When people stop being nice, & start being real. You know, with food. Not Brooklyn.

by heirtoblair on April 19, 2010

Picture 8 When people stop being nice, & start being real.  You know, with food.  Not Brooklyn.So not a HUGE difference from last week, just 0.8 lbs but that is still pretty damn good.  I also got out & had a long walk with a good friend yesterday, then took Tuck & Harrison out with The Momma last night, so tons of walking.  It feels nice that my thighs don’t chafe each other anymore.  You know, that I don’t have to shake powder on them before leaving the house to prevent chub-rub (that was a serious issue of mine during pregnancy).

I get a lot of questions from folks, asking what I’ll do when I’m done losing weight.  Will I gain it all back once I’m not eating Nutrisystem?  They tell me that Nutrisystem isn’t teaching me how to make a lifestyle change, but as I go through the process, I beg to differ.

• It’s taught me portion control.  Yes, I eat outside the Nutrisystem plan sometimes – I have to!  Life is too crazy to just stick to it 100%.  But when I eat…let’s say, The Momma’s lasagna…I look at the portion & think, “Okay, if this was Nutrisystem lasagna, how much would there be?”  It’s an excellent way to re-learn how proper portions should look, especially since I am such a visual person.
  • It’s taught me dessert is okay.  Which has taught me that dinner doesn’t have to be “then end” of the day.  I used to get STUFFED at dinner because I felt like, “Okay, this is it” which validated second helpings.  Now, as long as I’m not hungry, I stop eating.  Because I know that in a few hours, I can have dessert with a cup of tea to wind down the evening.  (of course, this also goes back to my first point of portion control on dessert!)
  • It’s taught me HOW IMPORTANT protein is.  Nutrisystem meals are PACKED with protein, plus you add in protein throughout the day in the form of dairy, meat, etc.  I usually have Nutrisystem granola, which has 4 grams of protein, & also an egg with a piece of fruit.
  • It has also taught me that, you know, veggies are not the love language of the devil.
  • It has taught me WHEN to eat – I have my breakfast around 7:30am, then a snack around 10pm (protein & fruit!) & then lunch around noon.  A few hours later, I have another snack, then dinner at 7ish, then dessert around 9pm.  So I’m basically eating every couple of hours & I NEVER feel hungry.
  • Most importantly, it’s taught me to LET GO of emotional eating.  Stuffing an entire bag of peanut butter M&M’s into my mouth may be incredibly tasty, but it’s not going to solve the problem.  All it will do is create an issue with the buttons on my pants.

So what is your plan for making this long-term?  Will you keep counting calories, points, or will you simply be taking the lessons learned?  Will you be weighing your food, using your hand as a guide for measurements, or simply watching the number on the scale?  What makes you KNOW that you’re making a lifestyle change instead of just a quick fix?

IMG 3597 1024x768 When people stop being nice, & start being real.  You know, with food.  Not Brooklyn.

maybe it’s the exercise you’re getting with your baby? icon wink When people stop being nice, & start being real.  You know, with food.  Not Brooklyn.

Anne April 19, 2010 at 5:09 am

Long term I think I am going to continue running. It makes me feel accomplished :) Hopefully I lose weight because of it.

You are doing so well! Keep going!

Here is my post – I talk about boobs :)

LCW April 19, 2010 at 5:10 am

I find that eating every few hours keep my blood sugar where it needs to be so I don't get dizzy or lightheaded and I don't engorge my face with huge portions or second and third helpings. I'm blessed with the fact that bfing has allowed me to indulge in a lot of extra calories. But bfing isn't forever, so I need to start re-teaching myself portion control.

I didn't have a great week last week. My weekly post is more of a follow up of my mini breakdown on Friday. Back on the horse this week. More exercise, less reeses for breakfast and a better attitude. Because my husband is taking on more, relieving me of some stress and I've learned that sometimes it's ok to take a break. The floors won't hate me for not washing them.

Brandi April 19, 2010 at 5:19 am

We are switching to a more clean living lifestyle, which is naturally a diet. Natures diet. :) I want to be about 80% clean in our eating. Check out the books, it's amazing! I have to admit, I had wondered about Nutrisystem and what happens afterwards. Thanks for explaining it! :)

Law Momma April 19, 2010 at 5:36 am

Yay You! I am actually terrified of going through this process. Right now, I pretty much eat everything. J is breastfeeding and he's so huge that he's actually caused me to lose all my pregnancy weight plus another 14 pounds.

BUT… what happens when I stop breastfeeding? Because I have gotten in the habit of EATING. And I mean REALLY eating. Like way more than when I was pregnant. I may have to do McFattier than Blair Mondays in a few months… :)

Kate West April 19, 2010 at 5:45 am

Great tips Blair. Keep it up! There's always a plateau in the middle of weight loss.

Elisabeth April 19, 2010 at 5:47 am

Great job! I was only down a bit this week too, but a loss is a loss!

I'm trying to approach this weight loss as re-learning how to eat. Right now I'm not really counting calories, but instead focusing on what I'm eating. If I'm making the right choices, with the right portions, the rest will fall in line. I'll continue to weigh myself once a week or so, and if I'm straying outside the 5 pound window, I'll re-evaluate. BUT, that's all far in the future! I've still got another 35-40 pounds to go.

Here's my post for this week: http://myronickmusings.wordpress.com/2010/04/19/m

Apparently P April 19, 2010 at 6:00 am

Down is down — Congratulations! I wish I was able to keep with it the way you have, especially with all you've got going on. I'm starting over today with a new goal and a new deadline. I'll have a better status report next week, I promise!

notelizabeth April 19, 2010 at 6:11 am

i'm gonna (try to) keep working out, keep eating better (aka at home!), drink tons of water. i just started last week so i just wanna keep going and really form healthier habits.

Carrie April 19, 2010 at 6:23 am

My trick is that I always eat off of a salad plate instead of a dinner plate. It automatically decreases my portion size, and takes up less room in the dishwasher :)

Angie April 19, 2010 at 6:25 am

Your posts have really inspired me to get my rear into gear. Being a working mom with three young children, a husband, a dog, and two cats, I have seriously neglected taking better care of myself. I have starting walking/running in the late evening after baby #3 is down for the night and trying to do a better job of watching what I eat. It has made me feel better about myself, and I am, for the first time in my life, excited to exercise each evening. Of course, that might have a lot to do with having a little time to myself. :-)

Thanks so much fo the inspiration!

Janelle April 19, 2010 at 6:33 am

I think it is awesome that you are viewing this as a lifestyle change, and not just a temporary diet to get you to your goal. That was what made the biggest different to me – not going on a diet to loose weight, but simply realizing that I wasn't going to be happy with my body eating and living the way I did. Although I'm 9 months pregnant right now, I'm still at least 10 lbs under my heaviest, and quite proud of that! My secret? Not a secret at all – eat more veggies and fruit, less stuff that comes from a box/tin/bag, and get some exercise every day. I also eat every few hours and make sure I get some protein with most meals/snacks.

Krista April 19, 2010 at 6:35 am

Finally broke my plateau (not by much). I think, like you, I've made lifestyle changes with portions and choices. I will continue to follow this path and hope for a long term success and life versus a quick drop in weight and then struggle to keep it off.

Krista April 19, 2010 at 6:36 am

I have no idea why my comment went wonky at the last minute and didn't post. Wierd. Hopefully it doesn't post twice.

I think I've made a lifestyle change, like you, with portions and choices and will continue to do that and hope for a slow life of success versus quick drop and struggle.

Stephanie April 19, 2010 at 6:41 am

At this point, I don't even need to count calories anymore because I know how to make healthy choices and I know how big serving sizes are. I have definitely made a lifestyle change and it feels great.

I eat at pretty much the same times that you do, minus the desert. I'm usually not hungry after dinner.

Jenny Joe April 19, 2010 at 6:48 am

Nutrisystem sounds like a great plan – especially since you've already proven that you can be off of the program and still lose weight. I think my plan for making this long term is to take baby steps so by the time I get to the end everything feels like second nature!

bonzer-christina April 19, 2010 at 7:00 am

I'm sure you've asked yourself this as well as have been asked it before.

Why not Weight Watchers? you don't have to buy that yucky, preservative filled packaged food… and it's all about portion control, moderation not deprivation and exercise.

I've decided that Im going to join the weight watchers masses and see where it gets me.

I don't have an overeating problem, I have an undereating problem which is just as bad because I'm always running on empty and shoving whatever is in arms reach down my throat to compensate

Heidi-D April 19, 2010 at 7:18 am

I am in some weird holding pattern… Ugh! So, time for some Zumba and Herbal Life, I think!

Nicole Yarid April 19, 2010 at 7:29 am

I hope you do find the transition easy when your all done with this leg of the journey! I eat mostly all organic, no sugar substitutes, lower sodium, no artificial colors, no preservatives and healthy oils. I can't do that when I eat out , so I try to avoid those but sometimes it happens and my body can feel it. If you read my blog this week you'll see what damage some M&M's can do.

Good job with the weight loss and exercise. Do you still do any 30 day shred?

Surf Momma April 19, 2010 at 7:34 am

I'm joining in on McFatty Monday :) Time to loose the last of the married/baby weight. I've been a Weight Watchers girl for many years so I'm getting back to it! Living at the beach watching a bunch of tiny girls in their tiny bikinis is getting my rear in gear! Blair, you've done a great job – Keep it up!

Jacksonsmommy April 19, 2010 at 7:38 am

My McFatty post.

You have done a fantastic job with losing weight!

Penny April 19, 2010 at 7:42 am

Progress is progress :o) I plan to continue trying to work on portion size forever. One of the thing that I have found helps is eating on a smaller plate. That way I don't feel the need to fill a gigantic dinner plate like I did before. And I bought some of the Pyrex 1 cup size bowls, so that if something is a 1 cup or 1/2 cup serving size it is very easy to measure.

Stephanie April 19, 2010 at 8:48 am

I’m going to continue counting calories as much as possible. It’s really the best thing for me, but I’ve gotten pretty good at “eyeballing” what I can and can’t have :)

You and Harrison are so stinkin’ cute!

I’m down 89 pounds now…almost 4 pounds this week! WOOT WOOT!!!!

And you’re doing kick ass, Blair…keep it up!!!

Laura April 19, 2010 at 8:48 am

South Beach has definitely taught me about healthy eating and I have totally changed my eating habits around this. I have FINALLY made it into my super skinny sexy jeans again( WOOT) and I am down to 121lbs!!!!! This is huge! I am 6 lbs BELOW pre-preg weight and feeling awesome!

Victoria April 19, 2010 at 8:53 am

When I'm at my goal weight (2ish months) I'm not going to excessively count calories but take what I have learnt and make mostly healthy choices which naturally keeps the calories down. Drinking water is key so I'm going to keep that up as well. I love this new place I'm at now and the new confidence I have gained! I won't want to give that up by gaining the weight back that's for sure!

olivea April 19, 2010 at 8:57 am

I’ve also learned that eating every few hours is clutch to not pigging out later in the evening. I have also learned that planning ahead and packing both my breakfast and lunch keeps me on track and stops me from visiting the snack stand at work.

I am still so far from my goal weight, but these are the lessons I will continue once I finally reach. Down 3 pounds this week!

pregali80 April 19, 2010 at 9:05 am

congrats on winning the battle with emotional eating! I've realized just how much I do it. i fell off the wagon this week. but I'm getting back on. here's how http://bigsmilesformama.blogspot.com/2010/04/mcfa

Katie April 19, 2010 at 9:27 am

A good week for me, but I'm feeling pretty discouraged overall. I was doing a Biggest Loser challenge with friends and didn't even come close to making my goal for it. Now that it's over, I'll keep right on going, though!

liz April 19, 2010 at 10:02 am

keep up the good work, blair!!!

i totally can relate with the powder to deter the chub-rub during pregnancy. i even blogged about loving gold-bond powder at that point in my life! but not now! i can wear skirts again without worrying about it… so nice…

as for the long term – you are right on with the eating frequently, and portion control… one has to be able to have sweets and mama's lasagna and whatever else… but to be able to eat those things sensibly… that's the key…

thanks again for your committment and encouragement!

Angie April 19, 2010 at 10:34 am

Love the star tats btw… i have a lil one on my right foot….

i love how honest and open you are to all your readers! I think your system is definitely the key to living a healthy lifestyle. You do not deprive yourself yet your not over indulging. I to went though a time where food was my comfort ( not postpartum, rather the death of my grandfather 7 years ago), as a result i gained nearly 40 pounds. Thankfully I have lost the weight and then some first by going to a doctor who put me on antidepressants (that helped with the depression) and then with constant working out and eating reasonable portions. I have now kept the weight off and continue do so by portion control and working out.

;)

you will be able to, too.

Heidi April 19, 2010 at 10:43 am

Go Blair..wittling that weight down!!

I definitely agree with Penny about the smaller plate. DH was brought up in a house that you filled your plate so smaller plates are a life saver.

I fell off the wagon in a big ugly way but I'm back on. I"m so bad at dieting, so I'm trying to make healthy habits instead..

Great job everyone!!

Here's my post!

Krista April 19, 2010 at 11:29 am

I am like a broken record… But I will say it again…

AMAZING!! Still so proud of you and all you're accomplishing!!

Slumpy kind of week… but I'm coming back with a vengeance!!! You just wait!

Jessica April 19, 2010 at 11:54 am

I just started Nutrisystem 2 weeks ago. My husband started a month ago and is down 16lbs, I am down 6lbs. I don't get a morning snack, unless I am doing it wrong? I will have to reread my brochure, I would LOVE to eat a snack mid morning since my kids wake up sooo early! So far I have found that it makes me really aware of what I am eating and what kinds of food I am eating. I did Weight Watchers after my first DS and I would eat all my points- but of junky food. Nutrisystem makes sure you are getting enough of the right kinds of food. I hope to only have to do this for 1-2 months and then just stick with portion control and right kinds of food. Good luck to you!

Heidi-D April 19, 2010 at 12:00 pm

FYI… I gave you an award… Check out the post at my blog
http://itsjustmeheidid.blogspot.com/2010/04/what-… – I'm sure you've received so many over the years… But you have really inspired me! So… Thanks!

Mary April 19, 2010 at 3:05 pm

Blair you are the best! I try to squeeze in workouts in front of the TV. On Wednesday night, will be doing girl-pushups in front of the season finale of Accidentally on Purpose, reliving the delivery experience:

Jessica April 19, 2010 at 5:09 pm

Congrats Blair!

I don't know how I'm going to keep the weight off yet. I'm trying to make some major lifestyle changes and hopefully that will be the key to staying at a healthy weight.

Jacqueline from Marb April 19, 2010 at 5:29 pm

This is a great post Blair! I've never doubted your ability to reach your goals or your ability to solve the inevitable challenges brought on by weight loss/weight maintenance/being healthy in general through healthful eating and exercise. I love how weight loss success brings out the naysayers…

Honestly, I've found that being healthy is a lifelong project that (especially for women, who have babies) is kind of cyclical. Besides babies, there's illness, stressful life events, menopause…. The routines that we carve out for ourselves this week or this month, may not work for us or our families down the road, and then we'll have to adapt. I don't worry too much about later, I focus on now. I carry my values wherever I go.

I got to train with a professional boxer this week! And I made a video! Check it out!!

Hayley April 19, 2010 at 5:40 pm

You have really inspired me to take control of my life and start working out and eating healthy. It's gonna take me a while to get into the swing of things but I'm looking forward to getting healthy and checking in with you along the way!

Here is a link to my very first McFatty Monday post!

erin April 19, 2010 at 6:33 pm

totally agree! i'm on weightwatchers right now. but even when i stop counting points and completely relying on their recipes, i've learned what foods are loaded with fat and what a portion is. that cereal may be healthy, but not if you eat 5 bowls of it kind of thing.

p.s. i love baby pushups. some motivation to get down there!

Karen April 19, 2010 at 8:02 pm

Congrats on kicking that chub-rub to the curb! And huge congrats on the lifestyle changes!

I think I am definitely gaining some experience that will help me in the long term. I've become much more active, and have felt so much healthier recently, even though I'm not really losing weight.

And I know I'm going to keep up the activity, regardless of the effect it has on the scale, if for no other reason than that I've noticed it has improved my "bumpin' uglies" stamina. And that is an amazing motivator :)

Becca April 19, 2010 at 9:22 pm

You're amazing! Over 30 lbs?!?!? I am seriously in awe of you! Good for you & that is such a sweet picture!

I am doing WW and there are days when I don't count points, but I don't overeat. I have learned so much about portion control AND about what is good and healthy to eat. To keep it off, I plan to keep the "points" of foods in the back of my mind and keep a fairly active lifestyle, as that seems to be the key to me keeping in shape.

melissa April 19, 2010 at 9:24 pm

alright, i'm on the wagon! let's lose this baby weight!

keep up the good work, and keep inspiring us!!

Julie April 20, 2010 at 10:56 am

I just want to say Thank You for starting this! I have been held accountable during my little weight loss journey b/c of my blog and doing McFatty Mondays even if no one really reads my posts. I feel like I HAVE to post and when I do badly I don't want that hanging over my head!

I am inspired by so many of the women who post here and also by you!

Thanks!

metta1313 April 20, 2010 at 4:37 pm

What makes me know I’m making a lifestyle change is the fact that I’m not obsessing over food. If I want a little sweet taste I have it. I can tell it’s already working b/c being back at school there have been lots of tasty things to have in the break room. Most days I skip them, but if I chose to indulge, I just have 1 small piece and not several like I used to. And another teacher offered me a piece of chocolate and was super surprised when I declined. Now if I can only figure out how the hell I’m gonna get back to working out b/c I can’t use the “I’m a new working momma” excuse forever.

Here is my sort of McFatty Monday post…

Kate April 23, 2010 at 9:07 am

I guess I forgot to leave my post… check out my response @ http://teacherslife-kate.blogspot.com/ :)