So I’m doing that blogging conference thing again.

by heirtoblair on January 4, 2011

tumblr le1zupJ9xD1qbcs4so1 400 large 300x199 So Im doing that blogging conference thing again.Where I pack a suitcase with party dresses & business cards & a journal & power strips.  But this time, I am flying out to Nashville to Blissdom, with many thanks to the lovely folks that make the best underware in the universe, aka Jockey.

& I’m all shades of an excited, nervous, hot mess about it.

Which is, of course, RIDICULOUS.  Because I have already done the hop-on-a-plane-&-go-meet-strangers thing.  I not only survived it, but I effing ROCKED it.  (case in point:  I met The Bloggess & didn’t pee myself.) I had zero expectations of BlogHer & the people I would meet.   But New York City & BlogHer?  They set the bar pretty effing high.  I made life-long friends.  I was comfortable.  Confident.  I only spilled coffee on one unfortunate victim & only had one near-collision with someone  off an elevator.

Thankfully, that someone was Ree Drummond & she was completely gracious about it.

What happens if I can’t pull it off with the same finesse in Nashville?  What happens when I trip down the stairs?  Or fart in my sleep?   & I will probably do that thing where I talk way too much until I say something inappropriate, thus ostracizing myself from any conversation.   Also, I feel such a need to simply be comfortable after months & months behind a stuffy desk, that all I dream of packing are jeans & boots & cardigans & tshirts.  But I don’t want to be that schmuck that didn’t get the DRESS TO IMPRESS memo.

Biggest fear – what if I hold out my hand, smile, & say “Hey!  I’m Beth Anne from Heir to Blair!” & people are like, “Who?  What blog?   Never heard of it.”  & then they turn their backs to go hang out with someone infinitely more popular & cool.   Which is silly because most bloggers are truly nice little nerds that all harbor the same fears.

So if y’all see a freakishly tall gal sitting in the corner looking like she’d rather puke & eat moldy squid than be friends, please come say “hi.”

p.s.  this post brought to you by a complete emotional breakdown at seeing conversations regarding my 10-year high school reunion floating around Facebook today, thus triggering complete self-diagnosed PTSD over being the biggest nerd in school, convincing me that I will be the biggest nerd at Blissdom.

p.p.s.  I’ve also had way too much caffeine this afternoon.  zomg!

LCW January 4, 2011 at 5:14 pm

Hehe, you spell underwear consistently wrong, it makes me chuckle! Or maybe we’ve talked about your spelling it wrong…either way have fun at the conference, don’t forget to pack extra under WEAR.

heirtoblair January 4, 2011 at 5:21 pm

Under where?

Under WARE.

Shell January 4, 2011 at 5:17 pm

I will fight you for title of the biggest nerd there, don’t worry!

Jess@Straight Talk January 4, 2011 at 5:19 pm

Shut it. Because if it was me there and I got to hang out with you? You’d be all, oh em gee um, Twitter unfollow you crazy girl! Kidding. We’d go to Bojangles and eat like pigs and be happy. And probably some North Carolina bbq too. Because NOM. I really need to go back there…

You’ll be awesome. Have fun!

Ashley Gurski January 4, 2011 at 5:22 pm

girl! just BREATHE! you will be fine. more than fine, in fact, awesome. just be you, nerdy & all. i’m sure they will love you. & if they don’t, then it’s their problem, not yours.

so go rock it.

& i wish i were going. i have this thing about meeting you. i just think it would be really cool. am i weird?

Gina January 4, 2011 at 5:27 pm

I am JEALOUS!! Have fun!

Jill @ Rustic Bliss January 4, 2011 at 5:28 pm

Dooood! That’s awesome! Once you get there you’ll wonder why you ever posted this. Go! Get out there! You’ll come back with SO much to talk about…and those of us dweebs who wont be there want to hear All about your adventure. Got me? =)

heirtoblair January 4, 2011 at 5:28 pm

Gotcha :)

liz January 4, 2011 at 5:30 pm

so jealous, too!
we’ll be living vicariously!!! have a great time!

Stephanie January 4, 2011 at 5:33 pm

You will have the time of your life and look back and laugh about how nervous were before going. :)

brittany January 4, 2011 at 5:35 pm

say whaaaa? i would FREAK OUT if i got to meet you! you will so not be sitting in a corner!

Krista January 4, 2011 at 5:40 pm

Dude, I ‘m just jealous that you’re going to Nashville. My very-best-friend-since-we-were-12 used to live there and hands down, visiting her was the best time ever. Have fun!

bonzer-christina January 4, 2011 at 5:51 pm

You’re silly. you’re going to have a lovely time and you need to stop putting yourself under such a microscope.
Blair, we know everything about you because of your blog, including that you’re human, and like the rest of us humans, you fart, and spill things and trip.

Devan @ Accustomed Chaos January 4, 2011 at 6:01 pm

you will be just fine :) you are lovely & far from a nerd. so glad i got to meet u at BlogHer – sadly i will not be at Blissdom but you will be very loved ♥

R's Mom January 4, 2011 at 6:09 pm

You’ll have a fantastic time! And probably bunches of people are looking to meet you and thinking “what if Beth Ann doesn’t like me? She’s so cool, and I’m a dweeb.” If I were going, you’d be the blogger celeb that I would want to meet!

Coconut Mommy January 4, 2011 at 6:24 pm

get out the net and capture those butterflies in your stomach — you’ll be fab of course!! and since you’re in Nashville make sure you check out some of the down home honky tonks! it IS music city after all and home to some of the sweetest, most down to earth folks around.

Monica @ The Writer Chic January 4, 2011 at 6:38 pm

Oh, Lordy….BlissDom. BD09 was my bloggy “coming out” and I was puking-in-the-parking-lot terrified. Needlessly. It rocked, and I made some great lifetime friends.

bedrest kept me away this year, and…well, I’m not sure what kept me from registering this year….but YOU will be fine.

And maybe we’ll meet? I’m meeting some other girlfriends/BD attendees for lunch one day, so I’ll be “around” the conference, baby Erin in tow…. I’ll keep my eyes open for you and your corner (or, more likely, you, surrounded by adoring readers!)

heirtoblair January 4, 2011 at 8:14 pm

BE STILL MY HEART.

Monica, you must find me so I can hug your neck. You were one of my very first “blogging” friends & I am dying to meet you in person.

Nikki January 4, 2011 at 6:54 pm

jealous!! Nashville is amazing! Have so much fun!!

Erin January 4, 2011 at 7:04 pm

“most bloggers are truly nice little nerds that all harbor the same fears”

best quote ever – also, um very true – okay, maybe i’m only speaking for myself….anyone!? :)

pinkflipflops January 4, 2011 at 8:29 pm

you will be fine. have fun! nashville is a favorite city of mine!

Shannon January 4, 2011 at 8:41 pm

Psshhh- Lady you will rock this. Take lots of pics and wear blingy headbands & designer things ;) Bahaha!

Can’t wait to hear ALL about it!!!

XO!

ps I’ve been working out so I can fit in your suitcase!

Kimberly January 4, 2011 at 8:55 pm

Whatev BA…if it were me and I saw YOU I’d be dying a lot and watch you very stalkishly from the other corner of the room and if parchance I ever crossed your path I’d be all “Uh, hi BA, it’s me Kim. I’m from Canada. Canada loves you. I love you”…then I’d die, cause that’s how awesome you are in my little corner of the universe.
I’d die.
But I’m not awesome enough for Blissdom…or any other conference…or sponsors…or air…but maybe one day…one day….
Then you’ll get to know how boring I am in real life ;) and know that not all Canadians have pet polar bears in their backyards.
But you rock and I know that you’ll kill it in Nashville. Kill. IT BA. KILL. IT.

Sarah January 4, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Serious question: how do you ever expect to become a stay at home mom if you are going on these trips twice a year? Jockey doesn’t foot the entire bill. You tweet about the new clothes you buy, the new cosmetics you try, being tempted by Apple products (which inevitably you end up buying because you’re impulsive) your coffee shop stops and etc.? I remember you writing about cutting cable. That’s not going to cut it. You know it. You’ll never be a stay at home mom.

heirtoblair January 4, 2011 at 9:58 pm

So what makes you think that these trips aren’t fully sponsored?

I am seriously laughing so hard at how far off-based your comment is.

DesignHER Momma January 4, 2011 at 9:23 pm

I’ll be there, I’ll be there, I’ll be there!

Can’t wait to meet you!

Abbey January 4, 2011 at 9:25 pm

“Wow” to Sarah’s comment. Leave the woman alone, I’m sure she’s a big girl that can manage her finances just fine.

heirtoblair January 4, 2011 at 10:02 pm

Thank you, Abbey!

Indeed, I does owns a calkulador & can add figures in mah head ;)

Aly January 4, 2011 at 9:54 pm

I live in Nashville. I want to come to Blissdom and meet you. In a very non-stalkerish kind of way, of course.

heirtoblair January 4, 2011 at 10:04 pm

So not weird :) I would LOVE to meet you. I’m actually thinking of maybe trying to get a meeting place or something?? There are so many cool folks that aren’t going to Blissdom that live in the Nashville area.

Becky January 4, 2011 at 11:49 pm

So jealous! Sounds like such a fun weekend. Just relax and be your fabulous self. Everyone will love you!

Aly January 5, 2011 at 12:03 am

So fun! I “know” you from the Bump so I’m exactly a stranger!! If you decide to do a meet up, maybe post something?

Aly January 5, 2011 at 12:03 am

NOT exactly a stranger….

Katie January 5, 2011 at 3:14 am

It cracks me up that you have these strange people that, obviously, follow your blog and then can’t wait to write something mean! Read something else people!!! Geeezzzz!!! I hate negative nancys!

Erin Smith January 5, 2011 at 9:06 am

YAY! Have fun! You’ll do just fine – they’ll love you just like we do.

Tiffany @ MomNom January 5, 2011 at 10:21 am

Breaking. Heart.

heirtoblair January 5, 2011 at 10:28 am

You will be there in spirit, friend.

Grace @ Arms Wide Open January 5, 2011 at 11:28 am

whatev you will SO be surrounded by adoring stalkers at your every turn. You know it’s true!

have fun, you deserve it.

Molly January 5, 2011 at 12:01 pm

After you tweeted about this I looked it up. Financially, it was feasible for me. But the timing is off as my sister is due with her first baby at the same time!

I wish you luck, BA. You’ll rock it just like blogher. Which I’m for sure going to. Where we will finally meet. I’m so excited!

Kristen January 5, 2011 at 2:13 pm

You are coming to my city!! Not going to Blissdom here, but If you do have a meeting spot at some point, I’m all in!

bonzer January 5, 2011 at 3:08 pm

Blair, you were $480 dollars away from being a stay at home mom. I hope you’re happy. You blew that whole existence for an Ipad.

Lindsey@ClassicIvory January 5, 2011 at 4:41 pm

girl, you are so funny and honest and usually make me giggle every time I head over here. have fun at Blissdom…maybe one day I will end up at a blogging conference…and if so…I will so crazy nervous…and maybe I’ll come back here and read your posts to make me smile ;)

tigergreen from the bump January 5, 2011 at 5:05 pm

Have fun! I went to school my freshman year of college in Nashvegas…it’s a fun town. Not as fun as Memphis, of course….
;)
If you get around the Vandy area, hit San Antonio Taco Company for lunch…great college Tex-Mex place – buckets of beer, etc. I make sure I stop there every time I’m up there.

Mae January 5, 2011 at 5:26 pm

Speaking as the girl standing next to you when we nearly ran over Ree Drummond and who subsequently held your hand and squealed like a 13 year old girl while jumping up and down in the elevator bank afterward, I can assure you you are going to be awesome.

And I know for sure that you will at least wait for the elevator doors to close before flipping your shit. Because you are classy.

Also I have no recollection of you farting in bed. But I was extremely medicated so that totally could have happened.

heirtoblair January 5, 2011 at 5:29 pm

oh, Mae. You are just what I needed.

& that Ree is a tall glass of water, no?

Law Momma January 5, 2011 at 7:18 pm

I’m totally gonna fart in my sleep. And maybe when I’m awake, too. I’m really very gassy. I’ll try to cover it up with coughing though.

No worries, friend. I can assure you NO ONE is more socially awkward than me.

Law Momma January 5, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Oh and also? If it makes you feel any better, I’m gonna be all “I’m Law Momma from … Spilled Milk” and people will say “Dude. Who cares? THAT OVER THEIR IS BETH ANNE FROM HEIR TO BLAIR” and then run me over to get your autograph.

Heather January 5, 2011 at 8:44 pm

You’re coming to MY town! Is it at Opryland Hotel again? Last year Cecily was at Blissdom and I met up with her and Jo from Leery Polyp (Modernity Ward) and we had lunch. So fun! Then a few months later the hotel and mall flooded so I sent pictures to Cecily. So sad! Haven’t seen the hotel since it reopened in November. You’ll love it here. It’s a great area.

Stephanie January 5, 2011 at 10:52 pm

You’re going to do totally amazing — I would die to go, and sit in the corner with you — but you won’t be sitting in a corner. There will be amazing people who you’ll meet and they’ll be thrilled to meet you. The anticipation of things is always the worst….I’m so bad at that. I try to expect the worst so I can’t be disappointed, but it always turns out okay, so why do I torture myself???? :) Enjoy it, you deserve it.

Janna January 5, 2011 at 11:13 pm

I live in Nashville and you will do fine.. I know some great places that you should check out if you get a chance… Are you guys staying downtown?

Stephanie T January 6, 2011 at 8:11 am

Isn’t Sarah the same witch from the DVD player post? Or am I just dreaming that? Either way, I’m almost (really 100%) positive that you can handle your money like a big girl and don’t need people named Sarah breathing down your back. JEEZ LOUISE!

On a bring it back to Blair note, you will be amazing. The end.

Katy P January 6, 2011 at 11:33 am

off topic but no more McFatty Mondays?

back on topic: I live in Nashville and it is true – you will meet the nicest people here! It is just a slower pace of life and people are automatically nice. I moved here for college 8 (OMG EIGHT!) years ago, met my husband, settled in and never went back. I can’t imagine leaving!

Katie January 6, 2011 at 2:15 pm

soo….

I won’t be there to act like an idiot in front of you…BUT a “flat” version of me will be there! Look for me…get your pic taken.

I’m hoping “FlatKate” can meet all my fave bloggers for me.

that would be you.

Fingers Crossed January 6, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Everyone will love you of course! You’re hard not to love! :)

KJ January 6, 2011 at 6:05 pm

Blair I absolutely LOVE your blog. Not to be one of those really creepy stalkers… but I have read every one of your posts and you are SUCH a great writer! Inspiration to start my own! :) Have fun at the conference!

MrsG January 7, 2011 at 2:11 am

Well if you need some extra confidence how ’bout you are hands down my fav blogger and inspired me to start my own blog 2 years ago? :)

Life with Kaishon January 7, 2011 at 10:12 am

It sounds like a fun time : ) My friend Angie from I Heart Faces is going to be there. Hope you have an awesome time!

Sarahviz January 7, 2011 at 12:06 pm

Would love to meet you there! (I’ll be the one in the fetal position in the corner, rocking and humming…right before I have to get up there and SPEAK. On a PANEL. OMG.)

Andrea January 8, 2011 at 12:52 pm

I’m a huge impulse buyer and spend entirely too much money and I’m a stay at home mom. I’m not saying it’s cool. I’m just saying it’s possible. And no, DH doesn’t not make an obscene amount of money, and yes we have a mountain of bills. It will happen, don’t listen to rude, negative people.