Hurricane Harrison.

by heirtoblair on August 15, 2011

I’ve been asked often about big-boy beds.  & potty training.

I usually cover my ears & sing “LALALALALALA CANNOT HEAR YOU!”  When I’m feeling generous, I answer the questions truthfully, saying that we had no plans for a “big boy bed” until Harrison learned to climb out or turned three.  I was in NO rush to uncage the beast & despite walking before ten months, the kid surprisingly stayed (quite happily) confined in his Munire crib.

Until Saturday, when I opened the nursery door to catch the kid just before he hit the floor.

cribdiving 224x300 Hurricane Harrison.Crib diving, coming soon to the X-Games near you.

(also, I will be praying for the next week on forgiveness for the words that came out of my mouth in this moment)

I put the kid back in the crib, stepped back with my camera ready, & the picture to the left happened.  AS HE LAUGHED.  So I took out the bumper to remove his leverage, & my spider-monkey skills caught the kid again.

It was time to face the music.

Toddler bed time.

I texted my husband & he’s like, “Oh, geez.  Hey!  Check out the deer on the fourth green!” & I’m all ::headdesk::  So I sat Harrison down with some books & juice, dug out the trusty old Allen wrench, & got to work removing the front of the crib.  Trying not to cry the entire time because didn’t I just put this crib together?  Wasn’t it just yesterday that he laid there swaddled, only 8 lbs of delicious baby pudge?

372225898 Hurricane Harrison.

The first night went about how I expected.   I am pretty convinced he spent the night sleeping by the door rather than in his bed (we’re those mean parents that closed our kid in his room) & we had three wake-ups of crying.  Nap time was much better – I’m pretty sure he stayed in bed, but he definitely did not sleep as long as usual.  Last night, he was sacked ON THE BED! at 10pm, but up at 4am.  Which means that I am pouring an extra cup of coffee in the office today.  Will he just naturally learn to stay in his bed?  Do I need to invest in ties or handcuffs?

He’s also cutting his fourth & final incisor, so there’s that.  We had to go inside when he refused to stay in the yard on Saturday, despite his screams.  & we started the battle of feet on the kitchen table yesterday as well, which means that toddlerhood?  It is here like a hurricane.  Complete with the inability to eat anything but ham & chicken nuggets & epic meltdowns when his mean momma won’t let him play in the thunder & rain.

Despite this?  I’m still totally digging this age.  He’s all kinds of awesome with making animal sounds & asking to color & leaning over to smush your face when you ask for a kiss.

oh, what’s that you say?  Potty training?  LALALALALALALALA I CANNOT HEAR YOU.

Jen August 15, 2011 at 9:35 am

Thank you for giving me hope that a 2 year old can stay in a toddler bed without restraints. I’m not sure how we’re going to get B to stay in his big boy bed. Potty training? That’s Brett’s issue not mine!

Rachel August 15, 2011 at 9:37 am

Ha! I love what Nate said. I swear our lives are parallel, but that’s neither here nor there. We just made the transition as well (Sofia is a week or two younger than Harry). I have the same questions that you do, but after a week, she’s already started to calm down with the whole thing. :)

Tammy Dinsmore August 15, 2011 at 9:39 am

OH….I feel your pain, I am totally not ready, our boy is 2 yrs 3 months, still in crib and not potty trained.

Kristen August 15, 2011 at 9:41 am

We have the same Munire crib and are converting it to a toddler bed in the fall. Tell me, are you going to get the toddler guard rail thing? I was going to just go ahead without it, but the instructions say something about how using it without the rail can create a gap between the mattress and the back side that the kid can fall through. But I so don’t feel like traveling back to the (faraway) store where we bought the crib and paying I have no idea how much for the rail.

heirtoblair August 15, 2011 at 9:48 am

Honestly? I don’t know. I was thinking that the rail may provide a little more “security” like the other poster mentioned, but if you’re talking safety with the crib, I do not think the rail is necessary. I have no idea what the instructions are talking about other than a sales pitch, because there is no way the kid can fall through, unless the mattress is too small?

I’m going to call our local dealer & price it…I think it’s around $100 though, so I might see if one of those mesh ones will work.

Beth Thax August 15, 2011 at 9:42 am

So… this is going to make me sound like WorstParentEver, but when Jack climbed out of his crib, the only thing I could muster up after the hugs were, “That looked like it hurt. You should stay in your crib!”

And he actually listened and gave us 6-8 more months of cribby-bliss.

heirtoblair August 15, 2011 at 9:46 am

This is why I love you.

LA August 15, 2011 at 9:43 am

My crazy child never stayed in his toddler bed. I finally threw my hands and the air and bought a full mattress and rails and :knock on wood:: it has been smooth sailing ever since. We also bought the turtle that puts stars on the ceiling and that was a godsend. he’s way too busy checking out the stars to get out and run laps around his room. Regardless its a parent right of passage, mine slept in his closest more times than I can count. Hang in there momma!

Susan August 15, 2011 at 9:44 am

How’s his room look after naptime/bedtime? =)

We had to take all the toys and most of the books and put them in the closet (which has a latch). And now E entertains herself during naptime by taking all the clothes out of her dresser and dressing up her stuffed animals and herself. It’s quite the mess every afternoon. Occasionally I’ll find her in the morning with a bed full of clothes. Cracks me up!

Jessi August 15, 2011 at 9:45 am

We bought a bed rail thingy at Walmart and it keeps him in. I don’t know if at this age they have the ability to keep from falling out? Not sure.

Samantha August 15, 2011 at 9:45 am

as a mom of a 5 yr old, a 3 yr old and a 1 year old i totally recommend the safety rail. and not really for the safety part of it! it gives the illussion for a bit that they have to stay in bed (like creating a boundary). as for potty training? between 2 1/2 and 3 years old is pretty standard for boys. but he will totally dig getting to pee on fruit loops- something i couldn’t do with my girls!

heirtoblair August 15, 2011 at 9:49 am

I thought about that!! I’m going to price the one that comes with the crib, but I imagine we’ll go with a mesh one.

Susan August 15, 2011 at 9:47 am
heirtoblair August 15, 2011 at 9:48 am

this is where I snuggle you for the rest of the day.

Lindsey August 15, 2011 at 9:51 am

We made the switch in May for Madi after she mastered the out-of-crib-climb. (She’s about the same age – dob Oct 24th 2009.) After a few rough days (ok, a week) she now stays in her bed for 13 hour stretches…so it’s possible!
Also, she started peeing in the potty last week on her own…also possible!

Sarah K. August 15, 2011 at 9:51 am

We started Sebastian in his big boy bed for naps this weekend and it went surprisingly well. Still not in a hurry for potty training though. This age IS awesome. Even with the temper tantrums.

Rachelle August 15, 2011 at 9:52 am

We just put Ashton in a twin bed.. yes.. i said twin.. since there are 4 kiddos, we have the girls share a room and the boys share a room.. so when we ordered these fantastic bunk beds.. (loft bed/combo) I told my husband we would just leave the crib up and move him when he was ready (or.. when I was ready to put away the crib *sigh, sniff*).. When the new bed came in.. he wanted NOTHING to do with the old crib. We have been pretty lucky though, We have the crib with the side safety rails and he stays in the bed.. weird… I guess he just doesn’t realize yet that he can get down on his own.. but that’s ok with me!! Good Luck!!

Kourtney August 15, 2011 at 9:52 am

I despise the toddler bed…Elijah gets out whenever he feels like it…we’re meanies too and keep him in his room but it is 100% baby proofed and I have gotten to the point where I don’t wait for him to go to bed anymore…if I did I’d be a zombie the next day. His fav trick is too constantly turn the lights back on and grab books to read. So I give up. I wish I could say it gets easier, but it hasn’t for us yet, 6 months later. Hope Harry adjusts a little quicker!

Heather August 15, 2011 at 10:00 am

Oh, crappity crap. We’re not far from this, and I’ve been blocking my ears about the toddler bed just like you have.

Kristen August 15, 2011 at 10:03 am

I agree that I don’t see what the F they’re talking about with the falling between the mattress and the wall thing! I love the idea of a cheaper rail like the one from Amazon that Susan posted. And this is why I heart blogs. Community of awesome right here.

Katy Shipley August 15, 2011 at 10:07 am

We have luckily not come to this issue yet! J was 2 in May and we just had to lower it to the bottom level. My nephew however was a maniac and wanted out of his crib at an early age. My sister was concerned about using the toddler bed so she just turned their crib around so the back, higher part was in the front. It looked odd and she could never put him in there asleep, but it did buy her another year or so of crib sleeping. :)

heirtoblair August 15, 2011 at 10:15 am

We tried that! But his crib is shaped so that half of the sides are the same size as the front & DARNED if he didn’t throw his leg over that portion. I was like, “YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME.”

Apparently The Momma found me straddling mine at 11 months, so I should count my lucky stars that we made it this long.

Kate Giovinco August 15, 2011 at 10:08 am

Ok everyone I know who has this says that it works. You set the time you want them up. You teach them it is night when the moon is out and when the moon changes to the sun they can get out of bed. For $34.99 on Amazon it is worth every penny.

And I found a blog post on it as well.

Hope that helps.

Melissa August 15, 2011 at 10:15 am

OMG! Here, too! Ellie (09/04/09) mastered the climb last week (in her sleep sack, no less!) & we removed the spring of our convertible crib & put the mattress on the floor, giving us 12 more inches of denial & hopefully a few more months. Seriously doubt it will last & I’m not sleeping well as it is at 35 weeks pregnant, but we didnt want to make the switch before the baby comes, but she is wanting to use the potty, too, and we just changed her school due to some conflicts with her teachers (as in they didn’t change her diaper for 4 hours & she had pooped!) So, I’m freaking out because this was not part of my plan! Sorry to hijack your post, Blair, but I could use some advice, too! everything we read says keep things as much the same as possible before/after a new baby comes, but what happens if your kid didn’t get the memo?! I mean, I’m already planning on being up all hours with one soon, so should we convert her crib to a toddler bed now & hope that 5 weeks is long enough for that adjustment? What about the potty training? She is doing really well & has told us when she has to go (not all the time by any means!) & her new school will start training her, too, so is it impossible to put the horse back in the barn at this point & we just keep doing what we’re doing or WTF should we do?! Any thoughts on a crib tent anyone?

As for the epic meltdowns…this has started, too. This morning, as I was putting her in her carseat/bribing her with vitamin gummy bears, she dropped the little baggie with her 2 bears in it & I reached to get it since she was partially buckled & she said, “Ellie do it!” and then FREAKED out as I handed them back to her & she threw them on the ground and attempted to get out of her carseat, got stuck since i wasn’t fast enough, and then REALLY flipped! Snot all over, screaming so much I thought she was hurt, but when I finally got her untangled & unbuckled & was able to get the baggie herself…silence. Woah. Whole new ballgame!! This mama’s not ready for all these changes at once!

heirtoblair August 15, 2011 at 10:19 am

Girl, I do not envy you!!

I don’t know. I have a friend that SWEARS by the crib tent, but I also hear some nasty recall & safety issues on them. I also have a friend that does the same thing you did with taking out the spring & it’s working PERFECTLY for her. I’m definitely considering it.

omg at the car seat flipping. I might have left him there dangling. (okay, no. but still)

Ashley Hernandez August 15, 2011 at 10:23 am

Robbie has been sleeping in a full size big boy bed for about 2 months now and he stays in it for the most part. If he isn’t super tired he will get out and play and we usually find him like half on the bed asleep.

Give it time. :)

irys09 August 15, 2011 at 10:38 am

Can I pink puffy heart the comments and advice on this post?

heirtoblair August 15, 2011 at 10:43 am

I know, right?!

Kelsey August 15, 2011 at 10:39 am

Good luck with the big boy bed! He’ll definitely figure out how to stay in there… ESPECIALLY since he’s already improving with each attempt. :)

The canine teeth SUCK and they take forever–hang in there.

rebecca August 15, 2011 at 10:41 am

We have a Munire crib, and I didn’t want to fork over the $75 for the rail. I bought the mesh one and it worked great for 3 months…. at which point we bought him a twin bed (again with the mesh rail) because we are expecting #2 this fall and need the crib free. I totally vote for the mesh option for under $30

P.s. FWIW my son is about a week older than Harrison.

heirtoblair August 15, 2011 at 10:44 am

This may be a dumb question, but did he push against the mesh rail?? I like the idea of the cheaper one, but Harry has turned into destructo recently. Or if maybe since the wooden one screws to the bed, that would be better?

rebecca August 15, 2011 at 10:46 am

He runs into it often, but I haven’t seen him push on it… I HAVE pulled and pushed on it to test it though. They are more secure than they look, there are straps under the mattress that go the width of the mattress and hook on the wooden frame of the crib on the side where it is against he wall.

Arnebya @ whatnowandwhy.blogspot.com August 15, 2011 at 10:53 am

Zaid is definitely trying to climb out (but only if someone is in the room w/him). Ha! I think he knows it’ll hurt to fall to hardwood from that far up anytime he says “Ow, hurt” when he trips and falls when walking/running. I think when we convert we’ll go w/the rail (primarily b/c his sister, who just turned 8, still has the mesh one on her bed). And I just realized how ridiculous that sounds and am absolutely clueless why it appears that I haven’t considered how…dumb?…this is until now. So, um, thanks? (Seriously, I’m sitting here now like, why in the hell haven’t I taken it off and why hasn’t she asked? Maybe she thinks it’s normal b/c the top bunk where the oldest sleeps has that built-in rail). I’m gonna walk away now.

Mrs. MidAtlantic August 15, 2011 at 10:55 am

My parents plunked me in a big girl bed (regular twin, up off the ground any everything) at 18 months when I started climbing out. I was potty trained at 3.

Laura is just the opposite. She insists on using the potty (though we are not “serious” about training yet) in the afternoons. But she has never even rattled the edge of the crib to get out.

Arnebya @ whatnowandwhy.blogspot.com August 15, 2011 at 10:58 am

Oh, and in mah shame I forgot to mention: my girls were/are incredibly docile. I would NOT recommend the mesh plastic one for destructo (as my boy is as well) b/c although it’s under and weighted by the mattress, it tends to snap out of place (up or down) if pushed hard enough (does that make sense? You can adjust the height and if you push hard enough (at least on mine that is admittedly 8 yrs old but it’s always done this) it’ll adjust another direction). Also, my girls never tried to climb out of the crib. They just sat and sang delightful arias until someone went to get them. This boy? Psh.

Erin August 15, 2011 at 11:16 am

I know what you’re going through – we just transitioned Wesley to the toddler bed about 3 weeks ago. His first day/night, he did GREAT, but the 2nd and 3rd we had HUGE meltdowns and DH went and slept in the bed with him. We use a baby gate at his door right now, which, miraculously he has yet to try to climb over. Some nights, he may stand there and cry for a few minutes and then climb back in bed, but most nights, he whimpers a few times and then passes out in the bed. Good luck – I know I’ve been saying my prayers every night that my little acrobat stays put!

Katie August 15, 2011 at 11:21 am

I still love the (new) color of Harrison’s bedroom! I think that color would be fabulous in our new house. :)

heirtoblair August 15, 2011 at 11:26 am

I am still in love with it, too! thanks!

K August 15, 2011 at 11:34 am

I always planned on keeping my little monster in the crib as long as possible or until a few months before baby #2 arrived (which would be now). Unfortunately he too had other plans and started climbing out of the crib about 6 months ago. We still have a drop side crib (we’re terrible parents I know) and I just left the side down intending it to function as a bedrail while we finished up his “big boy” room (luckily started months before). The funny thing was that having the side down sort of freaked him out and he didn’t climb out of the crib again for almost 2 weeks. At that point we were ready to move him so we introduced the new room and started letting him choose where to sleep. For a few days he napped in the crib and slept in his bed at night and then he transitioned fully to the new room. There may have been a few days of not sleeping as much but that was all. He does frequently climb out of bed and fall asleep on the floor (he used to crawl under the bed but now he lies down by the door) but I just put him back in bed when I go upstairs to sleep.

ps: We lock his room at night because on top of the normal toddler wandering issues I’m 99% sure he sleepwalks (my mom did and my husband still does on occasion so probability is high that I’m right). When he’s a little older and potty trained at night I’ll have to think about some other solution but for now he’s shut in.

Kristin @ What She Said August 15, 2011 at 11:34 am

Sounds like you’re in the eye wall for sure. ;)

V has only had one semi-crib diving incident, and even then she only stretch her leg along the top of her front railing like a ballet dancer warming up. After I marveled at her flexibility, I thought to myself, “Well, that’s not good.” But so far, we’ve had no more incidents like that. For now.

And I’m right there with ya on the potty training. I just want to put it off as long as possible. Except that for the past two days she’s wanted to pull down her pants, take off her diaper, and sit on her potty bare-assed while reading a book. So, I may not be able to stick my head in the sand much longer.

Laura August 15, 2011 at 11:44 am

Oh my god this just happened to us too! I caught my son right as he was about to ninja jump his way out. so far its only happened the one time (I’m in complete denial) and now am glued to the baby monitor for every peep & cry.

I also have the Munire crib & have been thinking of doing exactly the same (mesh guardrail). Hope it works!!

Oh, & the hurricane stage,….INSANE! I now have to negotiate wardrobe changes with shrieks and screams and “no Mama!!”

Shandell August 15, 2011 at 11:55 am

Kai turned two last month and we converted his crib at 20 months (I felt the same way you did when taking the front off!). My advice, give him a big boy pillow and maybe even a new blankie. It’s not only adorable to see him sleeping on a giant pillow (or under it) but I think it motivated him to sleep in the bed. Although he’s not perfect at staying in, which is where our new camera in his room comes in handy!
About potty training, don’t feel bad! I thought I’d for sure have it done before October (when #2 is due) but our amazing pedi told us that if he can’t stay dry through a nap (signifying readiness) and doesn’t care about being in a wet diaper that it’s not worth the trouble…but that we can surely teach him about going potty, etc.
Praying for little H to stay in bed tonight and get more sleep!

Laura August 15, 2011 at 11:55 am

Ugh we just did this last month. The first week was rough with a lot of Noah getting out of bed immediately we put him down and knocking on the door (“Mama? Maaaaaaaaaaaama?”) but he caught on quickly! FWIW, he’s in a twin with no slats (so the boxspring sits on the floor with the mattress on that) and a mesh bedrail. We only just now added the flat sheet and he likes that a lot. Good luck with it- he’ll get it eventually!

Kimberly August 15, 2011 at 11:57 am

Our son fell out of his toddler bed 1x and he hasn’t fallen out since. He’s doing better about staying in, but nap times are much harder b/c the sun shines just enough into his room that he can see all of his toys. OR he just opens the door, yes, we are the parents that shut the door too!!! :) Good luck and it’s definitely a fun age, but challenging all at the same time. Good luck to all!!! :) (dob 3-11-09)

Laura August 15, 2011 at 12:02 pm

I am all about the crib tents for my twin toddlers who will be two in Sept.

Megyn August 15, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Yep-welcome to it. And 3? I’m finding it MUCH harder than 2. And that’s with him being potty-trained and in a big boy bed. The hurricane is awaiting you ;)

Kelley August 15, 2011 at 12:39 pm

My little monster started climbing out of her crib not too long ago too – and we are also the awful parents who close their kid in her room. Not only that, but I’m the terrible mother who opens the door into her toddler’s head when she decides to pass out on her floor instead of in her bed. Me = Mother of the effing year.

Ginger August 15, 2011 at 1:04 pm

It took my crazy whirlwind of a boy about 2 weeks to chill out about the bed. The first week was ROUGH with wakeups and bedtime and naptime shenanigans, but now it’s pretty cool. We put him “down”, he plays by himself for anywhere from 10 minutes to 2 hours (yup. hey, he’s quiet and chilling, and having fun. And it means I can have a beer). and then he falls asleep. Now, he even gets back in his bed after he’s been playing. It’s pretty much the cutest ever.

Suzanne August 15, 2011 at 1:10 pm

EMBRACE the big boy bed.

LOVE the fact that he can get in and out.

After we switched out the crib and baby-proofed the crap out of the room (and put a thing on the door handle so he can’t get out BWAHAHAHA) Little Evan started sleeping until 8 am on the weekends.

Well, actually NOT sleeping, but because he had his books and a few toys and a nice comfy bed to lounge on he would play quietly and independently until 8 am so Mama and Dada could sleep in. BEST MILESTONE EVER.

Jessica@The Southern Belle Baby August 15, 2011 at 1:43 pm

Oh my gosh, this terrifies me. Knox hasn’t tried climbing out of his crib, yet, but he nearly scaled his pack ‘n play at work this morning and almost gave me a coronary. He also likes to stick both legs through the slats simultaneously then SCREAM because he’s stuck. I pray he stops doing that before his legs get too big and I have to grease him up with butter to get him out.

Hopefully getting a safety rail will keep Harry in bed and not on the floor! I’m right there with you on potty training… just keep singing!

Lisa August 15, 2011 at 2:19 pm

When my son learned to climb out, he did it in the middle of the night without making a peep. We didn’t know he had gotten out until we heard him fall out of the GLIDER in the morning. Guess he climbed out of the crib no prob, didn’t know what to do so he was all “Eh, guess I’ll just sleep in this chair over here.” The chair was all warm and wet from drool so looked like he had been sleeping there for a good long while.

We converted the crib that day and it was about 2 weeks of sleep disruption before we got back on track.

We did the safety rail to keep him from falling out. He was never tricked into thinking he couldn’t get out unfortunately. We tried the Kidco mesh rail but it kept coming apart so we ended up getting the manufacturer’s one. He still falls out of bed every now and then.

Torie@Life With Rylie August 15, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Rylie (11/10/09) climbed out at 19 months and has been in a toddler bed since. The first week or so were fine (I think she thought she was cool or something) but there were a few times after that naps would be a struggle. She would cry and cry at the door. Night time was always great though. We never had problems. It’s been almost 2 months and she is doing great.The best part is the mornings because when she wakes up she will play with her toys in her room for about 15-20 min and let mommy and daddy have some extra sleep time. Then she starts yelling “MOMMY” at the top of her lungs. Haha

Torie@Life With Rylie August 15, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Oh and forget the pack and play at Grammys house. She climbs right out of that now. My mom has to buy a toddler bed for days she keeps her there.

Alena August 15, 2011 at 3:24 pm

We totally don’t use a toddler bed rail. We laid some pillows down for a week or so. We were really lucky, and she loves her bed. And I love that she will get up around 7 but play fairly quietly until 8:30. Which buys me an hour or so in bed to sleep.

PS: Potty training starts here in a few weeks. For Real. HOLD ME.

Tara August 15, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Shoot. I wasn’t potty trained until I was 3 and I am just fine. I potty on my own and everything.

Tarah August 15, 2011 at 4:01 pm

I agree – you blink and they’re grown. My son is only five months (only…I cannot believe it’s already been five months!) and I tear up at each milestone.

For his safety we’ve decided we’ll put a childgate in front of his door when he gets his big boy bed because we have spiral staircases I can already see him tumbling down and off of….

ElleJay August 15, 2011 at 4:33 pm

I have a feeling we’re going to encounter this soon too… but B knows how to open doors… am I suposed to lock him in there?!

Emily @ Love{&}Bugs August 15, 2011 at 4:36 pm

Yes, they do eventually learn that the bed is more comfortable than the floor :-) But mine did the same thing for awhile too.

kate August 15, 2011 at 8:49 pm

My oldest was in a bed by 18 months which was horrible. With our second one once he learned to climb out we turned the crib around and bought ourselves a few extra months. And we will do the same with the youngest! As for potty training boys are easy…I promise! Just dont use pull ups…they are a waste of money :)

Amber @ NotMommy August 15, 2011 at 9:49 pm

HA, is it mean to shut the door? We totally do. Our stairs are SO creaky that if we left it open any movement would wake her. The door will stay closed until she learns to open it herself ;D

Jennifer August 16, 2011 at 12:24 am

My son started climbing out just after he turned two. We told him that he must stay in his crib. Two days of constant escapes were horrible, but I wanted to wait and see if he would get bored of it. And on the third day, he fell. And he hasn’t climbed out since. I’m hoping to get another six months + out of the crib!

Aleta August 16, 2011 at 2:41 pm

wow so many comments! I’d recommend waiting a week before buying / opening past the point of no-return anything too pricey to see if he chills. It took Nolan (07/18/9) about a week or two to adjust, and then I stopped finding him on the floor. The best part about the toddler bed? Saturday mornings when he wakes up, he gets himself some books and entertains himself while mommy & daddy sleep in. Total win.

jess liv August 16, 2011 at 9:28 pm

i don’t know if you want to unplug your ears/eyes and brace yourself for the even larger hurricane up on the horizon, but i found this …

… and thought maybe one day, you’d feel brave/ready/insane and try to tackle that crazy mountain that is potty training (:

Krystal August 16, 2011 at 10:26 pm

Pretty sure Marley sleeps on her floor by her door 98% of the time. I have to ninja sneak in and move her to the bed every night before I go to sleep. and tantrums? oy. Pass the vodka.

TarheelsInNj August 17, 2011 at 1:29 am

My son is a week younger than Harry, and thank goodness he hasn’t started to climb out yet. My mom keeps asking about a toddler bed, because he sleeps on a cot at daycare… I don’t know how they get him to do that but I don’t believe for a second he would stay in his bed at home!

Our crib doesn’t convert, so when we are ready I’m really interested in the idea of a “floor bed” (mattress on the floor). Seems safe and easy for them to get in and out. I love this idea for an upholstered headboard:

Lauren August 22, 2011 at 2:46 pm

I have a daughter that is just a bit older than H. I had the same theory…I am keeping her in the crib until she makes me change it to toddler bed. After a night or 2 of her getting out and up early, I discovered that she was getting up early because she was rolling out. I did not want one of those rail thingies because, good grief, they are EXPENSIVE…enter my cheap fix. A pool noodle…yep you read that right, put that baby under the fitted sheet along the edge, instant bumper that keeps her contained, but is easy for her to climb over to get in or out. First night we used it, she slept to her normal time. We have never looked back.

how to potty train a boy in 3 days August 27, 2014 at 2:48 am

Don’t forget – consistency and positive reinforcement will
go far. These are all signs that your toddler is ready for potty training.
When your daughter is ready to toilet train, the process will be shorter and more relaxed for both
of you.