Toddlers > Infants

by heirtoblair on January 12, 2011

Toddlerhood?  I totally dig it.

The silly, the screaming, the toddles, the tantrums, the cuddles & the crazies.  This morning, Harrison managed to simultaneously step on my kidneys & punch me in the left eye.  It’s enough to make your brain hemorrhage & I was all, “THIS IS AWESOME.”   It’s not for everyone, but for me?  It’s my groove.

(& at this point, I would like to personally thank my older brothers for years of cage fighting training, without which I might never be prepared to be the mother of a boy toddler.)

sweetsunny Toddlers > Infants

I’m beginning to think that it all breaks down into two classes of people:  those that like newborns & those that like toddlers.

Some people are newborn-phase lovers & while I respect that, I certainly cannot get behind it.   Yeah, the snuggles are sweet & when they’re sleeping all hot & bundled on your chest with little baby snuffles, it is magic.  But they lay there like a lump & puke on you, all ungrateful & stuff.  A few weeks ago, I met my friend Amy‘s new baby girl, Charlotte.  Charlotte is gorgeous & yummy & smells beautiful & oh my heavens, is she the dream baby.  Amy did good work with that one.  I held her tiny 8 lbs in my arms, marveled at the ruffles on her butt, & fell totally in love with that little girl…but felt no urge to return to that stage & I’m looking at Amy like “She’s darling, but what does she do?!”

I’m pretty sure this proves what a dick I really am.  But while I love to give my time & service & love, I like to get a little in return.  Ali & I were talking about this over lunch the other day & she said that if she had my kind of experience with an inconsolable screaming newborn, she’d probably feel the same way.  But really, I think I’m just  shallow & selfish.

Toddlers? You give them a kiss & sure, there’s a 50% chance you’re going to get smacked in the face, but there’s also a 50% chance that he’ll lean in & slobber all over your cheek in blessed 15-month-old love.  Last night, I fixed Harrison some raviolis.  Nate was out in the garage & Harry toddled over to the door, stuck his hand in the catdoor & called, “Da?  Da?  Da??” & my heart exploded all over the raviolis until there was no need for sauce.  Or this morning, we sat on the floor & played with the old school Little People barn & I handed him the cow & he put the cow in the freakin’ barn & shut the door.  Because the cow belongs in the barn & I’m like, “HOLY CRAP, you are the smartest kid alive!”

Infants can’t do that stuff.  All they do is drool.

Granted, being the mom of a toddler is aging me quickly.  I’m pretty sure that my blood pressure has risen to a solid 140/90 (not really) & that my heart can only take a few more plunges off the couch before it finally says “eff this noise, I’m outta here!”  A trip to Target without a meltdown in the Gerber aisle is a victory that only the Spartans & other mothers may fully understand.  & right now, Harrison is in this non-verbal stage of life where he knows what he wants but cannot communicate it well & that is frustrating for all of us, which leads to a little face sobbing up at me while I ask in exasperation, “WHAT DO YOU WANT?!  Milk?  Monkey?  Outside?” & he’s just shaking his head “no no no.”

But still?  I dig it.

sweetsunny2 Toddlers > Infants

Look at us, lovingly looking on while the toddler contemplates the best way to climb the wall & give his parents a heart attack.  oh, bliss!

p.s.  all pictures taken in November by my dripping-with-talent friend, Jenny.  but not Triplet Jenny.

The Mommy January 12, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Just so you won’t be surprised if you end up having a girl toddler at some point in your life: They can ALSO simultaneously kick you in the kidney and poke your eye out (sometimes while also kicking your husband in the nether regions – thus ensuring no future competition). Happened to us this morning. 20-month-old GIRL. My Oldest Boy was the same but our two middle kids (one of each) were never quite this physical, I don’t think. Or maybe I just can’t remember. Hell, I’m lucky I remember that there are 4 of them sometimes!

I like toddlers best, too, but there are benefits to each.

Tiffany @ MomNom January 12, 2011 at 1:43 pm

Gosh, that boy is adorable. And I’m with you. I dig toddlerhood.

Shanna A January 12, 2011 at 1:45 pm

I can completely relate to this post. I much prefer toddler-hood to the infant stage.

Inna January 12, 2011 at 1:45 pm

I am sitting here snowed in with my now toddler, still having a hard time comprehending that she is a toddler, but LOVING every minute. We too are at a no speaking phase, which is getting frustrating, but the hugs and kisses and sharing is just too sweet. Oh yeah I thought she broke my nose the other day- her head, my nose, equals horrible pain and tears..it’s not just boys

Baby Mama January 12, 2011 at 1:51 pm

I’m with you, basically. Though I loved the newborn phase, I like this 16-month phase better. But then I have to remind myself: they don’t call it the terrible ones, they call it the terrible twos. And I hear it really lasts until the threes. In fact, ones are the one age you never hear anything bad about. Which leads me to believe we should not come to any grand conclusions about toddler hood for a couple more years. I am not chiding you, this is just a recent realization of mine.

Erin Smith January 12, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Jenny does take wonderful pics :) Love ‘em! Also, I must admit, I do love the activity of toddlerhood – much, much more entertaining than watching a 3 month old drool, grunt and take a poo. :)

aliciamariel January 12, 2011 at 1:54 pm

I am so with you. I have to say that I’ve loved it all, but toddlerhood absolutely kicks ass. Not knowing what he’ll come up with next definitely adds some interest to my life.

Laura January 12, 2011 at 1:57 pm

I have always been a lover of snuggly infants. I loved the NB stage as crazy as it sounds and soaked up every squeak and noise she made. By far the sweetest baby ever.

And then she got big. And screamed AT me. Threw throat punches and used her razor fingernails to claw at my face and eyes. Ahhh, the life with a 22 month old. :) I love it. I do. She is SO smart and so fun, and can kiss and hug and snuggle me back. And hearing ‘Momma” melts my heart every.single. time she says it—even if it’s 2 am and she had a bad dream. But there are those days. Well, every day lately, that she has a complete meltdown over any diaper change. She screams, kicks, hits and claws. Tries to roll over and fling poo. Those are the times when I wish I could rewind to her spewing milk down my cleavage. :)

Liz January 12, 2011 at 2:01 pm

I have a 5 month old, so I’m not there yet, but I can honestly say I’m not missing the tiny newborn days. I am having so much more fun and enjoyment with a baby who can interact with me.

And oh, how I love Harrison’s curls.

claudia235 January 12, 2011 at 2:02 pm

I am absolutely LOVING toddlerhood. But, I also loved the infant stage. I loved it when my little girl was a tiny little baby, and the snuggles during bottle feedings. I loved it all. But I do have to agree with you to some extent, because toddlerhood is just so much more fun and exciting. Every day there is something new to look forward to, something new to laugh about.

Alison January 12, 2011 at 2:08 pm

While I really (and I mean really) love the tiny baby stage, I agree that toddlerhood is where it’s at. I have two boys (22 mo. and 3 1/2), and I love the interaction they have with us and with each other. It’s amazing. Our youngest is still in that “can’t quite communicate exactly what I want” stage. It is frustrating. He says a lot of words, but there are still lots of things he doesn’t know how to communicate to us. Very frustrating indeed.

bonzer-christina January 12, 2011 at 2:10 pm

someone asked me the other day if we would have a third, I said, ” absolutely, if it comes out at 3 years old”

I am SO not a newborn/infant person. I hear a newborn cry in a store, and I shudder, I don’t gush with AWWW’s. I’m like, ” oh eew I fucking hate that sound”

mrshiggison January 12, 2011 at 2:10 pm

I’m on the fence…my favourite stage is about 9mos- 18 mos. Their little personality, their determination to OMGWALKING and their completely blissful smiles when something little goes their way. It’s my fave.

jen @ a little barefoot blog January 12, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Totally 100% agree. I did not even have to have the inconsolable screaming infant or the PPD to say that I wholeheartedly LOVE toddler time more than infant time.

We also spent time with some babies recently and I had the same feelings. this is *yawn* borrrring. Maybe I’m an ass. Maybe I just like a little interaction.

Newborns’re cute and all… but they ain’t got nothing on the force that is toddlerhood. the other day? My almost 19(!) month old says to me “hugs? hugs” and reaches up for me. How can a wobbly neck and some gas-smiles beat *that*?

Beth January 12, 2011 at 2:12 pm

What a beautiful picture! Both of them!!
I read it, I swear I read it, but all I can remember is those lovely eyes that he has!!
My little girl is 8 months old and although it kills me to lose that little baby everyday I find that I loooove watching her grow!

Stephanie January 12, 2011 at 2:13 pm

I completely agree with you! When I was pregnant, my husband and I always joked that we would like to give birth to a 2 year old (not literally, ouch!). I loved Hunter so much as a newborn but I can honestly say that I enjoy his company so much more now that he is a toddler.

Harrison looks absolutely precious in those photos! And Little People… Hunter is absolutely obsessed with his farm! :)

Toni January 12, 2011 at 2:15 pm

I totally agree. We are loving the toddler stage! My son is pure entertainment and we’re just amazed every day by his new words and skills. I would definitely take toddler over infant any day!

Emily January 12, 2011 at 2:16 pm

I kinda love both stages. I find myself longing for a newborn all the time but as the kids grow every “stage” is my favorite. Right now I’m a fan of almost two year olds & 10 month olds but hopefully one day I’ll have another newborn!

Kate January 12, 2011 at 2:16 pm

I’m with you 100% – so far, I love the toddler stage!

But I’ll get back to you on that when we hit the terrible twos! :)

StaceyP January 12, 2011 at 2:18 pm

That boy needs a haircut!

Joanna January 12, 2011 at 2:23 pm

If you’re selfish & shallow, then I am too. I don’t have any kids of my own, but my brother has four kids and I’m honorary aunt to my BFF’s little girl. I love those kids, but they are way more fun now that they’re all older.

I definitely prefer toddlers to infants.

Becky January 12, 2011 at 2:31 pm

I’m totally with you. I love the toddler stage. All my friends are asking when we’re having another one and I wonder what the rush is. In fact I recently thought I was pregnant and had a panic attack over (true story). Proof positive we aren’t ready for another! I’m loving this time with our little guy and I wouldn’t trade it for the world.

I guess I’m selfish too.

Kim January 12, 2011 at 2:31 pm

Seriously. I always say, “I’m having babies to have kids”. Just have to get past the little baby stage, one day at a time, and then it’s fun fun fun! Jack’s 20 months now and I LOVE it. I’m in no rush to live the newborn stage over again, and if the desire for him to have a sibling and thus lifelong playmate wasn’t so strong, I’d seriously consider being one-and-done!

Navigating the Mothership January 12, 2011 at 2:51 pm

When I was pregnant, a co-worker (and mother of 2) said something about not being a baby person. I was kind of shocked at the time and couldn’t believe she could say or even think something like that. What? But…but…you had two babies already!? How are you not a baby person?

And then I went and had a baby and that baby is now a toddler and you know what? I don’t think I’m really a baby person either. And this is coming from a mama who had a fairly easy newborn experience with my daughter. I just think toddlers are so much more fun and less scary.

But guess what? I’m going to have to be a baby person again in six months when my next little baby comes. I’m scared, but at the same time, I know I can feel mostly like a baby person when that baby is in my arms. (Oh ,but won’t it be even better when I have a toddler and a kid?)

Isha January 12, 2011 at 2:57 pm

That last pic? The Gorgeous one? You have such love in your eyes. that is what I totally dig :)

Shaina N January 12, 2011 at 3:00 pm

I used to think I was a baby person… But I swear I’m both!! I loooooooooove playing on the floor, getting kisses, bath times that last close to an hour… But I love sweet baby snuggles. I ache for another baby… I love the sweet baby stage! But I love my toddling bundle of energy and attitude!

Gwen January 12, 2011 at 3:01 pm

I like toddlers too. I LOVE looking at PHOTOS of my children as babies, but reality sucked. Babies are high needs with little payback. Toddlers make me laugh!

Sarah January 12, 2011 at 3:07 pm

What’s that? I think it’s my uterus, asking me to please get pregnant so I can have an adorable toddler in my life asap.

Vee January 12, 2011 at 3:09 pm

Also, HIS HAIR!!!!!! OMG! So freaking cute. Newborns do not have hair like that! (Well, at least not most of them.) =) Great new pictures, Blair!

Sarah January 12, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Oh man I am right there with you! I have always known that I <3 toddlers more than newborns. I love it when their toddling around, saying silly things and actually active. When my Dad got remarried and had another set of kids, my brother and I got to help whenever we were around, and we both agreed that when we were older and had kids, he would take the newborns, and the minute they could talk, they were all mine. Alas, Mags was too cute, so I decided to keep her for myself, but I am anxiously awaiting those toddler days! I don't think this makes you or me selfish, just honest.

Jess January 12, 2011 at 3:12 pm

Totally agree. My husband and I joke that we didn’t really like our kid for the first 6 weeks or so. Now that he’s 8-months-old and has a personality….LOVE!

Cassie January 12, 2011 at 3:12 pm

I don’t have kids yet, but I love newborns when my friends have them. I ache to hold a sweet little bundle, while I have limited patience for toddler attitude.

I really think you’re right: you’re either one or the other!

Esperanza January 12, 2011 at 3:29 pm

I also can’t wait until my daughter is older and can do things. I find her more and more enjoyable as she can do more and more things. We’ll see if it keeps up.

Nicci @ Changing the Universe January 12, 2011 at 3:29 pm

That is EXACTLY how I felt while holding my friend’s fresh baked bebeh this week. He was beautiful and tiny and just a little lump … and I had NO plans to do that any time soon. In just the hour I was with her I felt the frustrations she was dealing with (getting him to latch right, trying to figure out why he is constantly crying, unless he’s on a boob, etc). All things I am SO GRATEFUL to be past right now!

Yeah, I’ll do it again, but at least I know I’m in no rush :)

Brynn January 12, 2011 at 3:31 pm

It’s a huge joke with the family that “I don’t like the fresh ones”. I much prefer the toddler stage, especially with my godsons.

I think boys are so much fun. When the G’boys got older, we cleared out the living room and covered the floor with an air mattress and all the pillows/cushions in the house. We then put one pillow up the front of our shirts and one up the back so that we could sumo wrestle and just bounce off of each other.

Silly string fights, water balloons and destroying lego cities we built are some of my favorite memories.

Joanna January 12, 2011 at 3:39 pm

I LOVE toddlerhood. Clint & I feel like the worst parents ever because while we’re thrilled about our growing family we are not even close to thrilled one little bit about a newborn all over again. Sure, we’ll think it’s so sweet when she sleeps on our chest for three hours but Madison is so fun. She’s my little sidekick all day long and I can talk to her and well, I DONT LIKE THE NEWBORN STAGE. I hate it more than I hate being pregnant. And that says a lot.

Jaci @ Ravings of a Mad Housewife January 12, 2011 at 3:39 pm

I love all kids under 2–even the newborns. I’m one of those weirdos that volunteers in the church nursery because I enjoy the babies. Even the ugly ones (Ha!)

Screaming newborn + hormones + feeling overwhelmed + exhaustion = Jaci freaking out and needing medication. I’m good with babies–but I need breaks from them. I bet you’re the same. :)

Over 2? Oh, gawd. At church, we have another class called Little Lambs where 2′s & 3′s run wild with snot noses running and melt downs and screaming with their mouths hanging open with spit strands dangling. It’s my idea of hell. I complained about it so much I was “removed”. That’s pretty epic. Removed from a church volunteer list.

heirtoblair January 12, 2011 at 5:21 pm

So The Momma said the SAME THING – how she volunteers for the fresh baby nursery at church but nothing else. Cracks me up!

LCW January 12, 2011 at 3:42 pm

I guess I’m in the minority, my ovaries are aching for newborn baby and breastfeeding and lots of weird sleeping. I have found a love {and challenge} in each stage, but toddlers certainly can be frustrating and I’m totally not secretly longing to be pregnant oh so soon. Pass the pregnant juice.

Mrs.TrophyWife January 12, 2011 at 3:44 pm

Totally just teared up because I’m SO there. With another on the way, I keep catching myself thinking, “I can’t wait until the second baby is this age.” And then I have to slap myself on the wrist because, duh, I can’t wish my own child’s life away! But toddlerhood is amazing and sweet and hilarious and draining. I love it.

Grace @ Arms Wide Open January 12, 2011 at 3:45 pm

me too! me too! LOVE this stage. Mine is 2 1/2 and it gets even more fun once they start jabbering!

I could soooo do without the newborn stage. I would probably have three more if they popped out at least six months old.

Guess they don’t for a reason, eh? ;)

Heidi K. January 12, 2011 at 3:45 pm

I have a 3 month old and a 16 month old. I was just having the same thoughts as you the other day. I LOVE my littlest one with all my heart, but his older brother is waaaaay more fun. Oh yeah, and he knows how to sleep through the night.

Nish January 12, 2011 at 3:52 pm

I have really loved each individual stage… every moment is such a wonder as a newborn AND a toddler. I love the personality and the sense of humor and the 100% crazy of toddlerhood. Definitely. But the snuggles, that fresh newborn smell, the tiny toes, the ability to take him everywhere easily… bliss.

Each stage is such a gift. there’s no way I could choose which one I like better. I’ve loved every single bit of it!

Samantha January 12, 2011 at 4:02 pm

I’m a newborn person myself. Toddlerhood is kicking my BUTT!!!!!!!!!!

Mama Marchand January 12, 2011 at 4:04 pm

I am in TOTAL agreement … while I loved the newborn cuddles, I’m loving the older baby/soontobe toddler stage MUCH more. I’m loving seeing my daughter’s personality emerge, seeing her get things, and not having to deal with spit up, blowouts, and all of the other “lovely” things that accompany that newborn stage. Give me toddlerhood any day!

Ashley Gurski January 12, 2011 at 4:25 pm

this. it’s perfect. that’s all.

oh ps? i think i have your shirt. old navy right?

pss. did i mention i love this post? yes? well, it’s SO my sentiments exactly.

Heather January 12, 2011 at 4:25 pm

I didn’t read the rest of the comments but i’m so glad you’re enjoying toddlerhood. But I can’t agree with you – I have a newly turned 2 year old and one on the way and I think babyhood and toddlerhood are both fantastic!!

Ashley Gurski January 12, 2011 at 4:26 pm

by the way, pspspsss or whatever you’d call it, harrison is divine. those blue eyes? I DIE.

that’s all. really.

Andrea January 12, 2011 at 4:52 pm

I’m due ANY day now with our first baby, a little boy, and honestly the thought of bringing home a 7lb bundle of floppy flesh scares the living BEJESUS out of me. I asked my husband the other day if we could just have an 18 month old instead.

Now, I’m not saying I’m not totally excited about having a son, but the newborn phase is scary to me. A toddler is much less intimidating and I can’t explain why. I know they say don’t wish your child older because it goes SO fast but I’m already looking forward to having a little dude who toddles around the house and gets into trouble but also makes me laugh until my belly hurts and stares out the french doors adoringly with his best friend Lilly the Husky ready to explore our huge backyard.

Therese January 12, 2011 at 4:58 pm

I could have written this post… except that I have a daughter. I love how can can communicate better although we still have those sobbing, “what do you want?” moments. I love watching her toddle around! She just started staying Mama & Da ALOT! Before, she would only say it if prompted 50 times.

BTW, the Da thing kills me b/c it reminds me out Outlander – Hello, Jamie! ;-)

heirtoblair January 12, 2011 at 5:23 pm

oh, how I love Outlander references.

tigergreen from the bump January 12, 2011 at 5:08 pm

TOTALLY agree with you….since Evan & Harrison are just a few days apart, we’re in the middle of the same cuteness you are. the running, the climbing, the words, and yes, the tantrums.

I wouldn’t trade this for going back to 6 feedings a day and waking up in the middle of the night for anything. I want E to have a sibling b/c I didn’t, but I just don’t know if I can go back….

MrsG January 12, 2011 at 5:14 pm

My hubs and I totally agree that newborns suck. There was awhile where I could not wait for him to get a little older and now I am trying to stop time.

Aitch January 12, 2011 at 5:40 pm

Toddlers rule! Yesterday I got clocked in the nose with a book and today my boy made it up to me by bringing me a twig.

Amy January 12, 2011 at 5:57 pm

Thank you! I’m honored you featured my snuggly newborn, drool and all! Kisses to you Blair!

I’m interested to see how I handle toddlerhood since I LOVE babies and simply drool over them! (Drool is a theme at my house apparently.)

If I had a toddler like Harrison I’d be in heaven too.

renae January 12, 2011 at 5:57 pm

Seriously a toddler person here. I mean, we didn’t have our little toddler when he was a baby but adopting him as a toddler and getting simultaneously headbutted while patted on the back and hearing “ah luff loo” being spoken with an Ethiopian accent is the best.thing.ever. little man seriously pulled me over onto his pillow while watching toy story the other day so he could scratch “mommy back” while we were cuddling.

Katrina January 12, 2011 at 5:58 pm

Whoa, I’m reading the Outlander series right now, weird to see a reference here. :) I loved my girl as an infant, but this toddler stuff just amuses me to no end. Her dad and I have to force ourselves not to laugh at the tantrums, though, regardless of how frustrating they can be…

Kimberly January 12, 2011 at 6:41 pm

Hands down, I am a toddler lover. I don’t know if it’s because I had PPD and couldn’t enjoy him being small…but this part? Totally rocks. I guess I’ll just have to have another baby to find out if I like the newborn stage…..or maybe not ;)

Susan January 12, 2011 at 7:33 pm

Every stage we hit, I think it’s better than the last. I assume that peaks at some point and by the time they are teenagers you want to send them to Siberia, right?

Oh, and babies named Charlotte are awesome. Mine was/is the calmest child ever. If you have another and it’s a girl, I recommend the name Charlotte. It’s the name of zen babies.

Erin January 12, 2011 at 7:39 pm

I am apparently in the minority here, but I am definitely more of a baby person! As I deal with twin boys who will be 3 in March (and yes, we have been snowed in ALL DAY LONG), I long for the days of baby snuggles, and children not talking back (or asking WHY??? ALL.DAY.LONG), and babies staying where I put them. Toddlerhood is great, and I love the interactions, and how much they learn every day — but there are definitely parts of babyhood that I really miss.

Alyssa January 12, 2011 at 8:00 pm

My sister is pregnant, due in 5 weeks. I just had my second little one a month ago and I also have a 15 month old (bday is Oct 13 actually). She is an incredible help and babysits my 15 month old daughter ALL THE TIME.

She told me she was very happy when she realized they won’t hand her a 15 month old at the hospital, it will just be a little baby. Honestly, babies (to me and her) are so much simpler than the toddlers. It’s boring, perhaps, and you wake in the night once or twice, but it’s not as exhausting as life with my 15 month old, who’s awake almost all day long (just one nap) and likes to play.

Don’t get be wrong, I love playing with her and I love that she says “Da” and (sometimes) “Mama” and can point to what she wants and moves around on her own. BUT she is exhausting!!! My newborn is so much easier.

Miranda January 12, 2011 at 8:00 pm

95% of the time I’m all “TODDLERS RULE AND INFANTS DROOL.” 95% of the time. And then 5% of the time? I just wanna snuggle with a bundle of baby in the recliner and take a nap.

But only 5% of the time.

Kim January 12, 2011 at 8:01 pm

I’m wondering if you’ll say the same thing when that gorgeous boy is 2 or, worse, 3.
I’m a sucker for newborns. That baby scent (without spit up) should be bottled and marketed — such bliss. I hear you, though, on the give and take thing. The newborn is definitely all take, take, take. But, then again — I come back to my point — so is a 3 year old boy :)

Amba @ Team Mummy January 12, 2011 at 8:11 pm

I LOVE both stages. Right now is the best of both worlds for me as I have a 25 month old and 2 months old and its bliss! I think both age groups have pros and cons for example
Newborn; easily take anywhere with you without a tantrum
Toddler; as you said so affectionate and entertaining with words they say!

CONS; SLEEP DEPRIVED on both fronts lol
: )
Love your blog!

Krista January 12, 2011 at 8:13 pm

I’m excited for the infant stage but you are making me “can’t wait” for toddlerhood! LOL

justine January 12, 2011 at 8:37 pm

yesterday? bella came up to me, all sweet and innocent and HEADBUTTED me. smack in the bridge of my nose. right where my glasses sit. i said, “OW!” and rubbed the spot, then she came in real slow and kissed me. then she headbutted me again.

but i wouldn’t trade one second for newborn her. she was all tiny terrorist like then, screaming at me while i was subtly trying to whip out my boob to nurse her somewhere crowded. devil that she is.

you seem very comfortable being a mommy to a toddler. it definitely suits you.

katie bo batie January 12, 2011 at 9:36 pm

Dude. I am TOTALLY a toddler person. I do not want another newborn e.v.e.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r

But- If I could have a 24 lb kid pop out of me at the end of gestation? I would have a billion kids.

Thinking of having a newborn again gives me hives.

Stephanie January 12, 2011 at 9:42 pm

I’m such a mixed bag of emotions. I HATED the newborn stage and thinking about that stage is the only thing that makes me scared of having another child, but at the same time, I’m sad to see the baby stage come to an end. Starting at 6 months my daughter has gotten so delicious and become so much fun and it makes me sad to think of her growing up.

Mandy January 12, 2011 at 9:58 pm

I’m just glad to hear that I’m not the only one with a 15 month old who doesn’t say a million words. My twins are so smart, and the things they figure out AMAZE me, but “mamamamama” and “dadadadada” are pretty much all we get on the regular. Regardless, this stage is awesome and I am completely in love with toddlerhood as well (even when I have to “leash” them in public because they run around like wild banshees and detest their stroller).

Nina January 12, 2011 at 10:11 pm

A. MEN. I was just telling my husband the other day that I want to birth a 1 year old for our next child. (Not really, that would hurt, but you know…). Seriously. My child spit up until she was about 9 months old, she was hard to soothe, and didn’t sleep. I don’t miss it. At all. I’ll take jumping down stairs, head-butting and screeching any old day.

Tiffany January 12, 2011 at 11:19 pm

My son is about Harrison’s age. Totally understand the boy thing. He’s such a bruiser. Completely different than my girl as a toddler. However both have managed to give me a bloody nose in public.

Samantha January 12, 2011 at 11:26 pm

Blair, I totally agree with you! I mean, I still want another baby and all but toddlerhood is much more fun.

I also wanted to say that I am jealous of Jenny’s photography talents! Harrison is still as cute as ever! I love the second picture, with all three of you. It’s beautiful. :)

Liz January 13, 2011 at 12:10 am

I loved the infant stage! But it may be because infant = maternity leave.

Meredith January 13, 2011 at 9:57 am

I’m with you too, toddler hood rocks my socks! Also, I should give a shout out to my brothers for the training too. For real.

Fingers Crossed January 13, 2011 at 10:55 am

He is just sprouting up – I cannot believe he’s 15 months already! What happened?! I enjoy each stage for what it is and try to treasure it because you’ll never get that time back with that child. They are much more interactive when they’re toddlers though, I must admit!

Leah January 13, 2011 at 11:56 am

I am right there with you and agree Toddlers are awesome. I have mentioned to my friends many times that I would be ready to have another…if the kids came out as a one year old. I can’t do the infancy stage again…at least for a while.

Kristine January 13, 2011 at 12:05 pm

Our little boy Elliot is the same age and I couldn’t agree more with you!! Off the topic question……does Harrison wake up soaking wet in the morning? Pee up the shirt? If no, what’s your secret? Brand of diapers? I have tried doubling up, nighttime brand, and moving up a size. Still wet and gross…thus waking up waaayyy too early. Maybe some of your readers will have the answer I need too?

Jersey Beth January 13, 2011 at 12:09 pm

Just a thought… when you adopt, you get toddlerhood in spades and get to skip the not as much fun tiny baby stuff.
You also get to drink as much wine as you want at your baby shower!

Beth

Apparently P January 13, 2011 at 12:28 pm

I’m not sure I really have a preference, but there was one stage that I absolutely loved. I guess it’s technically infant, but it’s beyond the all they really are is a warm, cuddly loaf of bread stage. I loved when Callum was able to sit up by himself but not be able to move from that spot. That to me was heaven! Before that time I always felt guilty when I was putting him down he was just lying there sprawled on the ground.

Brittany January 13, 2011 at 12:37 pm

I LOVE my recently turned 2 year old…definitely much more fun and entertaining! However, I will say that I have a 5 month old and have LOVED having an infant much more this time around. I think I’m in such a different mindset this time that it is so much more enjoyable for me!

besszilla January 13, 2011 at 12:44 pm

I could not agree more. I race out the door to get my 15 month old in a way I never could have faked a year ago.

Elle Jay January 13, 2011 at 12:45 pm

Totally couldn’t agree more !

Katie January 13, 2011 at 2:04 pm

I love toddlerhoold much MUCH more than I thought I would.

but I do love me some newborn lumpness. Just lay there and sleep next to me.

word.

see? Eddie was a horrible newborn. I wanted to fire him because he was all colicky and ridiculous. I am convinced I will get the quiet, sleeping one next. maybe? PLEASE?

Kristin January 13, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Agreed. I dug those moments where he was cooing at me and smiling and snuggly but those were few and far between with Mr. AR and Milk Allergy. I’ll take my chances with having a block inadvertently chucked at me or getting a high five any day.

TarheelsInNj (thebump) January 13, 2011 at 2:12 pm

I love this post! I totally agree. It’s really frustrating at times, and I’m freaked out about discipline, but it’s also so very rewarding. Toddler snuggles are so sweet, and my LO has just learned to blow kisses. It’s the BEST!

I totally LOLed at this line:
“WHAT DO YOU WANT?! Milk? Monkey? Outside?”

Ha!

Courtney January 13, 2011 at 3:09 pm

I appreciate the infant stage much more now that we’re through it (definitely better snuggles) but OMG, 16/17 months is so fun. My little guy cracks my husband and I up on a daily basis. We’ve become those annoying people who tell you kid stories every time you ask us how we are.

Caroline January 13, 2011 at 5:14 pm

Amen, sister. I am a BIG fan of the toddler stage.

Mrs. Foreste January 13, 2011 at 7:52 pm

Oh ma God he is such a handsome baby. Those eyes?? ::dies::

I absolutely LOVE toddlerhood too! I actually think it’s easier than the newborn stage, but most people disagree with me. Even still, I can’t wait to have more babies haha. I’ve already caught baby fever for #2!

Sara January 13, 2011 at 8:03 pm

Can I just say how in awe I am of you and the progres you have made. We need to hug. Plus? Your kid is totally cute. I love him!

Stacey January 13, 2011 at 11:27 pm

Toddlerhood = the best

And I loved the newborn stage to pieces.

Kristin January 14, 2011 at 2:00 pm

I have a little girl who’s six weeks younger than Harrison and every bit as rough and tumble, and I’m also loving it. All the things you mentioned – the kisses and snuggles, the way she calls DH and me by name, the way she wants to share everything with us. She recently started waving “bye-bye” lovey every morning before we leave for work/daycare, which totally melts me heart. And the the things she knows and recognizes? I can practically see the wheels and gears of her brain turning and it never fails to awe me. So, I’m right there with ya. But part of me will always miss her infant stage as well, even if she was pretty damn boring.

Kristin January 14, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Um, that would be she’s started waving bye-bye *to her* lovey every morning, because prepositions and pronouns are important. And it totally melts *my* heart, because I’m not a leprechaun. Stupid itchy trigger finger.

B January 14, 2011 at 2:22 pm

I may have already commented on this and just forgot (?? damn you sleep deprivation), but I loved this post so much, I didn’t want to not comment, so here we are. Potentially again. Sorry.

Anyhow, I couldn’t agree more. Seriously, I LOVE toddlerhood. I am a toddler person. She can interact. I can say to Ava, “Where is sock monkey?” and I watch the little gears turn in her head as she scans the room and then goes to get him, shrieking her way back to me. I LOVE it!

Liza@blahggy January 14, 2011 at 3:32 pm

I have a feeling I’m going to love the toddler stage. Every month with Sailor gets better and better because she can DO more, and I’m so looking forward to when she can talk and do cute toddler things.

My mom was a “love the toddler phase” mom. She told me when I was a baby she didn’t know what to do with me so she’d vacuum and start singing, “We’re vacuuming, we’re vacuuming!” and that was it.

LOVE the photos.

Jess January 14, 2011 at 7:15 pm

I definitely think I’ll be more of a toddler person than a baby person. I think it’s kinda like cat people vs dog people.

emily bilbrey January 15, 2011 at 2:16 pm

love this post! and for the record, i don’t think that loving one stage over the other makes you selfish OR a dick; i know plenty of people who feel the same way! some people ADORE the infant stage but find themselves totally lost & frustrated by toddlerhood. others are more like you and cherish the true interaction that comes with their babe growing up a bit! personally, i’m one of those weirdos that has loved it all, but you know what? i’m not even sure i want another kid! haha! (ok, that’s a lie – i know that i want exactly one more. but not for like, two years and that will only be if i can convince the hubs to give up the goodies again.) (heh.)

i think you’re in for a real treat over the next few months with harrison. months 16-21 have been INCREDIBLE with poppy and her development; i always loved being her mama but i’m having way more actual FUN at this age than ever before. you will marvel at the things he will learn every day at this age. it’s all soooo awesome and i’m thrilled to hear you’re enjoying it so much!

cheers!

Good Egg Hatched January 18, 2011 at 12:21 am

Okay so I’m one of those crazies that loved the newborn phase. I’ve been really weepy — just grieving — over leaving the baby stage behind as my son turns one next month. But this post from you? Gives me so much to look forward to. Thanks for bringing me back from the edge.