This is the one that should have been called “straps & snaps, oh my!”

by heirtoblair on April 19, 2012

Hey, folks! This time we’re chatting about the physical aspects of a diaper bag — what you’ll need, want, etc. in the construction of the bag. I’m sharing two of my main must-haves when looking for the perfect diaper bag (multiple straps & a bottle holder!). What do you look for in a diaper bag design when you’re selecting it. Zippers? Number of pouches?

Don’t forget to check out the Huggies Mommy Answers Facebook app and then visit the Huggies page on BlogHer.com to read about other bloggers’ who share their own experiences of motherhood.

Erin April 19, 2012 at 8:29 am

I want my diaper bag to be HUGE (as in bigger than a normal diaper bag) – since I have to provide stuff for two munchkins. I also have to have the bottle holders and small pockets for things like sanitizer, baby powder, butt paste, etc…

Amber April 19, 2012 at 9:38 am

I loved the stroller straps on my SkipHop bag! Two clips and I could bring that bag anywhere that I needed a stroller! And there were 3 different spots to keep a bottle, so I had that covered. :) I also liked the magnetic closings on the flaps and pockets. Some people aren’t fans, but I loved that I didn’t have to zip/snap/wrestle my bag closed.

Wendi Kilbride April 19, 2012 at 9:43 am

easy to wipe out….something; milk, juice, whatever WILL spill and if you can’t wash it or clean it out easily it will be the funkiest, smelling cool looking diaper bag around!

Kelli G April 19, 2012 at 9:49 am

Bottle places are key! A designated spot for a formula container is nice too. And I need space. With 2 infants and a not-quite potty trained 2.5 yr old, I require a pretty big bag, especially if I’m hauling my cloth diapers around.

Melissa April 19, 2012 at 9:52 am

I just bought myself a new diaper bag and it’s ginormous. I just had my second kiddo so I needed a bag that would hold all the newborn gear plus stuff for my almost 3 year old. (Plus all of my paranoid mommy essentials–first aid kit, 2 different kinds of anti-bac wips, anti-bac gel, etc.) My new Skip Hop bag has a million pockets so I can stay organized and they are both on the outside and inside. There are also 2 bottle holders so I can put a sippy cup on one side and a bottle on the other. Love it!

Jessica April 19, 2012 at 9:52 am

Once again, what did you say? I was too busy admiring the cutie pie in the back ground.

Love him!

Samantha Vermeulen April 19, 2012 at 10:21 am

Since they are only a month apart, about the same size, and both have shaggy blonde hair & blue eyes, whenever Bray sees Harrisom on your blog, he waves and says, “Hi, Brayden!!!” LOL.

Samantha Vermeulen April 19, 2012 at 10:27 am

I have a JJ Cole Mode Tote and it has 3 strap features as well – 2 straps for a tote, 1 long strap for a messenger, and 2 stroller straps to attach to stroller. I carry as a tote and DH carries as a messenger, so it’s great to have options. But my fave thing is all of the pockets! Different sizes & shapes so you can figure out exactly what you want to put where so it works best for you! And one bottle pocket on the outside, but they sell separate bottle pods that are insulated, so I always used that to keep it cold.

Hannah April 19, 2012 at 10:47 am

I always managed to loose my wallet or keys if I didn’t have a separate, dedicated spot for them. I hate carrying a purse AND diaper bag! I’ve started perusing the options out there since I will be back in the land of infant crap hauling in three months and I can’t decide…ginormous carry all purse? Or functional, shlumpy diaper bag? Either way, I will manage to forget something essential at home :)

Lauren April 19, 2012 at 10:57 am

Does anyone have any suggestions for a backpack diaper bag? I am expecting in July and have a 3 year old as well, so would love to hear anyone’s thoughts!!

kristin April 19, 2012 at 11:03 am

Outer pockets! The one I have now doesn’t have any and its such a pain in the ass.

Jenna April 19, 2012 at 7:09 pm

I never understood velcro on a diaper bag. Not sleeping baby friendly. Outer pockets were a must have for this very unorganized mom!!!

Sara April 19, 2012 at 10:36 pm

Ditto. I hate the velcro. magnetic snaps are MUCH nicer. Pockets, Pockets Pockets. Inside and out!