It’s not a cop-out, I swear. But I think my scale may need an exorcism.

by heirtoblair on August 30, 2010

I worked hard this week.

Last week was a wake-up call for me, & I kicked it into high gear.  I stuck to my Nutrisystem food & plan.  We walked four nights out of the week.  On Saturday, we took a long walk in the park with several hills.  I sweated.  I pumped up the hills.  I pushed the stroller, felt my muscles burn, & chugged water.  I veered from the program twice – once on Friday morning with breakfast at work, but made up for it with a workout Friday night.  & then Saturday night on date night – but I immediately split my plate in half, & took home half of the meal.

I worked HARD.

Picture 4 Its not a cop out, I swear. But I think my scale may need an exorcism. On Tuesday morning, I hopped on the scale just to see if any progress had been made.  For motivation.  (also because I’m a scale addict)  Because even if I was down a few ounces, it would keep me going.

& the scale said 204.2 lbs.  Roughly four pounds lost in…two days?

huh??

I made sure the scale was flat on the floor, reset it, & stepped on it again.  204.2 lbs.  I fist-pumped the air, & didn’t step back on the scale until this morning.  At 207.4 lbs.

HUH??

I hate to do the typical cop-out.  I really wouldn’t pull this card if I wasn’t truly perplexed.  But y’all…I think my scale might be broken.  An almost eight-pound weight gain, then a four pound loss in two days, then a three pound gain even though I was doing everything right?  With my clothes fitting better?  I don’t know.

LE SIGH.

But I did my best.  & that’s what matters.

Also?  I’m going with me losing four pounds this week.  JUST BECAUSE I CAN.  & we’ll just have to see next week whether or not I need to buy a new scale.

I did, however, realize a few things this week – like how I like my body.  I LIKE MY BODY, Y’ALL.  I don’t know whether it’s the drugs talking, or the fact that I’m at pre-baby weight & fitting into my clothes, or whether it’s just me accepting my reality.  But when I look in the mirror, I’m okay with the reflection.  Sure, I’m a little softer around the edges.  I have a pouch of fat & skin around my belly button.  I’ll never look like Heidi Klum.  But I look pretty okay for just having had a baby.

awww, man. I don’t really get to use that excuse anymore with a near one-year-old, do I?

But I look pretty okay.  & I’m comfortable with it.  I need to keep striving to lose more, because my BMI numbers still aren’t in a healthy range, but it’s good to feel good about myself.  To be comfortable in my skin, to know that size is only a number that says nothing about who I am as a person.  & I feel a mental shift towards wanting to be HEALTHY, rather than a specific number in my pants or on the scale.

Granted, that number on the (potentially broken) scale can be an indicator of health.  So I can’t completely disregard it, no matter how badly I want to throw the (potentially broken) scale out the window.

Where do you think you need to be to feel good about yourself?  Are you there?

Also…does my scale need an exorcism?

bonzer-christina August 30, 2010 at 9:23 am

I don’t think it’s your scale. I think it’s just normal in the road to weight loss.
I know that my scale fluctuates anywhere from 2-4 pounds based on
1. have a crapped lately ( :) you love me)
2. how much water have I had
3. am I near my period, post period, ovulating, PMS’ing

that’s why they (who is they?) say not to weigh yourself more than once or twice a week, because it will discourage you if you see these ups and downs and ups day to day.
Hang in there. Sounds like you had a great week and your effort will pay off in the long run.

thenextmartha August 30, 2010 at 9:23 am

I have two scales. Neurotic much? BUT I broke one by dropping something on it. No, it wasn’t my ass that fell on it but now I am down to one scale and can’t be SURE that it too is ever correct. ;)

Torie@Life With Rylie August 30, 2010 at 9:24 am

Yes, that is what matters! That you did work hard and that you like your body. No matter what size we are we should love ourselves (and make sure that our bodies are healthy) :) Keep it up girl!

Kate WEst August 30, 2010 at 9:29 am

Two words. Water weight.

It’s a bitch. Make sure you drink plenty today. Cut out some salt, and weigh yourself again tomorrow. Unless you’re on your period. Then you should wait.

Erin August 30, 2010 at 9:32 am

I’m going to have to go with No, with regards to the scale. My scale does that and I just bought it. My weight seems to fluctuate throughout the day and week, by sometimes 5 pounds!

That being said, keep up the good work! Feeling better and having clothes fit better is more important than the number on the scale, IMO.

kae August 30, 2010 at 9:33 am

oh mama
my scale is moody too
maybe time for a new one?
i wish i could test them out at the store
you know, see which one LIKES me?

i think you look amazing
and you SOUND amazing
and i am so happy to hear you feel good about where you are
you should
you really should

also? my last kid is 15 months
but i still pull the just had 2 babies back to back card

also?
they are tearing around like little maniacs
so i am hoping trying to keep up is going to help

GO MAMA!

liz August 30, 2010 at 9:36 am

a loss is a loss is a loss… yeah!

i’d give your scale another week or so… before you pitch it or call in the priests.

i’m happy to hear you are in a good place right now…

i lost this week too… but i’m trying really hard not to focus on the numbers (i’m a scale addict too – i had to put our scale in the upstairs bathroom so i don’t step on it as easily…) and trying to focus more on feeling good and eating well, and just being generally ok with me. not to mention my little son is at the age where he is definitely watching EVERY THING i do… and EVERYTHING i put in my mouth… and i’d rather be a good role model than anything else. you know?

Victoria August 30, 2010 at 9:50 am

That happened to me so now I have two scales to consult lol one does put me heavier than the other but not by much!

Here is my McFatty Monday, Ive lost 35 pounds so far but still have 15 to go and keep falling off the wagon *sigh* but my new goal is to lose 5 pounds by my annual OB appointment in two weeks so I’ll only be 5 pounds over my pre-preg weight

Cristina August 30, 2010 at 9:59 am

Hey it’s not so much about what your scale says at that moment, I promise. If you just keep eating healthy and working out 4 times a week, i promise you it’ll come off!!!

Keep up with the positive attitude and within a month, I assure you it’ll be going down, even if your scale is utterly insane.

Alena August 30, 2010 at 10:02 am

Quit breaking into my wordpress and talking about my broken scale. Which I talked about today.

If mine isn’t broken I will be shocked, and in a tad bit of disbelief. But happy because dude, it’s amazing if it’s right.

Krista August 30, 2010 at 10:03 am

I think you are doing great! Your scale may be broken, you’ll find out next time you weigh. Keep up the good work, I am so happy for you and I hope that I can get to that “I feel good about my body” stage. I lost 5 pounds in 3 weeks and I was so excited but I gained 2 back this weekend, I’ll get there eventually. I really try not to weigh more than once a week for fear that I’ll get discouraged and quit. Anywho! Great great job!

Krista

Carol Ann August 30, 2010 at 10:06 am

Sometimes my scale totally wigs out and then I stick one of my 5 lbs dumb bells on it to see if it is telling me the truth or not. It usually is…which means my body is wigging out and not so much the scale.

Desi August 30, 2010 at 10:30 am

I think the best way to judge your progress is how you feel. Yes, the scale is a great motivator, but in this case, when you are feeling great and then have to be dissapointed by what the scale says, I say go with how you feel!! Great job, its so hard to get back on the wagon and you have definitley proved that you have made a lifestyle change by doing it! woo woo.

Jessie August 30, 2010 at 10:30 am

So I’m totally with you! I weigh once a week … and I “lost” 11 lbs two weeks ago … and then they were all back the week after! I’ve been going strong working out for the last 2 months … and not lost a pound! Some people talk about plateaus … you hang there for weeks and all of a sudden drop a bunch … I sure hope thats where I am!

And BRAVO for loving your body! Its hard … and sometimes if only comes in waves and then goes away for a bit! I mean … I love mine too (for the most part)! I can’t say I didn’t have fun making it like this … it screams enjoyment of life … now I’m just trying to find a balance.

Anne @ A JD + Three August 30, 2010 at 10:39 am

zomg – my scale jumps all the time (number wise of course). I think I just have a cheap scale…or maybe I am fat. Take your pick.

I need to feel comfortable in my own skin. I think that means losing at least 50 pounds. A long haul, but I can do it, right?

This week I am working on loosing the paci (figuratively).

molly shalz August 30, 2010 at 11:09 am

We didn’t have a scale for a long time. But my husband just brought one home and I was mad at him for it. I don’t even want to look at it. I’m pretending like it’s not there.

Everyone says I’m skinny and I know I am. But I’m not healthy. Does that make sense? I eat horribly. I don’t exercise. I feel just . . . i don’t know . . . yucky.

I was in a swimsuit this weekend and I looked down at my body and I was not happy. I could stand to tone up. I’m 4 months post partum and my jeans still leave marks on my muffin top.

My husband and I are in talks to buy a treadmill. Because with winter on the way and two babies I need some form of INSIDE exercise.

MrsGrant August 30, 2010 at 11:28 am

My scale does that to me too, except unlike you I did not work out this week. Bad me! Keep it up…all that matters is that you are trying to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

angeles August 30, 2010 at 11:28 am

Ditch the scale. I finally had to stop using my digital scale. It was way too inconsistent….wide ranges from day to day and even at multiple weigh-ins at the same time. Go back to an el cheapo manual scale. Those are much more accurate.

notelizabeth August 30, 2010 at 12:12 pm

i ditto ditching the digital scale. mine is completely retarded. when i get on 3 times in a row, i could get 3 different numbers. i nudge it over an inch, i could gain 4 lbs.

the only thing w/our old school scale is i noticed it also got “off” and i’d have to always re-calibrate it w/my hand weights (cuz those should stay the same weight right?). which is why we got the digital in the first place …

i’d chalk it up to wonky scale and go w/being happy about how you feel. keep shakin the magic 8 ball, keep hoppin on the scale. one day we’ll all get the answer we want right?

Katie August 30, 2010 at 12:18 pm

I think you’re just brave for getting ON the scale. I am afraid of mine.

PartyMom August 30, 2010 at 12:26 pm

“Where do you think you need to be to feel good about yourself?” Do you know how many times I’ve asked myself that question? I’ve never found the answer, and I’m worried I never will.

Congratulations on the weight loss. I’d take the loss if I were you and just be sure to drink lots of water for the next few days. Keep up the good work…you’re an awesome inspiration!

Liz August 30, 2010 at 12:31 pm
Kate August 30, 2010 at 12:57 pm

It could be broken but probably not. Make sure you’re weighing yourself at the same time every day and in the same clothes. I found that the easiest thing was just to weigh myself right before I got in the shower in the morning so that I didn’t have to worry about the clothes issue :)

Lori August 30, 2010 at 1:11 pm

Okay, I HAD to comment today in regards to the scale. I have the EXACT.SAME.ONE you do (which I know because I bought it off Amazon using the link you provided when you posted about yours several months back). Anyway, mine is crazy too! I get on it in the morning, and if I “weigh” the exact same number as the day before (including the tenths), then I pick up a couple of books, weigh myself, then put the books down and weigh again. The number always goes down. Seriously. It’s like it has to reset it’s memory or something. And then sometimes, I just weigh more the next day because I had too many french fries at lunch the day before and the book trick doesn’t work. But seriously, try it!

Shay Brewer August 30, 2010 at 2:10 pm

I had a scale problem too this week! The one I use at the gym was broken… so I went and bought one to keep at home!

Here is my post I did… didn’t link back to McFatty Monday this week I forgot… however I will try and add it in! I am not happy yet. But I hope to be soon!

Hopefully your scale behaves it self next week!

Keep it up!

Momma to 3
*Shay B*

Heidi August 30, 2010 at 2:50 pm

Maybe your scale is just sick…mine is..I got on it the other day and I weighed 80 lbs but then DH got on and he weighed in at 300(he’s way under that for the record)..
I feel out of McFatty Mondays for a couple months(had a few other things going on which did not help the weight issue(Pg and then another mc) so here we are again…jumping on the neverending wagon..
Keep it up Blair, you’re doing great! HOpefully your scale gets over itself and gives you great numbers! I’ll be jumping in next week with a McFatty Monday post when I actually have something to say other than..here we effing go again.

Rebecca August 30, 2010 at 3:56 pm

Also I hope you are only weighing yourself FIRST thing in the morning!!! I will not get near a scale after that. WAY too depressing. I see a scale after 9:00 a.m. and I have a reaction like a vampire to a cross. Get that evil thing AWAY!!! *shrieks and runs*

bonzer-christina August 30, 2010 at 4:33 pm

my closet is broken.
I keep putting my clothes in there and they come out smaller and smaller.

Kathleen August 30, 2010 at 5:51 pm

My scale is definitely weird sometimes so I completely understand.

I make sure to try to weigh myself every day at the same time (in the morning before I’ve eaten anything). It helps me to know that it’s accurate and one less thing to worry about.

ellie August 30, 2010 at 6:11 pm

i don’t know if you’ve read this, but it made me think of you.. she’s so good at writing!

Michelle August 30, 2010 at 6:30 pm

I just wanted to tell you that I ordered Nutrisystem after seeing how well it has worked for you. Stay positive you are doing great! Also, muscle weighs more than fat so you could be toning up!!

Jacqueline August 30, 2010 at 9:40 pm

I think I felt great about myself post-baby but the pressure of getting pregnant and doing it all over again so soon had me a little rattled. Once I found out we were expecting I suddenly felt more confident and more forgiving–I can’t help but be more accepting of myself when I’m growing a baby :)

I think your determination is admirable and regardless of what the scale says THIS week, if you keep up your efforts they are going to pay off. No way around it!

Molly August 30, 2010 at 11:26 pm

Weight loss is such a roller coaster. It personally drives me bananas.
I’m sorry to say that I’m afraid that you’re scale isn’t broken, it sounds like water weight.
There are so many variables to be considered. Bowel movements (gross, but true), where you are in your cycle, how much salt you’ve eaten, blah, blah, blah.
At any rate, you’re doing great! Keep up the awesome work!!! Hee-Haw!