Daily walks.

by heirtoblair on March 7, 2012

The hardest part about a “life change” is finding a new routine.

Figuring out what works, what doesn’t, re-setting priorities & deciding new goals.  Maybe it’s just me, but changes tend to dump me on my head & I spend about 3-4 weeks spinning in circles freaking the hell out, but then I buckle down & settle in.

The first few weeks home, I kept Harrison with me alone & worked while he played in the backyard or napped.  Then my sister moved in with us during weekdays to help with childcare but I found myself working on our bed in the master bedroom, alone & isolated for 5-9 hours per day.  Just me & my laptop & some movie as background noise.  I emerged for lunch but had this nagging feeling that I was getting lazier & fatter & more depressed by the moment.  I was rocking second & third-day hair on the regular & staying in my pajamas until 3pm.  (also? girl scout cookie season. no further explanation necessary.)

walk Daily walks.

This week, I decided to start our days with a walk – the kind where Harrison is bundled in the stroller & his momma burns calories.  I thought he’d hate it & fight the stroller because he’s such an independent guy, but I think he likes being able to just chill out.  It’s just thirty minutes but I feel so much better & focused for it.  I worked better, more efficiently, even planned dinner & put on lipstick.  (well, Revlon lip butter.  Seriously, check that stuff out because it’s magic.)

Last night, I went out with my girlfriends for our monthly Girls Night Out & when asked how I was, I said “Happy.  Really, really happy.  The kind where everything that comes out of my mouth is rainbows! & sparkles! & unicorns!”  I’m even annoying the shit out of myself with it, but I can’t help it.  I don’t know whether it’s the sunshine or the exercise endorphins or the seeing my kid every day or the Zoloft, but this feeling rocks all around.

Jessica March 7, 2012 at 10:44 am

I face change much like you do. I have a few weeks of WTF’ness and then I go with what works.

I’m so glad you’re finding your groove. Rock it, Girlfriend!

and revlon lip butter? why have I not heard of this?

Becky March 7, 2012 at 10:52 am

Ahhh!! So great to hear!!

Arnebya @ whatnowandwhy March 7, 2012 at 10:59 am

I am so very happy for and proud of you, BA. Let all the things take credit together (though the sun is my BIGGEST happy inducer) and just keep on keepin’ on.

Now on to more important things: will the lip butter make my lips TOO soft? I have a peeling problem and everything tends to make the chappedness disappear but then the skin gets so soft that it peels off. Weirdness, thy name is me.

Kristen March 7, 2012 at 11:03 am

So glad you’re getting walks in and feeling sparkly unicorn happy!!! Also, and this is going to sound creepy but I hope you get what I mean, in that pic it totally just looks like The Momma and Doug had a toddler and that toddler was Harrison. Ha!

heirtoblair March 7, 2012 at 11:07 am

hahaha, not creepy! We’ve always said that Harrison looks far more like The Momma than me. He’s what she thought her babies would look like, but instead, we all look like my father!

Kristen March 7, 2012 at 11:23 am

I love that. It’s so cool to see older generations in your kids’ faces. Makes you feel even more unicorn sparkles. :)

Tracy @ Liberating Working Moms March 7, 2012 at 11:22 am

And you’ve just inspired me for how I will spend my mornings on my Spring Break in a few weeks. Sounds glorious.

Dana March 7, 2012 at 11:46 am

Thank you for the smile this morning! I love how infectious “happiness” is!!

Totally random question but Is Harrison’s stroller a Bumbleride? Have you had it since he was a super little guy…and would you do it again? The Husband and I are looking into their double version for our new little one (ETA Sep 2012) and our 2 year old. Not sure how I could handle a little one NOT in a carrier thingy? Looking for another mama’s advice. :)

Hugs!

heirtoblair March 7, 2012 at 2:30 pm

We LOVE our Bumbleride. We have the Indie & the Flite. The Indie is perfect for walks & light off-road type stuff, or a quick jog. It’s not a running stroller if you’re a hard-core 3-mile type gal, but it’s great for family stuff. It’s also smaller than a BOB, so easier to maneuver crowds & stores.

I especially love that I can flip the handle up so that I’m not hunched over since I’m 5’11″. It’s very comfortable for me to push as a tall person.

We would definitely go with an Indie again!

Dana March 7, 2012 at 3:48 pm

Looks like I need to find a place to test drive one of these bad boys! Many thanks for the tips – sounds like it could be an amazing fit for my fam – especially the handle for us tall folk. ;)

THANKS!!!

Christina March 7, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Take it from me, a work at home mom/business owner that’s been doing this gig for 5 years now. It’s the best worst thing ever. Best is that you’re home, your kid is an earshot away, your work is getting done but dinner is getting cooked and you can clog your own toilet.
Worst: your home. Your kid is an earshot away. Your work is getting done BUT dinner still needs to get cooked and your toilet is clogged and you really SHOULD wash the sheets but if you could finish one more spread sheet, then start cooking the sauce for the lasagna and then throw in the sheets, and THEN return the emails, but don’t forget to stop and say hi to the lil guy that sees you tiptoeing behind the couch…
It’s a juggling act and I don’t think ANY OF US get enough credit for how we’ve become master freaking jugglers.

Rock on dude. Once you find your stride, there’s no stopping what you can do.

mary d March 7, 2012 at 1:06 pm

oh this makes me so happy – and makes me think that i need to start walking the furbabies first think in the morning.

Sarah @ Tired Mommy Tales March 7, 2012 at 1:57 pm

I’m happy to hear/see/read(?) that you’re finding a groove that works for you! You both look super happy in that picture!

AL March 7, 2012 at 2:27 pm

Hi BA,

Please watch the following video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4MnpzG5Sqc and if you have it in your heart, write something about it.

AL

TarheelsInNj March 7, 2012 at 2:36 pm

I have started running a couple of mornings a week. This can truly be described as a miracle, because I do NOT run and I am NOT a morning person. However, I realized that if I can just get up and do it at 7am, instead of hitting the snooze button for the extra half hour – it’s magic. I get exercise out of the way so I don’t feel guilty all night that I should go to the gym. I can just get home from work and decompress and enjoy my guys. I used to think I could never, ever do this… but I’m doing it, and it’s working!

Sara March 7, 2012 at 2:45 pm

It does my heart good to see you so happy. Can you throw some sparkles and unicorns my way?

Brandy March 7, 2012 at 3:38 pm

WE NEED TO MOVE NOW! I just wrote about our walks last week. Love it. Whole family comes. Tuck and Jack could pal around. It is a great reset or start to a day. Glad you are enjoying it. And you did spew sunshine…and it was awesome to see :)

kk @ the mom diggity March 7, 2012 at 4:09 pm

So glad you are finding a routine! That’s so incredibly hard for me as a stay at home mom. I get these big plans in my head of how I’m going to take the kids for walks and do art projects and blah blah blah….but staying in my pjs and staring at the wall wins most days while my toddler runs circles around me. ;) Yay for rainbows, sparkles and unicorns!!!!!

Laura March 7, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Looks like a great way to start the day!

grace March 7, 2012 at 4:20 pm

yay! Genuinely happy for your new normal. And the happy. LOVE happy.

michele March 7, 2012 at 5:41 pm

everything you are saying here?! AWESOMESAUCE.

Maija @ Maija's Mommy Moments March 7, 2012 at 5:58 pm

You look so VERY happy and I am so happy you’re happy and that’s a lot of freaking happy. Want to know what would make me happy??? If our weather warmed up enough so I could actually get out of the house and go on walks!

angela March 7, 2012 at 7:38 pm

I’m so happy you’re finding a routine!

And I want to try Revlon lip butter. But I am sooooo weird about wanting to try lip colors on before buying them. Even though it’s not like it costs 4 trillion dollars.

Bernice @ The Stressed Mom March 7, 2012 at 10:34 pm

Blair,
I have just started walking/jogging again. We actually started a private FB group called the Fluffy Chick Challenge! We are just encouraging one another to stay somewhat on track, and we vent and complain to each other as well. If you’d like an invite, or any of your readers, send me an email!

Aleta March 9, 2012 at 2:08 pm

OK huge comment, I apologize.
I can only imagine what a huge difference having those 3 commute hours back every day is making in your life/sanity! I love the days when I don’t have to do the long commute!
Also, I’m thrilled that you are rocking the WAHM thing, but also being realistic that you have to have childcare to work, whether in the home or not. Makes me nuts when some people think they can get in 8 hours of work and properly care for little ones… I know when I”m home with a sick kid and trying to call in to conference calls etc.. it’s a total disaster! I’m glad you have such a great solution.

Lastly, I totally get the frumpy feeling – I can’t let go of my college T shirts but need to. Being pregnant and wearing cute maternity clothes more often has made me rethink my casual wardrobe – can you set aside $40 ish and head to Kohls or something to get some comfy tops that will make you feel like you “got dressed” for the day but are still comfortable? Even a nicer, pretty color t shirt top makes me feel way better than my ratty college tees. Not that I’ll ever ditch them though… :)

rent putney November 15, 2012 at 6:16 am

I started out reading it I could not necessarily input it straight down till I completed that.