s written in ‘southern’. You know what that means. You belong to a special club if you can comprehend it.

Laurie May 3, 2012 at 3:44 pm

I have read almost all of Anita Shreve’s books, most are good, some are hit or miss. Light on Snow was a fav of mine. The Testimony by her was also very very good.

Meredith @ La Buena Vida May 3, 2012 at 3:44 pm

I like most of what Anita Shreve has written, but never have been able to get into Light on Snow.

I’ve just finished The First Husband by Laura Dave (liked a lot), and Pure by Julianna Baggott (another teen dystopian novel, but a good one). The best book I’ve read this year was HANDS DOWN John Green’s The Fault In Our Stars.

I don’t know what to read next, because I’m on the waitlist for everything I want to read at the library–Insurgent, 50 Shades of Grey, and 11/22/63. Unfortunately, the waitlists for everything at the library are super long, so who knows when I’ll get to read any of them.

Christina May 3, 2012 at 3:44 pm

I love that you’re such a reader. It’s actually inspired me to pick up some books again as I always make excuses the way people make excuses not to work out.
I’m really dying of boredom through “catching fire” and cocurently dying to death in “50 shades of gray” but I”m trying!

Erin May 3, 2012 at 3:48 pm

I’m reading “Living the Resurrection” by Eugene Peterson, and just finished the first Keira Hudson series by Tim O’Rourke (5 books & 1 novella – good if you like vampire thriller/romance). I also just finished “Heaven is for Real”. I have about 10 old faithful books floating around the house by Stephanie Laurens, Johanna Lindsey and Kathleen Woodiwiss.

SaraB May 3, 2012 at 3:58 pm

It only took me 2 days to get through Insurgent and while I was superpissed as hell at Tris by chapter 30, I ended up loving it! I really want to go back and read them both in order, and quick succession, because I felt like I forgot a lot about Divergent while waiting for book #2. Thanks for the other recommendations!

Wynnsmomma May 3, 2012 at 4:16 pm

I love to read too and always enjoy your recommendations. I have to give you all the credit for me reading Hunger Games and Divergent – cant wait for Insurgent! Two good ones I just read are Night Circus and Snow Child . Also 11/22/63 was excellent and I think even non Stephen King fans would enjoy it. I will definitely have to pick up On Writing next. Also maybe give L’Engle another try, I didn’t enjoy her as a child either, but maybe it’s time to try again! Oh and my daily devotional is from Jesus Calling – fabulous way to start the day!

Kerri A. May 3, 2012 at 4:17 pm

I just recently picked up the Harry Potter series. I KNOW!! I’m the last person on the planet to read it! For some reason, they intimidated me. I’m on book 3 now & I have to say I am thoroughly addicted. I’m reading a book then re-watching the movie version to compare the two. Is that too nerdish?

Lee I May 3, 2012 at 8:14 pm

I bought the boxed set about a year ago, haven’t started yet. I’d been hoping for Kindle so I wouldn’t have to heft the weight. Maybe I could get a trade-in? At least you’re not last!

CIara May 3, 2012 at 11:13 pm

Definately not the last. I’ve been thinking about finally reading them myself. I tend to get lost in books and everything around me goes to pot. Scared to get into them for that reason. :)

Wynnsmomma May 3, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Oooooh -Miss Peregrines Home for Peculiar Children and Mindy Kaling’s book were both good reads too!

TarheelsInNj May 3, 2012 at 4:35 pm

I finally read The Hunger Games yesterday. (Like, literally read the whole thing yesterday). I really enjoyed it, as expected, though I have no desire to see the movie.

My book club just read Great House, by Nicole Krauss – think you might like that one based on some of the others you’ve described. At the library book sale this weekend I picked up Bel Canto and House of Sand & Fog, which I’m really excited to read!

My very favorite book of all time, which I read almost every year, is Fried Green Tomatoes. If you haven’t read it, you must must must. 500x better than the movie.

Erinasmommy May 3, 2012 at 4:49 pm

I recently devoured Kelle Hampton’s book as well as Think by Lisa Bloom. I think I want to re-read Gretchen Rubin’s The Happiness Project, as that should be read every year. I want to read The Conflict that NYT was all over a few weeks back, as well as the Bloggess’s book, The Happiest Mom’s books and Lisa Bloom’s new book Swagger. Another book I’m reading slowly is Positive Discipline by Jane Nelsen. I wish I could read more. I have to stay away from bookstores because they make me salavate.

Erin May 3, 2012 at 5:19 pm

I’m dying to read Insurgent but feeling annoyed that the ebook costs as much as the hardcover. I have read Anita Shreve a few times… I think her books are enjoyable but maybe a bit forgettable.

I just started Water for Elephants but having a hard time getting into it… my second baby is only 4 weeks old so I think I just need something lighter that I can read in smaller chunks right now. I should probably pony up for Insurgent.

Ashley May 3, 2012 at 5:27 pm

We are book dopplegangers! I totally do the same thing, I read 4 books at a time and read the end kind of in the middle. I’m in a YA kick, I guess b/c I teach middle school and that’s what my kids are reading. I’m reading Trapped, Dead End in Norvelt and Divergent to them (yes aloud, I love it and they do to). Then I’m reading Insurgent, 50 shades Freed, the most recent Sookie Stackhouse that just came out, and Accidents of Providence, and Dark World. I have a problem, lol.

Emily @ Love{&}Bugs May 3, 2012 at 5:41 pm

I’m planning to read Divergent series soon. Well, maybe not soon soon.
I may check out the scary mommy one too. Thanks for the suggestions :-)

Mandi May 3, 2012 at 6:58 pm

Not gonna lie…. after reading your review about 50 Shades of Grey, I had to go buy them. Not just the first one, but all 3.. So I’ll be having a date with Christian Grey yet the next few days.

Courtney May 3, 2012 at 7:33 pm

I loved all of Anita Shreve’s books. Light on Snow was a good one, although it didn’t have the romantic storyline that a lot of her other novels do.

I think I saw on Instagram that you have Room on your Kindle. What did you think of that? It was a tough read, but I loved it. Devoured it in a few days. I also recently read Michael Ian Black’s new book, You’re Doing it Wrong, on my Kindle. I loved it and I think my husband would love it even more. Totally spoke to me at this stage of my life.

Next up on my list is This Is Where I Leave You by Jonathon Tropper and State of Wonder by Ann Patchett (loved her other books!).

harmskills May 3, 2012 at 8:33 pm

i just read the Descendants (if you havent seen the movie) and am currently reading Molokai, my book club is on a hawaii theme!

Nicole May 3, 2012 at 8:48 pm

I just finished the Hunger Games series last week and am currently reading The Bloggess’s memoir.

I want to tackle Stephen King’s 11/22/63 soon, but it’s incredibly long. And I totally agree with reading “On Writing”, it’s such a great read.

Jess M. May 3, 2012 at 9:06 pm

Oooo- good timing because I need a new book to read…totally going to read Divergent. now..sounds a little like a couple books I had recommended to me by crazy feminist friend of a friend…author Sheri Tepper- The Gate to Women’s Country and Grass. I liked Grass better and I can’t say I’d normally be into ‘sci-fi’.

ML@My3LittleBirds May 3, 2012 at 10:33 pm

What a great list! I have finally gotten back into the habit of reading daily…I swear it has taken 3 years since my 3rd child was born for me to have a little more “me” time.
I’m currently reading Grace for the Good Girl by Emily Freeman, A Million Miles in a Thousand Years by Donald Miller, and Grace Eventually by Anne Lamott. See a theme? Yeah, me too : )

Lindsay May 3, 2012 at 11:19 pm

I keep hearing about Divergent and Insurgent may be next on my list. For right now though I just finished Kelle Hamptons Bloom and now I’m reading the second book in the Hunger Games trilogy. I loved the first book so I got the second and third to read too. Next is Fifty Shades of Gray and then a new author I’ve never read is “Lunch in Paris a Love Story with Recipes” by Elizabeth Bard. It looks really cute, one of my girlfriends gave it to me to read and said I would love it. Have fun with your reads!

Tiffany @MomNom May 4, 2012 at 7:44 am

Read, ON THE ISLAND. So good.

Stephanie May 4, 2012 at 9:11 am

Meant to do this last night after work but then I passed out instead :P

Just finished up The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo trilogy, I know, WAY behind, but I enjoyed it more than I expected. If you haven’t read the Happiness Project you really should, it is very thought provoking. Water for Elephants, Bossypants by Tina Fey, The Midwife’s Confession by Diane Chamberlain, Sarah’s Key by Tatiana de Rosnay are all fabulous reads. One I haven’t read yet that is being recommended to me is The Night Circus.

I haven’t read a lot of books lately because our library has been closed for extensive renos since November and does not reopen until June!! I have to admit that I am going through a little withdrawal :P Thank goodness there are e books you can borrow from their online library but the selection is more limited.

Stacey May 4, 2012 at 9:27 am

I read Rescue by Anita Shreve and it was very good — I remember trying to start another one by her and found it ‘eh’ so I returned it early. It must have really stunk as I can’t even pick it out when I look online.

I’m infamous for taking photos on my phone of books I want to read when I stumble through Target or a book store so I can check them out at the library. I’m cheap, but LOVE me a good book!

Andrea May 4, 2012 at 12:04 pm

I love Anita Shreve. you will really like Light on Snow. I read it last year for a book club and was completely drawn into it.

I am currently reading The Summer Garden, the third book in The Bronze Horseman series, which you MUST read.

and I just finished 50 Shades of Gray and am about to start a book called The Lifeboat. and in the car i’m listening to a Sophia Kinsella book….not sure I spelled her last name correctly?

I am obv. all over the place with my reading as wel.

Tory May 4, 2012 at 1:14 pm

I just finished INSURGENT yesterday, and I loved it so much I’m thinking about reading it again!

Julia May 4, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Antia Shreve is good. The Pilot’s Wife was excellent (and a little close to home for me as I am a pilot’s wife!). A lot of her other books are set in historical times and I found them to be very similar to each other- I would get confused with characters because the books were so alike.

Stacey May 4, 2012 at 3:22 pm

I forgot about The Pilot’s Wife — yes, that was a great read.

Becky @ From Ministry to Motherhood May 4, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Aside from my crazy trip through the Bible I’m currently reading “Next Generation Leader” by Andy Stanley but I totally want to read Divergence and it’s sequel! I’ve been missing the Hunger Games lately and need something a little less work related to dive into. :)

olive May 4, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Seriously thanks for this. I’m a reader with limited browsing time, so it’s awesome to have some suggestions besides the “best” lists on amazon for kindle. :)
Totally with you on reading more than one book at once. Currently reading Hemingway’s Boat, Unwasted, Brain Rules for Baby, and Kitchen Confidential.

Cathy May 5, 2012 at 6:46 am

Reading books is one my fave hobby and now I’m reading the Light On Snow by Anita Shreve, and I loving it now. :) Also, I’m reading some Cord Blood Banking reviews because I’m intrigued what is this all about.

Rachel May 5, 2012 at 5:56 pm

I already have 4 books on my Nook I’m reading at the same time so I really shouldn’t add any more….but now I just might have to.

Amber May 6, 2012 at 11:58 pm

Anita Shreve is good. She’s got easy reads, usually with some sort of twist that takes even an avid reader by surprise occastionally. My favorite by her is “The Last Time They Met.”

mae May 8, 2012 at 8:30 am

I know I’m late to the party but I LOVE Anita Shreve. Haven’t read one of hers I didn’t like and that didn’t stick with me.

Lindsay May 10, 2012 at 2:19 pm

I have read most of Anita Shreve’s books and love most of them. What’s fun is several of the books have a common thing in them that links them together even though they are set in various time periods. I won’t tell you what it is in case you want to read all of them. But it’s almost like a little secret you are discovering as you read. I recommend The Pilot’s Wife and Fortune’s Rocks. Also The Last Time They Met, but I agree, please don’t read the end first!