Straps & snaps, oh my!

by heirtoblair on April 12, 2012

Oh, diaper bags. They range from darling to cliche, from Goodwill to luxury brands. They’re a statement of motherhood, designed to hold dirty diapers & snacks & toys all at the same time. They bust at the seams, then make a gradual retirement to the back of the closet as the child grows, but they’re oddly beloved to me.

Check out the Huggies Mommy Answers Facebook app!

Find more posts from bloggers sharing their experiences of motherhood on the Huggies page on BlogHer.com.

Diana April 12, 2012 at 3:32 pm

I still keep one in the car for just in case with an extra change of clothes and a couple diapers (we’re halfway potty trained). But I’ll always be haunted by when I FORGOT THE DIAPER BAG on our first pediatrician visit on day what? 2? Of course he pooped. And then had to sit in it. NEW MOM FAIL.

Kerri A. April 12, 2012 at 3:36 pm

We used to pack half the house, too. Diapers, wipes, 2 bottles, formula, a bottle of water to mix the formula, teethers, binkies, burp rags, etc. Now, THANK YOU SWEET BABY JESUS, I can throw a Pull-up in my purse & go! We only pack a drink or snacks if we’re going on a trip because Chloe’s pretty content to just ride.

Abbey April 12, 2012 at 3:38 pm

I’m a grab some wipes a diaper and a snack and shove them in my Coach purse and go kinda gal. The diaper bag was tossed a while ago, although I can’t remember exactly when. LOVE that Harrison picked his nose in the middle of your video. Totally something my son (same age) would do to me too. :)

Amanda April 12, 2012 at 3:41 pm

My girl is also 2 1/2, and I just carry my purse with a diaper in there. I don’t think I’ve carried a diaper bag for a year now, thank goodness; it’s so much easier now. I’m sure I’ll have to start carrying much more (clothes) once we commence with the potty training. This age is awesome, though.

Carrie April 12, 2012 at 3:52 pm

BA- YOUR KID KILLS ME. I know that yesterday was hard for you, and I don’t mean to be insensitive by bringing up his words. but I literally laughed out loud to hear his little voice exclaim something was gross. Hearing little kids say something after being used to just baby noises gets me every time! SO CUTE!

heirtoblair April 12, 2012 at 3:57 pm

NO worries! Isn’t the “it’s gross!” seriously the funniest thing ever? It cracks us up & I guess I say things are “gross” a lot because I have NO idea how else he picked it up!

Shannon April 13, 2012 at 9:40 pm

The way I heard it, it sounded like clothes (you had said clothes in your list of things in the bag) but that might just be me hearing things!

Nikki April 12, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Henry seems to be the only 2 year old in his Sunday school class that still has a diaper bag. All the other kiddos have mini backpacks or nothing at all…I just can’t seem to get rid of his. It’s so convenient and I use it for a purse more often than not, so I can’t really justify a little backpack making it for us.

jess liv April 12, 2012 at 3:53 pm

i’ve got no input on the diaper bag sitch, however, i thought it was funny that harry called you mommy — especially after the post the other day! maybe let him listen to a track of you saying “MOMMA!” while he sleeps?

heirtoblair April 12, 2012 at 3:56 pm

bwhahahahahah MOMMA THROUGH THE SUBCONSCIOUS!

Jessica April 12, 2012 at 3:57 pm

I’m sorry but I have absolutely no idea what you were talking about in your video. I was too busy watching the cutest little boy on the planet. Harrison is freaking adorable. I love that kid!

Kristen April 12, 2012 at 4:56 pm

Ditto this. So much cute. Harrison’s voice is ADORBS.

Elyza April 22, 2014 at 6:35 pm

I see, I susoppe that would have to be the case.

Dana April 12, 2012 at 4:04 pm

My son is 17 months old. I still pack a diaper bag though I don’t pack as much as I used to. He would be fine if I just packed snacks and his water cup, but I know that the one time I don’t take everything is when I am going to need it

Amber April 12, 2012 at 4:26 pm

Funny that this blog post came up when it did! I just started to retire the diaper bag and I switched to packing a container full of toddler things in the back of my car. My kiddos aren’t “babies” any longer (Katie is 28 months and Ben is 14 months), so we don’t have to pack the bottles/formula/the kitchen sink. And that tub basically has everything we need for a whole day. Diapers, pull-ups, wipes, snacks, first aid kit, blanket, coloring books, crayons, small toys, etc.

I busted a gut after H said “gross”! Ahhh toddlerhood. :)

alicia April 12, 2012 at 4:27 pm

Love seeing that little cutie! And love how when he said “mommy” you said “that’s momma”. I can sooo relate to that and your post the other day. A few weeks ago, at 18 months,Little Man started calling me Mommy and my heart’s aching a little. It sounds so grown up and it makes me so emotional (I am also 27 weeks pregnant so there is not much that I am not emotional over) that he won’t say Momma anymore. I keep trying to correct him, but to no avail:-( Funny, it didn’t bother me when he made the transition to Daddy a couple of months ago. That is adorable to me.
Wondering if any of your readers can recommend a good diaper bag for 2 babies under 2? I tend to carry a lot of stuff..

heirtoblair April 12, 2012 at 4:39 pm

I was wondering if anyone noticed my correction of him ;) bwhahaha.

I think I could probably still use my Petunia Picklebottom Boxy Packpack with an infant & toddler. I know my friend Jenny uses the Multiples Boxy Backpack with her triplets so I’m sure that would have PLENTY of space although it is huge!

aliciaf April 12, 2012 at 10:56 pm

I have the Petunia Picklebottom Boxy Backpack and it not usually big enough for all his stuff, much less his and his baby sister’s. I didn’t know they made one for multiples..will definitely check it out, thanks!

Candice April 12, 2012 at 4:57 pm

I caught the Mommy/Mama thing, too, and had to chuckle. My son says Mommy now, too, but I like it. He’s my little man. :)

Celine April 12, 2012 at 5:27 pm

I have 2 kiddos almost exactly 2 years apart so while my son is 3 at the end of June we are not potty trained yet (waiting for this Summer) plus he has his 9 month old sister coupled with the fact that we cloth diaper – my diaper bag is still well in use! It *was* easier before she was on solids cos no its a case of 2 times extra snacks, diapers, washable wipes (oh yeah Im real crunchy), wet bag, sippy cups etc….

Kate April 12, 2012 at 4:39 pm

Off topic but how/when did you know y’all needed help with language? I have a 19-almost 20 month old and I feel like he has plenty of words and gets a new one every week or so but he’s not really using little phrases yet and I don’t know what the range of normal is or if/when to get concerned. His ped seemed to think everything was great at his 18mo ck up but it’s not like he even really said words during the appointment. Like, I see this and Harrison sounds great to me with several words in less than a minute. I don’t have hardly any experience with kids other than my own, so seeing this I’d have no idea there was an issue with his language had you not spoken of it in other posts.

heirtoblair April 12, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Hey, Kate!

I will say that Harrison in the video is Harrison after six months of HARD work on his part. We do tons of verbal exercises throughout the day!

My first REAL red flag was when he stopped immitating us. We’d say “Bus!” or “Apple!” or “Ball!” & he’d stare blankly at us, not even attempting to form the word. I wasn’t concerned with the small amount of words he said or his pronunciation, but rather his lack at attempt. & since he wasn’t attempting, his vocabulary wasn’t growing. I waited for a “speech explosion” or any sign that he would start progressing again, but none came. So in September I took him to his pediatrician, who agreed it was worth exploring since Harrison had NO other delays & was perfectly fine socially. We had him evaluated privately & also through the county program & they both agreed that he was severely delayed.

I hope that helps!

brooke April 12, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Harry is SOOO cute its not even funny!

Candice April 12, 2012 at 4:56 pm

OMG I just want to eat him up! He is so stinkin’ cute! My son, Nate, will be two next month and he and Harrison seem similar. Gosh, what a cutie pie!

And, yeah, my experience is the same. When Nate was a baby I packed half the nursery in the diaper bag – bottles, formula, bottled water (you know, in case the car broke down), half a dozen diapers, wipes, backup wipes, several outfit changes, burp clothes, two blankets, a lovey (which he never liked but in case THAT ONE DAY WOULD BE THE DAY lol), some toys… this poor bag was busting at the seams.

Now? A sippy cup, a plastic baggie of some animal crackers, a couple of other back-up snacks, and I cram two diapers and the travel wipes case (I fear the random diaper blowout). But it takes me 30 seconds whereas I used to pack the diaper bag the night before just for a trip to the store I knew we’d be taking. I think part of it is he needs less and I’m more calm.

Kathleen April 12, 2012 at 5:07 pm

OMG. That grin? Mini-Doug. ::dead::

Emily @ The Pilot's Wife April 12, 2012 at 5:37 pm

So fun! I thought he said “clothes” instead of gross, because you had just said you packed changes of clothes. :)

And I was the same way with bags, and now at 3.5, he’s lucky if I take a drink along for him. Bad mama.

DeAnna April 12, 2012 at 5:54 pm

Me too! I even listened again lol. He is so sweet!

C April 12, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Yeah I definitely think he was saying ‘clothes’, not gross.. you just said clothes, then he was saying it. I’m sort of surprised you couldn’t tell?

heirtoblair April 13, 2012 at 4:42 pm

He said “gross.” Trust me :)

heirtoblair April 13, 2012 at 4:41 pm

ha! No, he totally said “gross.” He says things are “gross” all the time & it sounds EXACTLY like that. He was pointing at something on the computer saying “it’s gross!”

Natalie April 12, 2012 at 7:56 pm

I heard clothes too. I love him playing with his hair.

Maija @ Maija's Mommy Moments April 13, 2012 at 8:38 am

Seeing Harry just gave me baby fever… while my youngest and Harry are about the same age my son is almost 5 and Harry reminds me so much of him. Especially the HAIR! I’m swooning over your baby right now.

Anyway… ditto on the diaper bag. 1st baby’s was packed to the brim. 2nd baby’s had a monogrammed custom ordered bag filled with lots of good stuff. Third baby never had a diaper bag – I tossed dipaers, wipes and an extra pair of clothes into my purse.

My purse still carries most of the necessities – 1 diaper, 1 granola bar, 1 “binky” which makes for interesting conversation when i’m digging through it at work looking for lipstick!

Kelly April 13, 2012 at 11:20 am

I don’t have any children yet, so I can’t relate to the diaper bag. BUT….the BEST part of this video….’Don’t pick your nose, honey’. Classic. I think every mom has said that line about a thousand times.

keith April 13, 2012 at 2:00 pm

he said clothes.

heirtoblair April 13, 2012 at 4:44 pm

I beg to differ & since I’m the one around the kid the most & hear him say “it’s gross!” on a regular basis, then I get to call the shots ;)

Sara April 13, 2012 at 6:55 pm

I had to listen again too. But coming from a family where my brother had speech problems, I was Hara, my sister was Ham, Soup was Houp, Shoes were Hews, etc. Toddler speak is SOOOOO cute!

Kacia April 13, 2012 at 3:11 pm

a few things.
1. you’re freaking adorable. + I’d like you to do a tutorial on how to talk like you’re from the south, because I want to.
2. I have some major hair envy…Harry’s hair is awesome.
3. I’ve set up a bank account, so i can start saving for Harlow’s dowry. Or however that works. Prettyplease I would like Harrison as a son in law.

oh right. + diaper bags! Sorry, I was just to into all the beautifulness + cuteness happening everywheressss.

xoxo

Erin April 16, 2012 at 1:36 pm

I’ve always carried one, but as Wesley got older, I stopped carrying as many diapers and changes of clothes (I originally had like 3, and now only one set). I carry more toys and snacks for him now, but since I have another baby now (7 months), that thing is jam-packed with stuff for the little one – burp cloths, bibs (he’s teething like a monster!), an extra outfit (notice I’ve downsized from 3 to 1), formula, a bottle, etc…. I almost need a suitcase LOL.

Also, can I just say how stinkin’ cute Harry is?!?