Tomorrow.

by heirtoblair on February 28, 2012

DSC 0316 1024x682 Tomorrow.

Tomorrow Missy will cross over the rainbow bridge, go to doggie Heaven, meet Jesus…any of those things we say to soften the blow but do no justice to the idea that come tomorrow morning, we won’t have our little girl anymore.  Tomorrow she will be just a memory, the kind we pull out at family dinners with a story of how she took a bite of The Momma’s sandwich one time with such a dainty bite.  We’ll laugh & talk about the day she joined our family, where we thought Daddy suprised The Momma with a mini doxie as a Christmas present & we named her “Mistletoe” because “Holly” was too obvious.

& then we called her Missy or Miss or even Fiest for the next sixteen years.

We’ll talk about that December 23rd at 11pm when she had a c-section & delivered 3 beautiful pups.  How we rubbed them like 101 Dalmations & they squeaked little barks & she nursed them so faithfully despite her scars.  There are pictures to remind us of the Christmas morning after the pups were born, where we opened presents with her in the middle because she never wanted to be without her family.

We’ll have those pictures.  & those memories.  But we won’t have her.  Although we’re all ready & we know it’s time, it hurts so badly that right now, I don’t think I can breathe fully.

Andrea @ One Tomorrow at a Time February 28, 2012 at 11:34 am

You made me cry at my desk reading this!! So sorry :( Our dogs were our kids before having a two-legged kid and I know my heart will be ripped out when someday they aren’t with us anymore…

Jennifer @ Also Known As the Wife February 28, 2012 at 11:35 am

I’m sorry to hear you’ll be losing Missy. She sounds like she was a wonderful companion. Know you gave her a fantastic life and cherish those memories always.

:::BIG HUGS:::

KeAnne February 28, 2012 at 11:37 am

I am so sorry about what is coming tomorrow for your family :-( My kitties are a major part of our family and their losses have been just as painful as losing members of my human family.

Kristy February 28, 2012 at 11:37 am

I am so very sorry. I lost my sweet puppy of 16 years, two and a half years ago. I still think of her every day and miss her so much. Praying for you and your family during this time….and sending hugs your way.

Madonna February 28, 2012 at 11:37 am

I’m so sorry. She sounds like she has been a great dog and friend for the past 16 years and I hope her memories continue to live in your heart. *hug*

Sarah February 28, 2012 at 11:38 am

Ugh. I am so sorry to hear about this. They’re not just pets, but members of the family, and it’s always hard to lose one. It sounds like you and your family had some wonderful memories with her, and that makes it even harder.

Kristin @ What She Said February 28, 2012 at 11:41 am

Oh, hon – I’ve been there. We did the same thing with our 14-year-old chocolate lab. And even though it’s been 14 years, I can still remember her last night clear as day. We made her favorite food – pancakes – and let her eat as many of them as she wanted. Then we walked our favorite walk with her, to her favorite place – a pond just across the golf course from our house. And as she hobbled along, I can still remember the two little girls who ran up to me wanting to pet the doggie and asking her name. “Coco,” I squeaked out, trying not to cry for their sake. And all I really wanted to do was scream, “AND TOMORROW THIS TIME SHE WON’T BE HERE ANYMORE!”

And the following morning I remember walking out to the car with my dad and the way he gently picked her up and put her in and then hugged me tight and cried into my hair. It was the first time I’d ever seen my dad cry.

And so now I’m crying with you – because I remember oh-so clearly how it feels.

Meghan February 28, 2012 at 11:42 am

Praying for you… it’s always hard to lose our “fur babies” when they have been so near and dear to our hearts for so many years. But I truly believe we’ll see them again some day. If God loves us so much, then why would He not love our fur babies and want us to see them again someday? Hang in there!

Andrea February 28, 2012 at 11:45 am

I am so sorry to hear about your adorable girl. I am rather new to your blog so I’m not sure if you shared the story.I lost my {first} baby in September and it was, to this day, the hardest thing I have ever been through. It tops my emergency c-section and failed epidural. It’s amazing how these little furballs make their way into your hearts and become such huge parts of your family. All the love and hugs to you guys tomorrow. Not a day has gone by that I haven’t thought about my boy {and cried} since that day. It took me almost 2 weeks to complete a blog post on it! I hope the memories and laughs will help you guys out in the next few months. As with everything in life, time will make it better.

the grumblies February 28, 2012 at 11:46 am

the worst, i really mean it. almost a year since we put our dog down and i still can’t bear to think of it. so uh… wheeee?

nikki February 28, 2012 at 11:46 am

This hurts my heart because our furry friends are a part of the family. Goodbye is never easy and it’s always far too soon. Sweet Missy will be free and running like a puppy soon up in the big dog run in the sky. I totally believe that we will see them in Heaven one day. Hugs!

Becky @ From Ministry to Motherhood February 28, 2012 at 11:53 am

They worm their way into our hearts and become almost human. This post reminded me of our family dog Crosby that left us a few years back. It was so hard at the end and no one wanted to say goodbye. There was so much love there and so many memories. Prayers for peace and comfort are with you and your family.

jenn @ so this is love February 28, 2012 at 11:54 am

Oh goodness. I hate this so much for you. Thank you for giving her such a beautiful life.

Susan February 28, 2012 at 11:55 am

Such a hard thing to have to do, and it really is like losing a part of the family. Prayers for peace and lots of good vibes heading your way.

Jackie February 28, 2012 at 11:57 am

I am so sorry. It hurts terribly to say goodbye. Missy will just be living in your hearts now instead of in your family home. Remember that you are choosing to say goodbye because you LOVE Missy so much, not because you don’t. In time you will be able to breathe, I promise.

Suz February 28, 2012 at 11:58 am

Hugs to you & your family. Missy was so cute & so sweet when I met her this December. I know she will be dearly missed but, like you said, live forever in y’all’s memories.

Liz February 28, 2012 at 11:58 am

My heart breaks for you. My kitties were my first children and the thought of losing one of them breaks my heart. Praying for you.

LfT February 28, 2012 at 11:59 am

So heartbroken for you and your family. There is nothing I can say to make it better. I love you and wish I could give you a hug. I will be crying right along with y’all for sweet Missy. At least you have the amazing memories.

mae February 28, 2012 at 12:01 pm

I’m so, so sorry.

jess liv February 28, 2012 at 12:02 pm

someone gave this to me when my dog of 16 years passed away, & though it didn’t fill the void, it’s nice to look at every once in a while.

I would protect you wherever we’d go,
I’d catch and carry every stick you could throw.
I’d make you laugh when you were sad,
I’d bow my head when I was bad.

I was loyal and walked with you every step of the way,
I would give you my paw … I would even sit and stay.
I’d bark and run when you came home;
I’d jump and cry because you were my own.

You are my world and my best friends,
And nothing can change that, even though my life has come to an end.
Our Creator chose us to be together
To make our lives so much better.

Please don’t cry for me because my life is through –
I was your dog and I will always love you.
So don’t mourn for me and live your lives out,
Because I’ll be waiting on the other side with a stick in my mouth!

And on the days when the sun doesn’t seem to shine
And when hope is sometimes hard to find,
Just think of me, wagging my tail …
Wanting to go for a walk and find a trail.

So dry your tears now, because this isn’t the end;
You will always be my humans … my very best friends!

losing a dog is almost worse than losing a person — when a person passes away, usually you get a chance to say goodbye. if you miss a person, you can watch home videos & hear their voice again. i guess dogs are magical in that way because they come in & out of your life in such a short amount of time, & all you have left is the memory of a tail wagging, big sloppy kisses, & trusting eyes. i’m sorry for your family’s loss, BA — at least we know all dogs go to heaven! <3

kk @ the mom diggity February 28, 2012 at 12:02 pm

My heart is breaking!!!! I dread the day when we have to say goodbye to our furry firstborn. Hugs, mama. I know it will be one of the hardest things you ever have to do!

Laura February 28, 2012 at 12:03 pm

*hugs* to you. I know how a pet is such a part of the family.

amy February 28, 2012 at 12:04 pm

So sorry. I’ll be thinking of you.

Amanda @ One Step At A Time February 28, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Oh BA-I’m so sorry. There is not much worse than saying goodbye to a furbaby! My husband read me this post the other day http://www.upgradereality.com/a-dogs-purpose-from-a-6-year-old/

From the mouth of a 6 year old boy putting his dog down:
“He said,’People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life — like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?”

”Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don’t have to stay as long.”

Ali February 28, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Oh my gosh, I can totally relate. My dogs are 16 & 15 and the other day mom said, “I think she’s really sick Al” about my favorite one. And I kind of felt like someone had kicked me in the face. Pets are definitely family and it’s so hard to lose them. I’m so sorry.

Antonia R. February 28, 2012 at 12:13 pm

For my first Easter, my parents got me an adorable little tuxedo kitten from the humane society. He was my friend and confident for nearly twenty-years, until he passed away in his sleep while curled up on his favorite chair the night before we were going to take him to be put down. He couldn’t hear, he could barely move, it was time. But he went on his terms. We still talk of him and our fun stories, like how he wasn’t graceful until he was up among my mom’s china and crystal to hide out and watch over us.

Our pets become our kids before we have them, our siblings, and our longest, loyalist and truest of friends. They listen to our secrets and never tell a soul.

There are no words to help comfort you, but we’re all here for you. We understand the pain and hurting you’ll be going through. <3

Heather February 28, 2012 at 12:14 pm

{Big Sweet Hugs} coming y’alls way……………I can tell by this post that you gave her an awesome life :)

Ashley Hernandez February 28, 2012 at 12:15 pm

I’m so sorry. I’m assuming she’s sick, so come tomorrow she won’t be huring anymore. I’m crying at my desk as I can empathize with you. You will always have your memories.

BIG HUGS to you guys!

Stacey February 28, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Beth Anne,

We sent my Brownie dog to dogdie heaven last night. I was harder that I thought it would be, I loved him soo. But It was the right thing to do he lived for 12 years.

I pray peace for you and your family during this time of grief.

Stacey

Diana @Hormonal Imbalances February 28, 2012 at 12:27 pm

And now I’m sobbing. :( I don’t think that picture could have been any cuter. I am so sorry.

Amy-Our Happy Married Life February 28, 2012 at 12:30 pm

I’m so sorry. That poem that someone wrote above made me cry. I just wrote on my blog a couple days ago that I dread the day my lil puppy girl goes to heaven. Dogs are a blessing to our lives in a way they will never realize. They have no idea how much they mean to us. Prayers for you sweet girl.

Lindsey February 28, 2012 at 12:33 pm

This post really struck a chord-I don’t know what I’ll do when my dog “goes.” He’s been through everything with me – two university graduations, my first apartment, getting engaged, first apartment with fiance, first grown-up job, wedding, getting pregnant, miscarriage, getting pregnant again, buying first house, birth of first baby, cancer, getting pregnant with second baby, soon-to-be birth of second baby…it’s tough and some people just don’t get it. I feel for you and your family :(

Sherry Carr-Smith February 28, 2012 at 12:36 pm

I’m so sorry. We had to put down our dog, Brittany, two years ago just a week before our second child was born. She was 14 years old and in a lot of pain, but I hated that she wouldn’t meet my second baby. I’ll be sending good thoughts y’all’s way.

Tara February 28, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Oh hun I am so so so sorry. Losing a pet is so hard. I’ll never forget when we had to say goodbye to our dog Angel, it’s been almost 10 years and it still hurts.
Be strong, I’ll be praying for you. ((hugs))

Jill February 28, 2012 at 12:41 pm

I am so, so very sorry.

suzanne @ pretty swell February 28, 2012 at 12:43 pm

I’m so sorry, friend. Big hugs to you and your sweet family.

Stephanie February 28, 2012 at 12:44 pm

I’m so sorry BA!

MomEinstein February 28, 2012 at 12:44 pm

I am so sorry. It’s always very difficult to lose a family member, whether they have two feet or four. I’m so glad you have those wonderful memories of the 16 years you shared with her. ((hugs))

Kelly February 28, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Oh my goodness. . ..I am so very sorry :-(

Nicole February 28, 2012 at 12:45 pm

I’m so sorry for your loss. Mini doxies are the best! Hold tight to the photos and memories. My thoughts are with you and your family.

mrsleahmaria February 28, 2012 at 12:51 pm

So sorry friend. So sorry.

Jocelyn | ScooterMarie February 28, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Aw, I’m so sorry. We had a mini doxie growing up too, and she was colored the exact same way as Missy. They’re the most wonderful little dogs. I’ll be thinking of you guys tomorrow!

aly February 28, 2012 at 1:01 pm

I’m so sorry. On December 18 I had to make the same decision for my sweet old girl Sophia. I knew it was time, but it didn’t make it any easier.

Elizabeth February 28, 2012 at 1:25 pm

OMG I’m sitting at my dest boohooing. I’m so sorry for your loss. I know our doggies have a big piece of our hearts. Saying a little prayer for you!

Ali February 28, 2012 at 1:27 pm

I am so sorry. It’s gut-wrenching and hard. Give yourself some down-time. It helps.

Jenny February 28, 2012 at 1:29 pm

Ohhh…..bless your beautiful puppy.
She knows she is loved.

Nicole February 28, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Feeling your pain… Put my 15 y.o. pup down last Monday. Hardest. Day. Ever. I miss her terribly. And I’m so sorry that you and your family have to do the same. Good luck to the momma.

Rachel February 28, 2012 at 1:51 pm

sweet little girl….
i am so sorry…so sorry. there just aren’t words. dogs are so much better than people…their love is such a gift. there’s nothing that can make this easier….i’m sending you a hug.

Julia February 28, 2012 at 2:04 pm

Sigh…losing your beloved pets is one of the hardest things we have to face in life. So Sorry, she is a beautiful dog and take comfort in knowing she had a wonderful life. I wish our pets had the same life span as us, it’s so unfair they leave us so soon.

Andrea February 28, 2012 at 2:22 pm

So sorry, such a hard thing to do. Will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. (Hugs)

Brie February 28, 2012 at 2:23 pm

I am so sorry that you will be saying goodbye to your family member tomorrow. I have read your blog for a while now, watching you celebrate birthdays and holidays. I hope that you all find peace in all of the wonderful memories that have been shared over the years. Sending lots of hugs and fist bumps in your direction.

Erin February 28, 2012 at 2:26 pm

Awww how sad. I’m sorry. :(

Megyn @MinimalistMommi February 28, 2012 at 2:50 pm

I’m so sorry :( I had to put my cat/first child down last week at the young age of 11.5. I know how tormenting it can be. We have a family dog that turns 17 in April. I think I’ll be going through the same pangs of sadness when her time is up too. My heart is with you and your family!

jennyonthespot February 28, 2012 at 3:15 pm

I am so sorry my friend…. :( {hugs}

t.bird February 28, 2012 at 3:17 pm
Mandie February 28, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Thank you for reminding me to go home and snuggle my babies (the oldest is a spry 4). I’m so sorry you have to be here. My thoughts are with you and the lovely Missy.

Maria @pluslily February 28, 2012 at 3:44 pm

This is so beautiful you have me in tears. We lost our most amazing newfoundland 2 years ago and ..like you.. i could not breath for 3 days. the lump in my throat comes back from time to time when i think of how sweet he was how much he meant to me and my family. Dogs are special people you know.
I am so sorry about your sadness lots of good thoughts and prayers going out to you.

Kimberly February 28, 2012 at 3:59 pm

I am so incredibly sorry.
I don’t even want to imagine that kind of loss. My dog is our baby.
I know that yours was too.
So much love and hugs.

Bitchin' Amy February 28, 2012 at 4:37 pm

I’m so sorry to hear your news…. We just went through this with our “little girl” three weeks ago. It feels so awful right now, but I can tell you that it will get easier. Our kids cried for a week every time they saw one of Austin’s old things (food, dish, bed, etc.) but then it started to get easier. It was her time, too, and a long, rich life filled with love is never something that can be mourned for too long, it has to be celebrated with cherished memories and fond remembrances.

Big huge hugs to help you through the day.

Helen February 28, 2012 at 4:53 pm

We lost my sweet Madison in August 2010, three months after my son was born. She was only 8. I always knew she’d be around when I had a family- I just didn’t expect to lose her right after I became a mom.

I cried for days. It hurt a lot of a long, long time. The anniversary of her passing was really difficult. I still miss her so much but it’s finally getting better.

My thoughts are with your family tomorrow and in the weeks ahead.

Mary H February 28, 2012 at 4:59 pm

My heart broke reading this. I am so,so sorry BethAnne. So sorry.
I have a mini doxie and I know of their love and adoration for the people in their lives. Their licks and their snuggles are the best in the world. How they burrow down into the blanket beside you and greet you at the door tail a waggin. I can’t imagine life without my Lucy.
Again, my apologies. ((hugs))

Maija @ Maija's Mommy Moments February 28, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Thinking of you and sending hugs!

molly February 28, 2012 at 5:49 pm

I’m so sorry. We just went through this a couple weeks ago with our pug. It is so difficult and I’m still so sad about it. Wishing peace for you.

Daneilia February 28, 2012 at 6:14 pm

My condolence to you and your family :(

Melissa February 28, 2012 at 6:40 pm

I am so sorry. I had to say goodbye to my fur baby last year and it was the hardest thing I had to do. I still think about her and it took me a long time to be able to come home and not cry because our home felt different. It will get better and those memories that you have will be what helps with the grief.

Kaitlyn February 28, 2012 at 6:58 pm

No words only ((hugs))

Nicole February 28, 2012 at 7:21 pm

I’m so sorry your family has to go through this. Our furbaby is the center of our universe and while she’s only 2 1/2 I still worry about the day we have to let her go. Losing a pet has got to be one of the most difficult experiences to survive. You are in my prayers!

Morgan (The818) February 28, 2012 at 7:27 pm

So sorry for your loss, friend.

Laurie February 28, 2012 at 10:06 pm

Oh NO, SO sorry! I can’t imagine the devastation. RIP Sweet Missy!

grace February 28, 2012 at 10:08 pm

I’m so sorry. It’s so hard to lose beloved pets! =(

Nicole at Mommy Moxie February 28, 2012 at 10:09 pm

BA, I am so sorry. I’ve been there-the night of my oldest son’s first birthday my seven year old Boxer just wasn’t himself. We took him to the ER and found out he had advanced cardiomyopathy. We had to help him to the Bridge that night and my hysterical sobs could be heard throughout the clinic. I was a wreck for two weeks. The way these animals wrap their way around your heart is unreal…

I’ll be thinking of you all day tomorrow…may my Chipper meet Missy at the Gate and show her the ropes! <3

Emily @ Love{&}Bugs February 28, 2012 at 10:36 pm

Oh this is so so sad :-( What a beautiful dog!

OurGrowingGarden February 29, 2012 at 2:20 am

I’m so sorry. I know how bad it incredibly hurts to lose a pet. (((hugs)))

Andrea February 29, 2012 at 3:53 am

I too have an old doggie that lives with my parents and I know her time is coming too, and I can’t even imagine it. Big hugs B.A, I know how much these furbabies are a part of our family, more than some people ever understand.

Lorah February 29, 2012 at 11:36 am

Around three years ago I was checking The Bump hourly during my first pregnancy. I started to notice that “Blair” kept making comments that made me laugh out loud and that I totally agreed with. I started read posts and say to myself “I can’t wait to hear what Blair says to this”. Then we had our sons within a few months of each other and I clicked on your blog. There I found out that not only do we share similar perspectives on life/love/motherhood I learned you live in Raleigh too (I am in Holly Springs) .

I am the one who when recognizing I am on the elevator with a celebrity would never say “hey I like your work” for fear of seeming trite to the person I know so well but they don’t know me from Adam. Kinda the same thing here. You have coffee with me every morning and have no idea who I am.

But this post so touched me and made me wish it was the “real life” you who I had shared coffee with so that I could give you a big hug and tell you losing a pet is no small thing and perhaps even a harder loss than a human family member where relationships are complex. Not so with our devoted pets. It is simple pure love. It breaks my heart knowing the day you are having as I had to say good-bye to my cat suddenly and unexpectedly the day I brought my second child home from the hospital. I know he hung on knowing I needed him through my pregnancy.

This is a long and clumsy introduction/cyber hug. I wish I had words that would offer healing but I am praying for you, Doug and Harry. Hope you have moments of peace though this sad passing.

Jenny February 29, 2012 at 9:20 pm

I too am a blubbering mess. I hope you and your family can find peace in her passing. To me pets are people, they are family and our best friends. I’m sad for you and will remember your little girl in my prayers.

Abigail March 1, 2012 at 2:58 am

So sorry. Saying goodbye to a pet is truly saying goodbye to a family member. They become a part of our families and leave a gap that can never truly be filled. You’re in my thoughts.

Kate March 3, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Oh, so sad. Our family dog growing up was Zoe. She’s been gone 10 years now but we still talk about her all the time. Hope you and your family are remembering her fondly and feeling peace.